User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I didn't realize it but I actually have the document in front of me. I'm applying for my authority at the moment and they gave me a few printed things and this was one of them.

In addition; 49 C.F.R. 390.21 -- Marking of commercial motor vehicles, is incorporated into state law by State Statute 75-363.

? The following vehicle markings are necessary to comply with ? 390.21 ?

(A) Nature of marking. The marking must display the following information:

(1) The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the self-propelled commercial motor vehicle, as listed on the motor carrier identification report you submitted to the Nebraska State Patrol Carrier Enforcement Division, and

(2) The Motor Carrier Identification Number (DOT number) issued; displayed in the following sequence:

(i) the letters ?USDOT?

(ii) the assigned Motor Carrier Identification Number (DOT number)

(iii) followed by an ?NE? suffix.

(3) If the name of any person other than the operating carrier appears on the commercial motor vehicle, the name of the operating carrier must be followed by the information required by paragraphs (A)(1), and (A)(2) of this section, and be preceded by the words ?operated by.?

(4) Other identifying information may be displayed on the vehicle if it is not inconsistent with the information required by this paragraph.

(5) Each motor carrier shall meet the following requirements pertaining to its operation:

(i) All commercial motor vehicles that are part of a motor carrier's existing fleet on July 3, 2000, and which are not marked with the legal name or a single trade name on both sides of their commercial motor vehicles, as shown on the Motor Carrier Identification Report must come into compliance with paragraph (A)(1) by July 5, 2005.

(ii) All commercial motor vehicles added to a motor carrier's fleet on or after July 3, 2000, must meet the requirements of this section before being put into service and operating on public ways.

(B) Size, shape, location, and color of marking. The marking must:

(1) Appear on both sides of the self-propelled commercial motor vehicle;

(2) Be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are placed;

(3) Be readily legible, during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet while the commercial motor vehicle is stationary; and

(4) Be kept and maintained in a manner that retains the legibility required by paragraph (B)(3) of this section.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am not sure why you would need to put "NE" on the end of your DOT number unless they are only talking about intrastate authority for Nebraska. You don't need to put any letters on the end of your USDOT number. You can probably go to the Federal website and find what you need.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:50 PM

That was from the Federal site. They used Nebraska as an example I'm assuming.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know of anyone who has letters after their DOT number. If you have intrastate authority you may want to put their state MC number on the side of your truck. Usually it will read CA 123456 (California) or TX 123456 (Texas).
Old 08-28-2006, 12:09 PM

I am pretty sure the state letters at the end of the USDOT # is for intRAstate only and not required for intERstate, atleast that is the way I have read it while digging into this topic.

I used the blue masking tape to "mock-up" letter size and positioning on the truck to kind of get an idea of how it will look. Also drove around to a few trucks and took some measurements of the lettering to get an idea. I read somewhere that the USDOT letters should be 2", and readable from 50ft. But smaller letters on a few tricks I seen were easliy readable from 50ft - I think I will go with 1-1/2" letters for that.

Still can't decide (or figure out for sure) where/how to put our comapany name and the leased to company name on the truck. I would like to avoid anything on the doors and the sleeper extenders will be pretty busy with the MC, KYU, DOT and VIN lettering.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 PM

Steve
I had my new entrant audit today and asked this same Question and he read it exactly as you said

As For the KYU only if it's a leased truck do you have to put the # on the truck
Old 08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Rookie

Steve,

Since I'm not hauling yet and have no authority, the only thing I put on my truck was my DOT number and "Not For Hire". This was told to me by a DOT guy in a scale house here in Illinois. He indicated that this would might prevent a lot of weird questions being asked of me. Also make sure the IFTA tags are on both sides of the tractor.

Even without hauling commercially yet, I still need to carry all the usual stuff with me like IFTA, cab card, medical long form, proof of insurance and properly filled out log book with compliance with HOS.

I know one of these days I will be stopped and asked some questions that I won't have answers for.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

My dad is a O/O all he has is his DOT# and thats it no name nothing esle at all. He said he never got a ticket or been asked about it. Its in a tri axle dump truck.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 AM

I'm putting it all on both sides.
My name, town, state, phone number, email, MC, KYU, DOT and VIN.
It won't hurt and I may get some business from someone who wrote down the info. Can't hurt!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watevr777
Steve
I had my new entrant audit today and asked this same Question and he read it exactly as you said

As For the KYU only if it's a leased truck do you have to put the # on the truck

KYU will be required if you are over 26001lbs. If you are leased on you need to run their KYU, if you have your own authority use yours do not go into Kentucky without it. The ticket will run you about $200, the number is free.