Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

just a quick comment on own authority
there is plenty of money to be made as a leased o/o
many times its the same difference as having own authority
I have my authority for a year now.
It is not for everyone
You need years of experience as an o/o to even consider it.
I see posters suggest "just go out and get your own authority"
Trust me this kind of step is the big leagues.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
I see posters suggest "just go out and get your own authority"
Trust me this kind of step is the big leagues.
It was very modest of you! :P

But seriously, that seems to be a problem! Too many people, enter the industry, w/o having a slightest clue, what are they doing! :sad:
Old 10-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Board Regular

My dad has been an O/O for 35 years and has done well. Many of my dads friends have been in just as long, but have lil to show for it. Some of them basically run to pay for their shiny trucks and pocket lil else. This is a business where u get what u put in, and you better have a good money mgmt skills. My dad has always driven a nice truck, but nothing elaborate, and also......he has always chosen to go fuel mileage instead of looks.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:19 AM

It's not what you make, It's what you keep.

I sit down the other day in Joplin at the Petro with a fellow owner operator and we both called into the company. We both was wanting to know how much our settlement checks were. I got mine and then handed the phone to him, when he was told he was in the hole because of too many cash advances, he got mad and told them they made a mistake and was chewing on the payroll clerks ass pretty good, said he needed the money to make his truck payment and he only had one advance in the last two weeks. Well we are allowed $250 a week off our fuel card and if we need more we just make a phone call. He hangs up and calls dispatch and asks for another $250, I here the dispatcher tell him that he is in the hole and he has already received $500 that week in advance, he tells him that he has to send it to is wife to pay bills before they shut his Utility's off. Dispatch gives him a comcheck for $250 and he cashes it before we leave. When we leave the Petro we stop at 4 States Chrome Shop, I kept my money in my pocket and you guessed it, he bought over $200 worth of chrome. I said something to him about being broke, he said I will get up the road and call in for another advance and tell them I blew a tire or something.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
Chrome does not put money in your pocket or food on the table.
But it does get the pu**y into the sleeper 8) :lol:
Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
Chrome does not put money in your pocket or food on the table.
Probably, but myself, I would not want a puppy in my cab. They would pee all over the place when you sleep and chew on your slippers.

Hope this helps answer your question. I'm a super trucker in case you haven't noticed. I haven't hauled a single load yet but I seem to know everything.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:24 AM

Stevey is going to make a killing in this industry as he has an IQ, and will apply common business sense to the profession he has decided to enter, trucking.

Others seem to take the opinion of I am making a mint but I have been doing this since 1945 when "you went uphill on both sides of a hill and we liked it". Therefore anyone with less experience will make nothing.

Sometimes I smile when I see the same trucks day after day, running up and down the highway losing money every mile. You would think they would sell the farm after a few money losing years but they do not, I wonder why.

I laid it out on another thread, a guy I run with grosses over 300,000 of 1 truck in a year, has been doing it for years and has a great lifestyle off that 1 truck. Run hard, you beat, 250K miles a year with himself and a drivers splitting the 250. I will model my O/O after this guy, he knows what he is doing. Businessman first, trucker second. Vice versa can get you into trouble at the chrome shop!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Rookie

Well thanks guys for all of the responses! I guess if you know what you are doing you should be okay. Obviosly your choice of truck can determine how okay you can be and a good head on your shoulders will make the difference. I am not planning on jumping into my own just just yet. Like I said I have been in freight for many years but driving a straight truck on regional runs for a little over 4 years, now into the TT work (regional). Once I have been doing this for a few years maybe, I may see what I can do. I want to get a better feel for it before I commit to something like that. Thanks again for all of you input, it has helped!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Probably, but myself, I would not want a puppy in my cab. They would pee all over the place when you sleep and chew on your slippers.
:P 8) :lol: :P
Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John
It's not what you make, It's what you keep.

I sit down the other day in Joplin at the Petro with a fellow owner operator and we both called into the company. We both was wanting to know how much our settlement checks were. I got mine and then handed the phone to him, when he was told he was in the hole because of too many cash advances, he got mad and told them they made a mistake and was chewing on the payroll clerks ass pretty good, said he needed the money to make his truck payment and he only had one advance in the last two weeks. Well we are allowed $250 a week off our fuel card and if we need more we just make a phone call. He hangs up and calls dispatch and asks for another $250, I here the dispatcher tell him that he is in the hole and he has already received $500 that week in advance, he tells him that he has to send it to is wife to pay bills before they shut his Utility's off. Dispatch gives him a comcheck for $250 and he cashes it before we leave. When we leave the Petro we stop at 4 States Chrome Shop, I kept my money in my pocket and you guessed it, he bought over $200 worth of chrome. I said something to him about being broke, he said I will get up the road and call in for another advance and tell them I blew a tire or something.
Wow! That's a very illustrative story!
I don't know, who do you guys leased to, but it didn't sounds good! :sad:
I wouldn't even comment, on that other guy, and his "chrome", cause he is a moron, and wouldn't survive any deal. Not just cause of "chrome", but his attitude, and mentality.

But the whole deal, seems to be, on a low side, if $500 advance, could put you in a "hole".
:roll:

It's good for you John, that you could manage the money! 8)
Now, make a next step, learn how to make it!

Yes, it's not what you make, it's what you keep, but you still got to make some! :wink: