User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default $$ per mile-im missing somethig here

OK, just got done figuring out our cost per mile for the past 6 months, it came to about 1.05 cpm, with driver $$ of 45k per year. Yes we have a minimal truck payment, no health insurance, etc.

That being after maint, fuel, etc.

My question is this, what is wrong with 1.40 loads? I admit I have taken 1 load that paid 1.45 just to get out of the area and back to some good paying frieght, but other than the fact MORE MONEY IS BETTER. If the driver/truck costs 1.05 cpm, then the other 35cpm would be rainy day money right?

Yes I dont jump all over the junk freight, our standard rate is much higher, but what am i missing :?:
Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Board Regular

You answered it yourself. $45k for driver wages you can make without the risk of ownership and no benefits....

You're supposed to be the business owner, not a driver, if you want to be a driver, get a good job (that pays better than 45k) and has benefits.

I don't have a 'less expensive' truck, won't work for $45k and max out the ROTHs plus SEP and have more insurance than I'd care to think about. Needless to say, 1.40 ain't happening.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The problem with $1.40/mile loads is that they don't pay enough, with costs of running a truck being so high. Like Truckdobe stated, if you can only net $45M you may be better off as a company driver. When you take the cheap loads, it only fuels the flames to keep rates low. Rates rise and fall due to capacity and their ability to move the freight. If freight sits at the shipper too long, then rates will rise until they find someone who will take the load. It is a very simple concept, but there are many who fail to fully understand the long range implications of taking that cheap load. I understand that there are those who are not well funded and they may not have fuel money to deadhead out of a bad area. If that is the case, and you continue to need to take the cheap loads to keep rolling, then something is wrong. You need to raise your expectations and demand a higher rate for your truck to move. The main thing to remember is that no one can tell you how much you should charge to run your truck. Everyone's expenses are different. What seems like a fair rate for you may not seem like a good rate for me. Truckdobe may have a different rate then either of us. I have a target rate that I always try to get. Some areas have a higher target rate. I also have a minimum rate for which I will take a load. Unless I can make a fair profit I don't take the load.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Re-read his post guys, he's saying hes getting .35 cents a mile AFTER 45k in salary.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Don't confuse us with the facts. :wink: You are correct. So he is probably making less than $45,000. :shock:
Old 10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Re-read his post guys, he's saying hes getting .35 cents a mile AFTER 45k in salary.
Then why doesn't he have a full benefits package?

http://www.ooida.com/trucking_tools/..._Worksheet.htm

That worksheet is very basic, but even it includes HEALTH insurance.

I just reran mine based on that simple sheet; threw in a new trailer payment just b/c at some point I may want to buy another new one and left the original values in maintenance to simplify. It came up with .979 pm before driver wages and ROI.

Basing your prices on your current condition implies that you will always drive _____ and pull _____. For the past 5+ years that I haven't had a truck or trailer payment, I still charged as if I were paying them (large ones) just in case I decided to upgrade. I didn't think I would, but I did and the payments aren't shocking and didn't really change my cost per mile b/c I've been including ghost payments all along.

I suppose your rates are your business. It's obvious that there are plenty of people who will haul for that and less, it makes it hard for everyone else, but I suppose that's just more BS to deal with and part of doing business.

Having a rate set in concrete basically doesn't work IMO, 'good' $$$ out of the NE is totally different than 'good' $$$ into the NE; the same for FL, CA, the NW etc.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: $$ per mile-im missing somethig here

Quote:
Originally Posted by csramsey640
OK, just got done figuring out our cost per mile for the past 6 months, it came to about 1.05 cpm, with driver $$ of 45k per year. Yes we have a minimal truck payment, no health insurance, etc.

That being after maint, fuel, etc.

My question is this, what is wrong with 1.40 loads? I admit I have taken 1 load that paid 1.45 just to get out of the area and back to some good paying frieght, but other than the fact MORE MONEY IS BETTER. If the driver/truck costs 1.05 cpm, then the other 35cpm would be rainy day money right?

