LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
The one thing that puzzles me with your posts is how willing you are to share how you make your living with the WORLD.

There are millions of people out there that would love to be in your shoes. With all the right information from YOUR hard work, and then posting it, you might be setting up your own competition, not to mention the guys that have been in the business for years and posted nothing.

You don't have to look very hard to see how giant corporations go to lengths to protect their business interests from COMPETITION.

I can just see Ford or GM posting.... This is how we did it and it's a piece of cake. Heck, they even disguise their new models before they are released.

You have got to be kidding me right, transfers and belly dumps are a dime a dozen around here. The COMPETITION around here is what it is and won't change Except to get worse and cheaper with all the towel heads trying to get all the work by being cheaper then the rest.

JMO
Chuck
Yeah, I was kidding, who cares at this point, right.
Let's see if we can get the rates down to fifty bucks.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:51 PM

Floored Very interesting reading what you're doing with your tranfer dump. Keep us posted please.

I live in Va, been OTR for years, but been interested in getting into dumps. Never seen any tranfer dumps around here. don't know why, because it seems to be a good way to go.

See quite a few long wheelbase 7-8 axle, say one get called into the scales one day. so long he was having trouble getting around the corner to go back in the lot!! Would have been easy with a "Hinge" in the middle.

BTW, I was just out in Sac at the "forty niner" visiting some old buddies in the area. Nice town.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member

any new up dates floored :?: :?:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Rookie

Floored,
Congrats on the new venture. Wish you the best of luck.

A good friend of mine is a dump truck o/o in FL. Finds his own work...does not work for any company. He's doing very well and has so much work he has to turn down loads. He said the first few months were slow because he was not yet known in the area. He "pounded the pavement" by making contact with all the construction companies in the area. Now (15 months later) he's considering buying a second truck and hiring a driver so he doesn't have to turn down larger contracts.

The first year he netted $65,000. This year he's on track to net around $90,000. He's home every night, swings by his house for lunch every day, gets to see his sons leave for school in the morning and come home in the afternoon, has every weekend off because the quarries don't run on weekends in our area, and (drum roll please) he can't wipe that silly grin off his face.

I would just ignore the naysayers. Most of the time they are people who would love to do what you're doing but are simply too scared to make the move or take the risk. Risk-takers are the people who are successful. Those large trucking companies did not start out with thousands of trucks. They started with one truck and one guy with a dream. Bill Gates dropped out of college to pursue his dream. He offered his radical ideas to IBM and they laughed at him. Sam Walton started out with a mom/pop store. The list goes on but with every story it begins with a person with a dream and the guts to take a chance.

Ignore those people with 30+ years of experience telling you they can't make any money. Wow! Thirty years of experience and can't get it right. Those are the last guys who should be giving advice.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Board Regular

Any update to this thread?

How much did you wind up clearing after all expense's in a year?
Old 05-24-2008, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

I dunno if she's coming back, but I don't think she's looking into getting into a transfer truck anytime soon.