User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pete 379 air filters

Just a note to you 379 owners, I bought 2 new air filters yesterday at my local truck parts shop. They were 30$ apiece cheaper than pete filters, the exact same filter, you just have to drill a 5/8 hole in the bottom for the rod to go thru. Actually it saved me an instant 63 bucks! I was skeptical at first, but we compared the filters and they are the exact same filter, only if they come from Pete the holes allready in it. Theyve sold em to the pete owners for a few years now with no problems.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Pete 379 air filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibnflannel
Just a note to you 379 owners, I bought 2 new air filters yesterday at my local truck parts shop. They were 30$ apiece cheaper than pete filters, the exact same filter, you just have to drill a 5/8 hole in the bottom for the rod to go thru. Actually it saved me an instant 63 bucks! I was skeptical at first, but we compared the filters and they are the exact same filter, only if they come from Pete the holes allready in it. Theyve sold em to the pete owners for a few years now with no problems.
If you gotta drill holes in them, then they aren't the EXACT SAME filter, now are they? :wink:

Just because they look similar, doesn't mean they are. The cheaper filter MAY not trap dust particles as well as the pricier filter. That is like comparing a Wal Mart oil filter to a FleetGuard oil filter - sure, they look similar, and they both filter the oil, but one does a better job.

I'll pay the extra $60 and go with the OEM filters, thanks. :wink:
Old 11-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you have to alter the filter in any way I would stay away from it, because it isn't the same filter. I always have these truck stops and oil change people tell me that the non CAT filters are the same. You can see a difference. I will stay with the name brand. I only buy CAT fuel and oil filters because I believe they are better made. You might try going to Truckpro or some other truck parts store, if you don't want to get them at Peterbilt, but I would stay away from any filter that I had to alter to make it work.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I forget what filter it was maybe a ford filter or something but the guy at the truck part store told me that Donaldson made them filters for ford and am just paying the couple xtra dollars for the ford name on the filter and i bought the Donaldson filter for like 10 bucks cheaper. Who makes CAT filters???

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-12-2006, 02:41 PM

ok, let me be more specific here , that way you wont feel compelled to insult my intelligence. i do know the value of buying o.e.m. spec'ed parts, im not comparing wal mart filters to fleetguard. The EXACT Fleetguard filter af 865 from Pete has holes in the bottom for the rod to go thru. The Same filter af 865 not ordered from Pete has no holes for the rod because its used in other applications besides peterbilt air cleaners. Farm, Industrial, etc. Same filter, different application, 30$ cheaper. I can drill 2 holes for 60$ thank you.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Board Regular

bibnflannel does your Pete have the vortex style air cleaner or is the top hat secured by 4 bolts? I have a 2000 with the 4 bolt style and have always felt that $75 a filter was a rip off. Rev.Vassago all that matters is that the sealing areas are the same and that the length is the same. If yu never try anything new you'll never learn anything! Although judging by your smartass replies to a lot of posts you think you now everything already :roll:
Old 11-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by special k
bibnflannel does your Pete have the vortex style air cleaner or is the top hat secured by 4 bolts? I have a 2000 with the 4 bolt style and have always felt that $75 a filter was a rip off. Rev.Vassago all that matters is that the sealing areas are the same and that the length is the same. If yu never try anything new you'll never learn anything! Although judging by your smartass replies to a lot of posts you think you now everything already :roll:

I would say I know enough. :wink:
Old 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

What I've never understood is why people think spending the extra money is somehow "better". Most of the time the "branded" items are made by someone else.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
What I've never understood is why people think spending the extra money is somehow "better". Most of the time the "branded" items are made by someone else.
I use OEM parts because of the fact that my truck is under warranty. If I ran into a problem with the truck, and they found non-OEM parts in there, it MAY void my warranty.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM

I have the vortox style air cleaners with the long center rod that holds the top hat in place. And if Im not mistaken, I believe Fleetguard will assume the warranty on any engine that fails because of their product being defective.