Yes I dont jump all over the junk freight, our standard rate is much higher, but what am i missing :?:
If you factor in deadhead and out of route miles I'd say you need to shoot for $1.80 to average $1.40.

I'd like to see a cost breakdown on that $1.05. Here are some of mine....Canadian yes but you get the idea.

Fuel costs are about $.50 per mile (7 CDN mpg at .$80/L)
Driver is $.33 (no benefits whatsoever)

Following expenses are based on $150,000 miles.
Truck is $.10 ($80,000 over 5 years, paid cash, no interest whatsoever)
Liability Insurance is $.08 ($13,000)

So we're up to $1.01 per mile and I haven't even got to maitenance, cargo insurance, tolls, fines, idling, accident insurance, Unemployment Insurance, Pension plan, authority costs, fuel tax, accountant fees, cell phone, faxes, meals, showers......and there's no trailer in this example.

I wonder if you're going broke and don't know it.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Nothing wrong with your numbers Rank, but I would like to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Quote:
That is a good number to start with, but I would like to see you budget for $0.50 per mile. If you can earn that with some experience as a company driver there is no reason to be a truck owner for inexperienced driver wages. That $0.50 will also cover some benefits. Note that profit is a seperate category in my book.

Quote:
It is good that you can do that. My question is why would you want to drive 150,000 miles per year if you own your truck. You could be more selective and take 80,000 miles of good paying freight instead. More gross money, less fuel expense, less wear on your truck, more time off. Looking at if from a cash flow perspective: If you figure a $2500 truck payment per month and run 10,000 miles per month average your truck cost is $0.25 per mile.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Rawlco"]Nothing wrong with your numbers Rank, but I would like to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Quote:
That is a good number to start with, but I would like to see you budget for $0.50 per mile. If you can earn that with some experience as a company driver there is no reason to be a truck owner for inexperienced driver wages. That $0.50 will also cover some benefits. Note that profit is a seperate category in my book.
We are a private carrier and that is about what we pay our drivers when they drive. These guys used to be company guys and o/o's but they either lost their trucks or burned out. I'll be the first to admit that $.33 aint alot but it's dedicated, they're home at least 5 nights a week, they show up when they want, they get $12/hr for waiting, they don't have to load....heck they don't even circle check.

Quote:
It is good that you can do that. My question is why would you want to drive 150,000 miles per year if you own your truck. You could be more selective and take 80,000 miles of good paying freight instead. More gross money, less fuel expense, less wear on your truck, more time off. Looking at if from a cash flow perspective: If you figure a $2500 truck payment per month and run 10,000 miles per month average your truck cost is $0.25 per mile.
True. See above. The reality is that the 150,000 is split primarily over 2 trucks and three drivers.

As for the $150,000...I used a high number to get the original posters cpm down.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:30 PM

Like I said I do not take 1.40 freight, but I decided it best because the truck was in S. FL and our customer had a load in S. Georgia that wasnt quite ready, instead of drive roughly 430 miles at my expense.

Now the same example in other parts of the county, no id never budge for the low of money, but 1.40 covered our butts up through FL, and I didnt have to fork the bill running empty, yes we have the money to, but I feel it best for our company to atleast cover the truck expenses if an absolute must.

I was pretty happy with 1.40 when I saw countless drivers sitting all over S FL, and I was back to our regular customers. We went down with decent pay knowing that our chances of deadheading back out were high, however everything lined up this time.

We dont need 10 cpm for more chrome, and 5 cpm for dish network, 3cpm for 20 more LED's, etc I see it everyday, and I see why people NEED $3.00/pm because of all the toys they have to have. Yes I do love $3 pm freight, and jump all over it, however with our situation we dont need to sit and wait for it. Like you guys said, we all differ. But we all agree cheap Freight hurts us all in the long run.

I guess thats why I choose this board, people overall do seem to
"agree to disagree" and all in all, everyone pitches in where they can. You know I never did account for "profit" at the end of the year. If it costs us 1.05 to 1.15 and thats what we average, then it would be a breakeven. :idea: Geez where was I :roll: