User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 03:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Things could change quite a bit if the American Trucking Association and some of the big carriers such as Schneider have their way. They want to bring in foreign drivers and put speed limiters from the factory on ALL trucks and make it illegal to tamper with them. This is not just their trucks but everyone's trucks.

I think the reason things seemed easier under Slick Willy is because they were too busy following Monica and all the other scandals he and Hillary were a part. It kept Congress too busy to get as many useless laws passed. One thing to keep in mind is that business runs in cycles. This is merely a business cycle. I don't think it really has anything to do with Bush. I believe it would be happening to anyone who was in office. Frankly, I am not sure that it makes much difference who is in office. They all seem to be out for themselves.

Now, back to topic. I hate to see you thinking of giving up the ghost. I understand your frustration, mudawg. Have you considered getting rid of the new windcatcher and getting something less expensive to pay for and operate? You could increase your fuel mileage by 20% and add that to your bottom line. I almost bought a W900 a couple of years ago myself. I am very thankful that I didn't. Since I looked at them, I know what type of payment you are facing every month. That is a lot of cash outlay, plus insurance is much more expensive on a newer, more expensive truck. What ever you decide, I am sure things will work out for the best.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:58 AM

I know I do lash out at the right wingers a lot but it is not uncalled for IMO.As far as trading the truck,I do understand the advantages of the "ant eater" style having owned some but,as far as buying one new the cost is less than a grand and trade time the cost is way over whatever you would save in fuel (with the smog engines we are forced into having)The monthly payment on my '05 is only $500 p/month more than my '96 was (2 trucks ago)Don't you think we all should be able to absorb such a meaningless rise?????in ten years....The numbers just don't add up,to me.
In 1947 my grandfather's company got more than a grand and two and a half days to go to NYC from Boston,where all the road driver did was meet the local guy in his car in the city and went to the hotel where the guy banged on his door when the trailer (35ft) was loaded again and off he went.Today back and forth for half the money (not including inflation)in one third the time.!!!!!!70+ years later we work for less money?!?!?!?!?!Remember in his day fuel was a nickle or p/gal and a new truck was a grand.
I feel like I'm stuck in a bad marriage.I got into it because I love it but,now that I'm here I wish I could find a way out.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm having a bit of a problem with the concept of "buy a new truck". Mine is nearly paid off, and the one thing I realize after the years of paying, is that it isn't making one thin dime for ME until it isn't supporting a finance company anymore. And, now especially. New oils, new ultra-low sulfur fuels, particle filters. The more you put onto a simple piece of machinery, the more there is to go wrong with it. When mine is fully paid for, it's going to be around for a while. I want to take some time to go fishing. There are trucks with more than 5 million miles on them, and they are still doing the same job as mine is. I didn't buy a truck to keep a finance company in business. I bought it so that at some point, it's going to bring in the money so that I can do some of the things I want to do. That won't happen till the finance company signs off on it. Why should I go right back into debt again?

No matter what kind of truck you have, you are not likely to get your money out of it by selling it. With the number of years you've owned your own truck, you've been trading in and running a shiny new one a few times. If your truck was paid off, you could park it and try the new job. If you like it, stay with it and sell the truck for what you can get. If you don't like it, or the diesel in your blood starts complaining, you can put it back on the road. From what you've had to say, it sounds to me like you're "STUCK". Nice having a new truck, but you may find yourself "MARRIED" to it.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Nice having a new truck, but you may find yourself "MARRIED" to it.
Here we go again!
New, or old, you are "married" to it anyway, it's just matter of personal preferences, and comfort level.
Just as in a real marriage, it's just different type of "activities"! :P

But only time, will tell, if it was real "deal".

And once again, i believe, it doesn't really much matter. The only really matter is, if you are making it, or not!
I've even started O/O business, with a new truck, and no reserve, which is a NO! NO!, in a most popular opinion.
10+ years, i'm still in business, still with the bought new truck, and plenty of "reserve".

