User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 10:33 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

A eariler comment was made twards my truck having to piggy back the weight of the box. Here is a photo from the company I purchased the truck from showing a tank strapped to the frame, this truck has piggybacked heavy weight on its back with a trailer its entire life. Just a FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal79
Floored,I was surprised to see a 5 axle material truck hauling for $80.00 an hour. What surprised me is the rate, down in so-cal we get $83-85 hr for a 3 axle my truck & pup rate is $95 an hour.
Yeah $80-$85 iseems to be the going rate here in Sacto for transfer trucks, my truck also gets paid on a tonage rate, which usually works out to our hourly rate or a little better. It does not suprize me at all you get a higher rate where you are, everything is more in So. Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded
I am not familiar with your application, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you a single frame will not last. However, for your safety, please keep an eye out for cracks. I have seen double frames crack on several occasions, so don't think it can't happen.
I always check my truck out for leaks, cracks and other pending problems. Again, pretty much every transfer truck here in Sacramento is not double framed. In fact a very large transfer company only runs alumium frames as my truck is. One of these days I'll have to bring my camera and take photos of our average job site for you east coasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarFan
The outfit I work for has just purchased a 2000 Freightliner short hood classic day cab that we are going to put a dump body on (even though I advised against) the tractor is long enough so we don't have to do any frame work so maybe it will be alright.

Floored do you happen to know what your rig weighs?
I can't remeber off the top of my head, I can give you my tare weight w/ box and trailer tomorrow when I weigh in (provided we don't get rained out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Hey floored i am from the EAST where we are normal. lol. I do not understand these transfer trucks we do not have them out here just normal stright trucks or dump trailers. Why dont you use dump trailers??. I know a stright truck in PA can haul 73,280 If spec right you can get around 25.5 tons on for a payload. Diff weight laws i guess.
My truck hauls 25.36 tons as an average with a max gross weight of 80,000. I will quote a write up I found on how a transfer truck works and maybe it will make some sense to those who don't use these in your area:

Quote:
TRANSFER TRAILERS

For many years the transfer trailer has been a popular and widely used dump truck / dump trailer combination in the western United States. Primarily used by those that need the maximum payload of a truck and trailer combination but are dumping in unlevel terrain or small areas that would be very difficult in getting a trailer in and out of, the transfer trailer is often the only answer to their hauling problem. For instance, imagine trying to dump a 38 foot long semi trailer or a conventional body and pup trailer on a unvlevel mountainous terrain or in an small area, large enough to only accept a dump truck. Or imagine the inefficiency of moving loads many miles using a 15 yard dump body, when you could haul nearly twice that using a trailer. Neither are very good options. This is were the transfer trailer is beneficial. By being able to transfer the trailer body up inside the dump body inorder to be dumped, dumping of both loads can be done in close quarters and the entire sequence take only about 10 minutes.

HERE'S HOW IS WORKS.
The operator
1) unhooks from trailer and dumps loaded dump body
2) operator returns and backs up to pup trailer
3) pup body is rolled off of pup chassis and inside dump body using either electric or hydraulic power and pup body is then dumped.
4) empty pup body is returned and rolled back onto pup chassis and
5) truck and trailer are hooked back up and ready for another load....all done by one man....in approximately 10 minutes. The convenience of being able to back the truck up remotely from outside the cab and a spring assist drawbar make it easy for the operator to re-hook the trailer to the truck.

Here in CA we got ten wheelers, bottom dumps (single trailer and doubles), end dumps (always a single trailer here) and transfer trucks running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhook
Its all about bridge law. What I dont get is: wouldn't it be easier, (plus same weight spacing) to just pull a 36+ ft dump w/ a spread?

Calf is definetly different!
It be easier using a dump truck with no trailer, but the transfer is not hard at all to operate and takes less than 10 mins to dump and re-hook. Unlike a truck with a 36+ ft dump the transfer can get into smaller areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
why do the west coasters stretch out the pup trailers like that?
That's not a pup trailer. It's a truck & transfer. You drop the trailer on flat ground, go and dump (they use tailgates that move up and out of the way instead of swing) the truck. Go back to the trailer and back over the tongue up to the front of the trailer. There are holes where the trailer fits into the truck. Then you hook up hydraulic hoses to the trailer and "transfer" the trailer box into the truck. Go dump it and come back to the trailer and transfer it back to the trailer.

And Alice is correct. They are almost always on compacted gravel or other semi hard surfaces. T&T rarely do excavation. To keep the rails safe. Dirt would likely be the only thing they ever haul back. No class #500 quarry rock or asphalt excavation.

T&T do a lot of asphalt work as it can be a tight area. They can still deliver the 25 ton load of a truck & pup, but they fit into a truck only area. Truck & pup asphalt is only good for very large areas.
Exactly, thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
Local Bedbuggers get wayy less for local work, so I find this thread interesting. Its good to see you making great money or what appears to be). As stated above, us HHG do brag about money, but its great to see another drive from a different niche to show us another way.
Truck has been earning $600-$900 a day so far with a average of 30 gallons of fuel used each day. Thats hauling about 4-5 loads each day.

Quote:
This is a setup like we use.
Looks like a rough ride. Nothing like that out here that I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclac
I can transfer that in 5 minutes from the time i leave the truck until i get back in it.

You better hope we don't have a winter like last year Sacramento was wet for months, that's why i got into gas instead. I work year round
Yeah one guy where I am was telling me this past Spring was tough, he had a total of 50 hrs for one month. Still not too bad, about 4k in income, better than McD's. Again, I am not the sole provider for my family and the truck payment is low so I'll be okay if it slows down. Gotta make it while you can and be smart with the money you make when its going good for those bad times.

Sorry for the LOOOONG post, been busy working and didn't get online at all for the past few days. Truck is running top notch, very fuel friendly (averaging 6 mpg) and using a little under 150 gallons for a full weeks work. As said in a above reply its been earning $600-$900 a day to the truck with the longest work day so far of 11hrs. Again, if your in this area or another area running transfers and you want to buy a truck I think one can do very well if you run it smart. I'll give you guys some actual dollar amounts once the pay checks roll in and I have some expenses logged, it will be after Christmas though since thats when I'll see my first settlement (just how my company does business, paid once a month with your first pay period held back one month, it sucks but I have cash in the bank so I'll be okay).
Old 11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You'll always get good mpg with a truck & transfer. You run empty 1/2 the time... :P

Plus, you're only running at 80k. T&T run up to 105,500 up here. Dual quads, we call them. 4 axle truck and trailer both.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 PM

floored,

If you see an Interstae Oil Company truck (Silver Pete 2005) blowing its horn it will be me saying HI!!! i am usllly in truck 51 we are all over this area so i am bound to see you out there.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
You'll always get good mpg with a truck & transfer. You run empty 1/2 the time... :P

Plus, you're only running at 80k. T&T run up to 105,500 up here. Dual quads, we call them. 4 axle truck and trailer both.
LOL true! I don't mind though, its so much better than using 300 gallons a day in my old OTR truck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclac
floored,

If you see an Interstae Oil Company truck (Silver Pete 2005) blowing its horn it will be me saying HI!!! i am usllly in truck 51 we are all over this area so i am bound to see you out there.
Sounds good, I'll keep a eye out for ya! I've been running off of Hwy 50 to Hwy 99, most my loads seem to be in Elk Grove right now.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Board Regular

"Looks like a rough ride. Nothing like that out here that I've ever seen."

I don't think are Macks ride that bad but I drive a International 9900 with chrome so who cares about anything else. :lol:
Old 11-13-2006, 01:51 PM
floored

Quote:
"Looks like a rough ride. Nothing like that out here that I've ever seen."

I don't think are Macks ride that bad but I drive a International 9900 with chrome so who cares about anything else. :lol:
Not talking about the Mack its self, I was thinking more about that trailer set up and where that thing must be pulling out of as far as the rough ride
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Board Regular

Just saw where you said you were pregnant congrats.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:07 PM
floored

Quote:
Just saw where you said you were pregnant congrats.
Thanks

Having a boy btw
Old 11-23-2006, 03:12 PM

The one thing that puzzles me with your posts is how willing you are to share how you make your living with the WORLD.

There are millions of people out there that would love to be in your shoes. With all the right information from YOUR hard work, and then posting it, you might be setting up your own competition, not to mention the guys that have been in the business for years and posted nothing.

You don't have to look very hard to see how giant corporations go to lengths to protect their business interests from COMPETITION.

I can just see Ford or GM posting.... This is how we did it and it's a piece of cake. Heck, they even disguise their new models before they are released.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby
The one thing that puzzles me with your posts is how willing you are to share how you make your living with the WORLD.

There are millions of people out there that would love to be in your shoes. With all the right information from YOUR hard work, and then posting it, you might be setting up your own competition, not to mention the guys that have been in the business for years and posted nothing.

You don't have to look very hard to see how giant corporations go to lengths to protect their business interests from COMPETITION.

I can just see Ford or GM posting.... This is how we did it and it's a piece of cake. Heck, they even disguise their new models before they are released.

You have got to be kidding me right, transfers and belly dumps are a dime a dozen around here. The COMPETITION around here is what it is and won't change Except to get worse and cheaper with all the towel heads trying to get all the work by being cheaper then the rest.

JMO
Chuck