User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Places To Find Truck Parts

I have bought a 1985 FLC 120 Freightliner and would like to know where are some good places to find parts (Not for the engine, but more on the inside, and items like the freightliner emblem on the hood, and the grill for a 1985). Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and info.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Any Freightliner dealer will be able to order your parts for you. If you want after market goods and chrome, do an online search for Truck chrome, truck toys, etc.......
Old 09-15-2006, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Where do you live? Are you wanting to find a salvage yard near you? Have you tried doing a Google search? You should be able to find quite a few companies.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I had a 1987 FL Classic and the dealer was able to get me headlight bezels, or any little piece that I needed for that truck. If you want an exterior part or interior part you can order from the dealer like I said. One advantage to this is if you have the correct Vin# on your truck and give it to them, they will get you the right part. If you do decide to order from on line, be careful because you will get the wrong part alot of the time. They sell things and say it will fit, let's say 1984-1989 and it does not. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are right about the right parts, sideman. I felt that he was looking for used parts or a salvage yard. I usually order parts from the dealer. My nephew bought parts over the phone and had a problem a time or two getting the right parts. The seller made it good, but it was a hassle for him. In his case it was a computer for his truck. Manufacturer's can make several changes during a year which can make it somewhat difficult to find parts. There don't seem to be a lot of salvage yards for big trucks.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I was wondering about parts myself. Sounds like there is no one to compete with the dealerships. Freightliner want $xx for a part, $xx is what you pay.

Just paid $700 for a fan clutch through Cummins, looks like it ought to be a $100 part. Total repair bill with diagnostic (overheating in the mountains under a load) was $995, and that was reduced from $1295 after I pitched a little fit.

I got a question here about these shops, particularly the ones that want to make you all comfy-cozy in their waiting room while you are far out of sight from your truck and everything going on with it. Some of them, many of them, most of them...they want to run up your repair bill as high as they can justify, is that right? I'm contrasting them to sometimes smaller places where the labor rate is still $60-$80 per hour but they try to give quality and cost efficiency all the same. Is it normal for the big dealerships and shops to try to run up repair bills? Is the guy who merely wants to be paid for doing a good job and doing it right, is he the rare bird!?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Cam, if you can find a Truckpro or Fleet Pride parts store, they can sometimes beat the dealers on some prices. I get a part number off the old part or from the dealer using the vin or serial number and check around for the best price. I get a discount at Kenworth on parts, so sometimes it is cheaper to go there than Truckpro. They are only about a mile apart at home. There are Truckpro and Fleet Pride parts stores in many parts of the country. If you are on the road, it is often easier to find a dealer. One thing to remember is that you can often get the same part from a different dealer than your make or brand of truck. I have bought parts from Freightliner for a Peterbilt. You may need to do some cross referencing, but I have saved money a few times. Some parts are brand specific. They all have parts which must be purchased directly from a dealer.

The large dealers do run bills up. The way they do it is very simple. About 2 or 3 years ago, I had to have injector sleeves put in in Amarillo. The nearest place that could do the work was Peterbilt. They are CAT certified. They gave me an estimate. I was initially pleased that they came in under the time they had allowed. They still charged me "book" price on the work. I was charged about $1,300 (I don't recall exactly) when I would have expected to pay about $1,000 (I don't recall exactly here, either). The mechanic finished more quickly than expected. We discussed it and I was livid about them charging me for time they didn't spend working on my truck. He told me that they worked on a flat rate. The rate was published on a board. I expected to pay for the labor according to the actual time spent on the job, plus parts. Basically, they scammed me out of about 3 hours labor that they didn't spend.

I had another instance where I went to my local International dealer to have brakes put on my truck and trailer. The estimate was around $2,200. The final bill was $3,500. They replaced all brakes, hubs and S-cams. Adding insult to injury, they also charged a shop fee of about $300. They did take the shop fee off. The way they do it is they take the hours from a book. Replacing brakes is one job. Then you have the S-cams which is another job. The hubs were $67 each. I don't recall the cost of the other parts. It wasn't the parts cost that was out of line. It was the labor and hours. I know that they didn't spend the hours that they billed me. They couldn't. You have little choice but to leave the truck or pay them. I bought that truck from this dealer. I expected to be treated fairly. They will never sell me another truck or work on any of my equipment. I have since found a couple of mechanics that charge according to the time spent and don't charge a shop fee. By the way, the shop fee is for things such as WD40, soap, rags, lunch, etc., Just kidding about the lunch. I would do more on my trucks if I had a place to work on them.

If you can do some of your own work, you are much better off and will save a lot of money. I think the way most of these large shops price their work is dishonest. Unless it is major engine work, where I would want to have a warranty, I would attempt to find a reliable local mechanic. I have found a few good mechanics on the road and have kept cards in case something happens while near their shop. We should frequent those shops and mechanics who do a good job for us and treat us fairly.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Believe it, or not, parts prices at some dealers, is very competitive, and a lot of times, could beat the others.
It's all depends on a particular location. In a coarse of my O/O career, i was able to find a few!

Not all truck dealers are crooks, some of them are very professional, and honest.
Notice, i didn't say "cheap", but you'll still get a good value, for their services.
For anything, a little more serious, than the tire, or oil change, i go to OEM dealer, which use to be Volvo, and now it's KW.
Since my engine always been "yellow", it's a CAT dealer for that.

When i find that place i like, i try to establish a good relationship with it. we are on a first name basis, which helps a lot.
Shop around, but when you find a good one, within your lines, stick with it!
Don't assume, that if they got the same name(KW, CAT...ETC) they are all the same, people, who works there, makes all the difference! 8)
Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Food for thought...and I don't mean to take over Papa Rick's thread talking about truck repairs. There still may be a lot of advice drivers can give about where to buy parts. I for one need a little exterior body piece.

Gman wrote:
Quote:
...charging me for time they didn't spend working on my truck. He told me that they worked on a flat rate. The rate was published on a board. I expected to pay for the labor according to the actual time spent on the job...
Is this standard, or what? Besides all the overhead packed into a $90 per hour shop rate, it seems the shops consider it their due if they can finish in half the book time thereby doubling the actual rate per hour. I mean, to them it isn't cheating, they just think it's a bonus in their favor. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I don't seem to remember getting too many surprises because the mechanic finished the job quickly and the bill was to be lower than the estimate. If this really is how these shiny dealerships with the sofas and overstuffed chairs and cable TV work, I'm going to have to try harder to get with a local guy.

Solo wrote:
Quote:
...i go to OEM dealer...
Well, that is interesting. A millionaire, established owner operator goes to the same kind of place I could go to get service work done :shock: Seriously, I know you know how to make money at this thing, Solo, so I pay attention to what you say. I know there are some vets who know how to do a lot of the work themselves. Some guys are really good friends with the mechanic Joe who lives right by. It's just interesting to hear you say you use the dealerships. I can understand how the time of many O/O's is better spent pulling freight and paying the kid across the street to cut the grass, Frank the accountant to do the books and, yes, even Freightshaker or whoever to keep the engine working.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Solo wrote:
Quote:
...i go to OEM dealer...
Well, that is interesting. A millionaire, established owner operator goes to the same kind of place I could go to get service work done :shock:
Cam, the day, i'll become "millionaire", i'll quit driving! :lol:
Unfortunately, i still do! :sad:

Pay attention Cam, i didn't say, i go to any OEM dealer, but very few good ones, that i've discovered, during those "establishment" years! :P
And i've been going that way, ever since i've started.

For me, "cheaper", doesn't necessarily means better!
I've always shoot for the quality and value, and that's in return, gives me piece of mind, and not necessarily cost arm and the leg! :wink: