LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Why some people fail

I stopped at a Pilot just north of Columbus a couple of days ago. I could not get in my side box, so I solicited the aid of the driver next to me. He pushed on the box while I released it. The door was in a bind from something I had placed in it the day before. The guy was nice, but really got on a tirade about the business. He apparently got into trouble as an owner operator and now works for as a company driver. It seems that all his troubles and the reason he could not make it as an owner operator is all George Bush and the oil companies fault. It was also the fault of all us "Southern Boys" hauling $0.90/mile freight. I could not seem to get a word in once he got started. He had been leased to Landstar and apparently could not make a living, so he either parked or sold his truck. He has been with his present carrier about 2 or 3 months, and now is considering leaving and going to Heartland. Hear that Twilight Flyer?

While I felt sorry for this guy, he wanted to blame everyone for his failure but himself. This can be a tough business. He failed to make needed adjustments to be successful. He didn't need to haul $0.90/mile freight, that was his decision. I couldn't really ask any questions, because of the ranting. I suspect that he came into this business with limited experience and resources. This guy will find it difficult to succeed anywhere until he changes his attitude.

I think your attitude and how you approach the challenges life throws at you has more to do with success than any other single thing. You need money to succeed in this business, but your attitude will see you through a lot of obstacles. You can have a lot of money in the bank, but a poor attitude can have you broke in no time.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Board Member

YOUR ATTITUDE CAN DETERMINE YOUR ALTITUDE.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:03 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Hear it all the time, nothing new....i for one try to stay away from places like truck stops, unless i have to fuel or take a shower, its all the same..

dunno
Old 11-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
he wanted to blame everyone for his failure but himself.

That seem to be the new "American way" for everything

"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"

Quote:
I think your attitude and how you approach the challenges life throws at you has more to do with success than any other single thing.

Couldn't have said it better 8) 8)
Old 11-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Execellent post. Couldn't agree more. Also agree with all the posts above mine. 8)
Old 11-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Why some people fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I stopped at a Pilot just north of Columbus a couple of days ago. I could not get in my side box, so I solicited the aid of the driver next to me. He pushed on the box while I released it. The door was in a bind from something I had placed in it the day before. The guy was nice, but really got on a tirade about the business. He apparently got into trouble as an owner operator and now works for as a company driver. It seems that all his troubles and the reason he could not make it as an owner operator is all George Bush and the oil companies fault. It was also the fault of all us "Southern Boys" hauling $0.90/mile freight. I could not seem to get a word in once he got started. He had been leased to Landstar and apparently could not make a living, so he either parked or sold his truck. He has been with his present carrier about 2 or 3 months, and now is considering leaving and going to Heartland. Hear that Twilight Flyer?

While I felt sorry for this guy, he wanted to blame everyone for his failure but himself. This can be a tough business. He failed to make needed adjustments to be successful. He didn't need to haul $0.90/mile freight, that was his decision. I couldn't really ask any questions, because of the ranting. I suspect that he came into this business with limited experience and resources. This guy will find it difficult to succeed anywhere until he changes his attitude.

I think your attitude and how you approach the challenges life throws at you has more to do with success than any other single thing. You need money to succeed in this business, but your attitude will see you through a lot of obstacles. You can have a lot of money in the bank, but a poor attitude can have you broke in no time.
GMAN, you ALWAYS seem to be right on with your posts. I for one want to thank you for all your contributions. You are a well read, and articulated. You even get me to read subjects I have no interest in, i.e.-any and all O/O posts, due to I have no interest in being one. Yet, I catch myself reading them just to see your input. Well done, and I'm sure I speak for many on this board when I say THANX! You're definitely a class act!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are going to make my head swell, WildK9. ops: I appreciate it. I always enjoy reading about new things. You never know what you might learn.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Ditto, well said Wildk9.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You are going to make my head swell, WildK9. Thank you for the compliments. I feel that it always good to read about new subjects. You never know what you might learn.
I agree. There was a time a few years ago, that I wanted to be an O/O. After researching and lots of analyzing/thinking, I realized that it wasn't for me. I have all the desire/drive in the world to drive a truck, but not nearly enough to own one. I respect all those that do, mainly the ones who make it work for them year after year.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Rookie

While you are all thanking G-man, let me add that it was your posts (G-man) that have helped me the most.
Sure I went to get my brokers license (have not used it but the info was invaluable), sure I had drove for other companies for 2 years, sure I had asked alot of questions,.....but it here with posts like yours that have provided the most info.
The biggest one was the whole buy a good used truck thing and set your own rates. (not that I did not want a new truck,...but I am fairly mechanically inclined, so a good used truck made the most sense)
I payed $9,000 for my 95 International 9400 (w-100inch sleeper) and put $7,000 into to make it road ready.
I payed $12,000 for a newer aluminum step-deck (more than for the truck!!!)
I was going to get a truck in the $50,000 range and a trailer in the $25,000 range. When all is said and done,....I have $30,000 invested in both and still had $70,000 left over to take care of the rest (I sold one of my houses at a really great profit).
I now run when I want,...where I want and for the rate I want. Sure I sit a little, but with all this computer stuff and plenty of things to do on the road (I also tote a small yamaha motorcycle with me) I never find myself bored and the money is a rollin' in.
I have driven 15,000 trouble free miles in this old truck and she seems to be holding together really well (an the shower/toilet/kitchen unit is not too bad either) in another couple of weeks I will be back to my old saving amount of $100,000, and my start up money will all be replaced.

Thanks again for all the info, and I will be sure to pass it on if the situation presents itself.

Drive safe.