User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default insurance for local work?

is it cheaper and or easier to get then OTR insurance, an opportunity has darn near fallen into my father in laws lap but with a DUI on his record I dont know how easy the going will be for him, he would just like something to do in the winter.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you plan on running your own authority you will still be required to have liability and cargo insurance. I don't know how long ago he received a DUI, but if enough time has elapsed, it may still be possible. If it is recent I would not be very optimistic. Most insurance companies require at least 2 years experience. There have been a few on this forum who have been able to secure liability insurance with Progressive. You will need to check around for someone. You didn't mention whether you will be leasing on to a carrier or getting your own authority. Where you will be running may also impact whether you can get insurance. More information would be helpful in advising you.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member

he`d be working for himself pulling a dump trailer locally, he`s got plenty of experience driving cause he`s a farmer, but its a little different hauling your own goods as well as being a farmer when it comes to licensing.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think it will primarily hinge on the insurance. How long has it been since the DUI?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Hi Brian,

I can't speak about the DUI but I have found that if you are not far away from home that Progressive has the best rates.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I use Progressive. Reasonable rates, and very easy to get my coverage and I like things to be uncomplicated and fast so it worked good for me. They do want a down payment (mine was around $1200 so be sure to have cash on hand or a CC to cover your down).

Now as far as that offense goes, just call a TRUCK insurance agent/broker and ask for a quote and see what they say. It took me 15 mins total to get my quote and policy started up.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Rookie

Floored, being a truck salesperson I try to locate the best insurance deals for my customers. I wish I could recommend Progressive every time but they have a mileage radius restriction. They are super easy to work with and I have never seen lower rates. I once got a customer insurance through them and he did not even have a CDL. The rep. stated that they don't look at CDL experience just overall record. And she said that it is his responsibility to get his CDL and obey the law before driving the truck.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSai
Floored, being a truck salesperson I try to locate the best insurance deals for my customers. I wish I could recommend Progressive every time but they have a mileage radius restriction. They are super easy to work with and I have never seen lower rates. I once got a customer insurance through them and he did not even have a CDL. The rep. stated that they don't look at CDL experience just overall record. And she said that it is his responsibility to get his CDL and obey the law before driving the truck.
Yes, I have a 100 mile radius on my policy. No biggie for me. Rates are a little high for me based on my age (28) and one speeding fine 2 years ago, but when my driver comes on they will drop $1000 a year (he is 40 with a clean MVR) so it works for me. I also like the fact that they don't insure you based on how long you have had that Class A.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

his dui is only a few months old, I told him to call progressive and google some insurance companies and see what they say, maybe someone will take pity on him since he was sleeping it off when they arrested him :roll:

anywho if it doesnt happen he`s still got his farm, was just looking for something to make the cold MT winters pass by a little quicker :lol: