User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What are company drivers' responsiblilities for IFTA?

I am scheduled to go out of my state for a pick up. The box truck I am supposed to drive does not have apportioned plates and only has New York H.U.T.

Does the responsibility to produce proof of taxes (IFTA) fall on the driver or is the carrier solely responsible for compliance of these laws?

In otherwords, if I can not produce proof of tax documentation for a particular state, is that equivalent of say driving without proof of registration?

I use a log book and it is easy enough to keep track of how many miles I drive in a state but I can't make my boss pay the taxes.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: What are company drivers' responsiblilities for IFTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapchap70
I am scheduled to go out of my state for a pick up. The box truck I am supposed to drive does not have apportioned plates and only has New York H.U.T.

Does the responsibility to produce proof of taxes (IFTA) fall on the driver or is the carrier solely responsible for compliance of these laws?

In otherwords, if I can not produce proof of tax documentation for a particular state, is that equivalent of say driving without proof of registration?

I use a log book and it is easy enough to keep track of how many miles I drive in a state but I can't make my boss pay the taxes.
You must have your IFTA registration in the cab at all times if travelling interstate. If the carrier does not have it, they can request a temporary IFTA registration, which is good for 90 days.

The fine for not having your IFTA registration is quite hefty - It is like driving a car with no plates.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The company should have the needed permits in the truck. It is your responsibility to check to see that you have everything you need to be legal. If you are in doubt, you should get with your company before taking the truck out of state.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Every so often look in the permit folder they gave you and keep an eye open for expiration dates.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 AM

I told my boss that I didn't think the truck could legally go out of state and he told me that it wasn't my responsibility when I asked whose it was. I would not knowingly drive a truck with no registration or insurance. Does this fall under the same category where I ought to refuse to cross the state line?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Board Icon

Drivers responsibility-Your Butt
Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
I told my boss that I didn't think the truck could legally go out of state and he told me that it wasn't my responsibility when I asked whose it was. I would not knowingly drive a truck with no registration or insurance. Does this fall under the same category where I ought to refuse to cross the state line?
Put it this way: If you are stopped at a scale, and they ask to see your registration, not only will your employer get several hefty fines, but the vehicle will be put out of service.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Actually you may or may not be legal. What is the Registered weight of the vehicle? You say a box truck. If the truck's gross is under 26,000 lbs, then you are not required to follow IFTA or IRP laws.

Even so, over 10,001 you have to have a DOT number to cross the lines, and if your gross is over 26k, then yes you will need temp fuel and trip permits.

Like the rev said, 9 chances outa 10 if your butts covered, ie logs, etc The technical end is going back on them. However an OOS out of service, will surely ruin your day, and if they find some hefty violations off the bat, they are sure to dig in a little deeper.

If the employer does not provide you with temp permits, report him to Dept of Labor and Industry, or whoever else will listen.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Default How I resolved the issue

I suggested to my boss this morning that I take a smaller vehicle since I was only picking up one drum of spent latex paint (turned out to be about 15 gallons) and we didn't need to use a truck with a GVWR of 32,900 lbs because of the motor fuel tax issue. (Don't ask!!!) :? :roll:

He had no problem with it but it turned out that the little trucks with tail gates were scheduled to be used so it was back to the bigger truck. I wrote a statement in my log book for my boss to sign before I left. It said something to the effect of "I know it is illegal to operate in New Jersey with this truck without a motor fuel tax permit and I caused the vehicle to be operated in that jurisdiction anyway." He did not sign it and asked why I was making a big deal of this. I told him that if it was no big deal that he should sign the statement. I ended up going in a vehicle with no tailgate (turned out to be no big deal) that had a GVWR of about 10,700 and it had a D.O.T. number.

The truck was not quite up to snuff but I was unable to site a section number pertaining to what is acceptable for a back door. I think it is best that when one butts heads with a boss, he better be right. Hopefully I won't have to take that truck again or I'll have to look it up.

:roll: :roll:

By the way, this thread may be better suited to go in the Rules and Regulations area. I started this directly in a search and I was in the Owner Operator area.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: How I resolved the issue

Way to stick to your guns. I'm proud of ya. :wink:

Quote:
The truck was not quite up to snuff but I was unable to site a section number pertaining to what is acceptable for a back door. I think it is best that when one butts heads with a boss, he better be right. Hopefully I won't have to take that truck again or I'll have to look it up.
Ask, and you shall receive:

Quote:
§398.4 Driving of motor vehicles.

(a) Compliance required. Every motor carrier shall comply with the requirements of this part, shall instruct its officers, agents, representatives and drivers with respect thereto, and shall take such measures as are necessary to insure compliance therewith by such persons. All officers, agents, representatives, drivers, and employees of motor carriers directly concerned with the management, maintenance, operation, or driving of motor vehicles, shall comply with and be conversant with the requirements of this part.

(g)(2) Doors, tarpaulins, tailgates and other equipment. No motor vehicle shall be driven unless the tailgate, tailboard, tarpaulins, doors, all equipment and rigging used in the operation of said vehicle, and all means of fastening the load, are securely in place.