May be i just got lucky,...or may be i did something right, ....or both... :roll: :wink:
Old 10-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Sometimes you can get lucky and not have to spend a lot of money on a major breakdown. Sometimes everything goes right. Sometimes they don't. It is that you should be prepared for most contingencies. There is no way to be 100% prepared for any and everything which can go wrong. Even if you have a new truck things can break and may not be covered under a warranty. The difference is that if you have a cheap truck payment or a truck that is paid off, you have more options open to you. There is not the stress of having to make a $2,000+ monthly truck payment along with major repairs. When things slow down, you are still obligated to make those high truck payments. If your truck is paid off or you have a cheap payment, you can find a driving job and not ruin your credit because you can't make the large truck payments.

Mudawg, you are right about costs being much lower a few decades ago. I remember when diesel and kerosene were selling for around $0.15-0.17/gallon. You could buy a new truck for $25-32M (thousand for you, Rev) :wink: Freight rates are somewhat suppressed right now because owner operators continue to haul freight for fuel money. If they would let the freight sit on the shipper's docks, rates would come up. It is difficult to get that concept across to some people. If it doesn't make a profit for you, don't take the load. It can be difficult for some who have high financial obligations to pass on any load. However, if you are only buying fuel money or breaking even, you would be better off sitting or deadheading out of an area. I do hope you can get things worked out, Mudawg. Things will improve somewhat, after the election.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 PM

I was talking to another driver about my thoughts and he said 10 years from now I would still be thinking about bailing which made me laugh because I know he was right :lol:
GMAN I have been known to dead head quite a ways and leave the cheap stuff stay on the ground but,there is always a long list of those "will work for chrome/fuel" drivers right there and shippers/agents + brokers know it.We need more folks like us in this racket.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudawg
I was talking to another driver about my thoughts and he said 10 years from now I would still be thinking about bailing which made me laugh because I know he was right :lol:
GMAN I have been known to dead head quite a ways and leave the cheap stuff stay on the ground but,there is always a long list of those "will work for chrome/fuel" drivers right there and shippers/agents + brokers know it.We need more folks like us in this racket.
It is so much better to let that cheap freight sit. The problem is someone else hauls it so the shipper thinks the rate is okay. I opened an email today from a shipper that was offering lumber loads at $1.15 per mile. It wont go on my trucks, but someone will take it. :cry:
Old 10-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I can't wait until tomorrow. I saw an OD load posted as a partial. It was 10' tall and 10' wide and I believe 14' long. I will be surprised if they want to pay more than $1.50 including permits. It will need to go on either a step deck or double drop because of the height. A standard flat would be too tall.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Rookie
Default I too am thinking of getting out

Here is my story.

Bought old truck and trailer 2 weeks before Katrina hit. A little over a year now I have been running my own authority. freight rates are rock bottom and sometimes I just deadhead out if I can't find paying freight. I put over 12000 dollars in the past few months in my truck and trailer. last sunday I headed out for wilkes barre, pa with my load, I only got about 80 miles from home and the truck threw a lifter roller through the engine block. To make a long story short I am now driving a Penske truck temporarily. I am not sure I want to buy another truck or put a new motor in the other truck for 25 grand. It is constantly a struggle to find freight that will even pay 1.50 a mile. I haul flowers part time but not much of that this fall. It pays a little better but more work involved which I don't mind

Backhauls are nightmare lately!!! 1.05 a mile, NO WAY!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

This is more of a general question and not directed towards Mudawg. You all know I know dick about the industry but I see lots of posts about people in trouble and not making it due to cheap loads. I belong to a few load boards and I just went in to the internet truckstop and did a few checks. I may be wrong but they are many places I could go if I were in trouble. I could run 7 days a week between PA and OH for example and I see rates that are actually posted anywhere from $1.40 to $1.70. Even at $1.40 and running back and forth would be more than enough to keep one out of trouble. You would have to stay away from home for maybe 3 or 4 weeks at a time going to where the work is. I may be over simplifying the problem but can't you just go where the work is instead of waiting around for work in your local area?