User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What the...!? Puppies!? Pu...!?

Quote:
I sit down the other day in Joplin at the Petro with a fellow owner operator and we both called into the company. We both was wanting to know how much our settlement checks were. I got mine and then handed the phone to him, when he was told he was in the hole because of too many cash advances, he got mad and told them they made a mistake and was chewing on the payroll clerks ass pretty good, said he needed the money to make his truck payment and he only had one advance in the last two weeks. Well we are allowed $250 a week off our fuel card and if we need more we just make a phone call. He hangs up and calls dispatch and asks for another $250, I here the dispatcher tell him that he is in the hole and he has already received $500 that week in advance, he tells him that he has to send it to is wife to pay bills before they shut his Utility's off. Dispatch gives him a comcheck for $250 and he cashes it before we leave. When we leave the Petro we stop at 4 States Chrome Shop, I kept my money in my pocket and you guessed it, he bought over $200 worth of chrome. I said something to him about being broke, he said I will get up the road and call in for another advance and tell them I blew a tire or something.
Aw C'mon, now! You're making that up!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Aw C'mon, now! You're making that up!!!
You don't think there is some guys out their that do that every week, I seen a few, most of them don't last long in the owner operator buisness.

solo379 Super Trucker wrote:

Quote:
I don't know, who do you guys leased to, but it didn't sounds good!
But the whole deal, seems to be, on a low side, if $500 advance, could put you in a "hole".
Where did you get your education, didn't moma teach you how to read when you was a wee little Super Trucker? :lol:

I have a good lease and I think I do very well, same company for ten years. Several good buisness minded owner operators there too, but you always have the guys that would rather spend all their money, then save it for the rainy days, they come and go.

I said he was already in the hole when he got his $500 advance that week and then he got another $250, I did not here the whole story over the phone. Maybe he is a slacker and runs more miles in the truck stop then out on the big road.

Quote:
Now, make a next step, learn how to make it!
O' I know how to make it, how about you? You need some advice just ask. :lol:
Old 10-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Conflicting view on O/O- Real Deal???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilukrz
Okay I have been doing some reading here and other forums and I know that you cannot believe everything you read. But generally most of the opinions on the boards, from O/O's, is that a you cannot make a good living as an O/O, a good living being 60K+, and have a nice truck. I know there are a few who can so I don't want you to pummel me on this, you guys seem to be a small minority, and good for you. Most of the replies go in this direction. Yet when I am on the road, I see so many nice trucks. Are these people living in their trucks, no house, car or anything else??? Does all their money go into their nice big shiny truck? What is the real deal? The replies on the forums do not seem to match what we see on the road. I have been in freight for many years and am driving a straight truck now. I will be driving a company TT very shortly and would like to know what options I may have for myself and what it really takes to have my own big shiny truck I can be proud of. Your honesty is appreciated!!!
Yes you can, but it's not easy.

Some people do live in their trucks and not have homes, cars or other things. Some by choice that can afford them and some because the truck is all they can afford. Most won't tell you which category they fit into, not honesty anyway.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Board Regular

Driverby wrote
"Others seem to take the opinion of I am making a mint but I have been doing this since 1945 when "you went uphill on both sides of a hill and we liked it". Therefore anyone with less experience will make nothing. "

experience is the key and that uphill both sides has to be climbed by you as well my friend.

Whatever you are good at fishing , hunting, video games etc you run into people with the wrong approach and if you feel generous you may give them a tip or two.
but inside you know they wont do well
a)they dont listen
b)they want to do it their way
c)they have a "friend who......"
Its no different with this board

There are drivers on this board who have been in the busness a long time
In a lot of ways we are "whats left" of the zillions of o/o who have tried and failed. ....seen em come and go....

Speaking of fishing I have to check the fall stocking schedule
yes an independant who has time to go fishing.........
Old 10-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John
O' I know how to make it, how about you? You need some advice just ask.

Always could use an advice! I'm all ears, tell me about it!