Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
379 No work today?
Not today, yesterday, day before yesterday, and tomorrow! :lol:
And it was the same last week.
Sunday afternoon, to Tuesday night, one round, once again, got the same load for Monday, wondering, if it's gonna be the same? :roll:

It's not a bad round, but i'd feel better, if i'd make two, w/o sacrificing the rate!
Well, i guess, i'll never make those magic 100, or 150 grand a year net, all the other O/O do! :sad: :lol:
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Board Regular

I parked my truck because I WONT HAUL CHEAP FREIGHT!

well actually I loaded my trailer for this Mon on Wed
came home and did a load as a power only yesterday
then they had no work for me today so I am goofing off and eating stuff out of the fridge like a madman (and I refuse to look at the expiration date)
(I guess olives last forever, hmmm) but I digress
Old 09-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt
I guess olives last forever, hmmm) but I digress
As long, as you didn't run out of tequila, it's all good! :P
Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 PM

Sonny, I parked my truck last fall because I won't haul cheap either and when fuel went up it did me in. We, rock haulers here in Tx, haven't had a raise in yrs and yrs, and with all the mex coming in and doing it for nothing, I parked, tired of it. I rent out both my trailers to the big time o/o, lol.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I just drove back from South Carolina on Thursday. I only remember seeing perhaps 3 flats on the trip until I reached Atlanta. It was almost eerie. I deadheaded back to the house because there was little freight and nothing which had a rate worth hauling. Evidently others felt the same way. I stopped at the Flying J near the SC/GA border and the parking lot was only about half full at 6:00 pm. My waitress said that things had been slow. There comes a time when it isn't worth putting a load on the truck. Fuel has come down, but so have rates. I believe rates should be at or above $2/mile for all loads and more for some areas. Perhaps some owner operators have begun to realize that they cannot work for fuel money. They are better off staying home and saving the wear and tear on their equipment.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Rookie
Default Waiting for the right time....

I am in a dilemma right now. I really want to start running as an O/O, but I refuse to work for under $1.50/mile. That's before FSC! I even stopped driving all together until times start to get better. I went back to my old career field until then. I hope that I won't be waiting long, but the future's not to bright, IMO. Good luck to all the O/Os out there, but as long as drivers accept the situation, it won't change. :cry:
Old 09-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Fuel is beginning to come down, FINALLY!! That should help some, but if freight rates continue to decline, it will be a challenge for some to survive. I don't see things doing a lot better until perhaps spring of next year. We are beginning to enter a regular slow down for some freight. Vans should start to pick up shortly in preparation for Christmas. If fuel prices continue to decline, it could get somewhat better through the end of the year. Right now, some people are very concerned, and rightly so. However, it is good to keep in mind that everything runs in cycles. We are in a slump right now, but it will get better. If you have cash in hand, wait a bit and you should be able to get a good buy in a truck. Many of those who have been taking the cheap rates will not be able to survive the slow down. This would probably be a good time to wait to buy a truck unless you have a good stash of money to carry you for at least 6 months without any income. That doesn't mean that there isn't any freight to haul. Things may be slow for a while. It is not the best time to go into heavy debt. It is a good time to reduce debt and save your money.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Gman, are you trying really hard not to use the R word? A lot of data is coming in that indicates manufacturing and retail is very slow. Long bond yeilds are falling like a rock and the federal funds rate is inverted heavily right now... A lot of indications that we are going into a R.... I can't say it! :shock: :lol:

Your just adding another piece to the puzzle.

Longsnowsm
Old 09-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Longsnowsm, regardless of what happens with the economy, products will still have to move from one point to another. I haven't used the "R" word, but I know of a number of people who are very nervous right now. Some with whom I have talked are reluctant to use another letter to describe current happenings. I have friends who are owner operators or fleet owners and some who have previously owned fleets. We all agree that we are in an unusual slow down and market correction. How is that for being politically correct? :wink: Things will not always be rosy with the economy and business. Construction and manufacturing are two sectors to closely monitor for economic wellness. In my opinion, the Fed misjudged the economy and raised interest rates too quickly. Then, greed from the oil companies had a huge impact, taking a lot of expendable income out of the economy. Owner operators and fleets who have been hauling the cheap freight have helped to keep freight rates too low. Many are now paying the price. I know of several owner operators who have parked their trucks until they can get a decent rate on their truck. But, what do I know? I am only a truck driver.

Out of control fuel prices have affected everyone, regardless of what they do for a living. People are spending less on some things due to having to spend more on fuel. We go through these slow downs on a periodic basis. It is nothing new. If you have low debt and can save your money, you should do just fine. Those with high debt are going to be affected most in any slow down. One reason I talk about having cash reserves and low equipment payments is because of times like we are now experiencing. We should start to get a boost in a couple of weeks. Christmas hauling will begin and that will help to get things rolling again. Still, I don't expect things to improve greatly until around spring. Around mid December trucking tends to slow down. Some of us take off from Christmas until after the first of January. You can still work during that time, but in most sectors, things will be slow. It is a good time to take a couple of weeks off and visit with the family.

I don't want to sound so pessimistic with regards to the economy. As I said, it is part of a regular business cycle.