User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 03:51 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Overhead and Oil Change Questions?

I just got back from getting the oil changed at the Freightliner Dealership in Chattanooga. They quoted me a price of $195.91, but forgot to mention that it only included 1 oil filter. (Mine has two)

Question number one is this: What all do they do when you get the Oil Change Service. The reason I am asking this is because when I asked the person who took my money, they replied, the usual, oil change and lube.

Heck if that is all there is to an oil change I could do this. Could someone tell me if there is more to the oil change and lube.

The second question is the mechanic who did the service told me there was nothing in the oil as far as metal etc...

He said that it wouldn't be a bad suggestion to get an overhead run on the truck, but he wouldn't get a dyno test on the Truck.

I asked him what that would cost, and he told me he had no idea of the cost.

So my second question is this, what happens when they do an overhead and would you recommend it?

I have a 350BC Cummings Engine, mileage unknown.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When I get an oil change I not only change the oil filters, but also replace the 2 fuel filters. I replace the water filter about every 3rd change. I lube everything including the fifth wheel and trailer. When the trailer is serviced I always make sure the landing gear gets plenty of grease. An overhead is basically a tune up for a diesel engine. They check and adjust everything on top, such as the jake brake and replace anything which is well worn. I know some who have it done annually. I believe most manufacturers suggest having it done every 250M miles. You can check your owners manual. I believe CAT charges about $250 to run the overhead. I would think that Freightliner would be comparable.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:57 AM

An NTC 350 cummings should have the overhead ran about every 100K miles or so. They are easy to do. Get someone who has done this, as well as driven one to do the work. That way the mechanic should know the difference between an average and a great overhead setting.

A good mechanic can make a 350 walk the dog, a bad one will make it run like a sick dog.

The engine should be warm, and leave all valve settings a little on the loose side. Make sure the injector tension is on the money.

I have done quite a few with good results. The man who taught me could make a 290 leave a stock 350 looking at tail lights.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Board Regular

The oil change and lube, I can handle, heck I thought there were many different things they do on this, but as for finding someone to do the overhead this is another story.

I have had this Truck looked at by 6 different mechanics, and only one seemed to know more than I did about it. (This would not take much to know more than I do about them)

They don't seem to mind charging you for not doing what you requested to get done.

I would love to get the overhead run on it as it doesn't seem to have the power it should for a 350, but I am afraid I would find someone who would make it worse off.

I am very disgusted with people telling you they can fix something, working on it, charging you, and when you try it out and bring it back to tell them that didn't fix the problem, they look like a deer caught in the headlight freeze.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Since you live near Chattanooga, you may want to check with Southeastern Diesel. They have a pretty good reputation and should be able to handle the overhead with no problem. There is a Cummins dealer in Chattanooga. I don't know much about them. Most of the truck dealers are certified to work on most of the major engines. I have used the KW dealer in Chattanooga. They do fairly good work, but I always seem to pay more than the original estimate when I take something by to be repaired. There is another garage in town who is supposed to be pretty good. I don't know anything about them. I believe the name is Truck and Trailer. They are close to Southeastern. If it were me, I would probably go to Southeastern to have it done. They should charge a little less than one of the big truck dealers.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Board Regular

I appreciate the information and advice. I had to get a wheel seal and bearings replaced today. I found a garage that is only 10 miles from my house to do the work, and was I really pleased.

I talked to a man who started out working on 350 BC Cummins in 92, and does the overhead on the two tow trucks that both have 350 BCC in them.

I spent 2 hours talking to him while he did work on my truck, and really learned a good bit.

GMAN, I appreciate the info on the Chattanooga Area, and will keep it in mind.

This is such a great web site to check out and get questions answered.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Board Icon

An overhead is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to do on scheduled intervals. Without it, the pistons may eventually start getting too close to the heads, which will cause your camshaft to wear out prematurely. I worked for a guy who once refused to do it, and when the truck broke down once, they took the bottom end off, and the camshaft was worn really bad. The truck had about 600,000 miles on it without ever having an overhead done.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Local KW dealership quoted me $350.00 to do my E-Model, and they said it'd take about 4 hours to do. Not much money or downtime at all for a BIG improvement in performance and fuel economy, IMO.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
When the trailer is serviced I always make sure the landing gear gets plenty of grease.
YES YES YES!

I hate landing gears that are shot! Mostly other companies trailers.

Be sure to use a high quality LITHIUM based grease!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Board Regular

Just got my Truck back from getting the overhead run on it, and boy does it make a big difference!

So far since buying this truck (1985 FLC, with 350 BCC) I have had:

1. Oil Changed & Serviced
2. New Brakes
3. New Steer and Drive Tires
4. 2 Wheel Seals and 2 Wheel Bearings replaced.
5. Overhead run, with no problems found.

I was really concerned about this as I do not know how many miles this engine has on it, and was afraid that I would get a bad report. You know like the oil is gunk-ed up in the valve covers, metal shavings etc.... , so was I really surprised when I picked it up the mechanic told me your engine is clean enough to eat off of.

I asked him what he was talking about, he replied that he thought it would be a mess, but was shocked it was so clean on the inside. The other mechanics said he got them to look at it because they wouldn't believe him! That was great!

My question is this:

I am still new to this O/O, drove 8 years as a company driver, and would like advice and pointers on other items that I may need to get checked or check myself.

I really appreciate the information and advice that all of you have given me, it has really made a difference.

GMAN and REV, I understand now what you meant about finding a mechanic who knows and is willing to talk to you about your truck is a diamond in the rough. Thank You.