BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
People bitch a'lot and i really dont like that, go back to a factory or in the city and see how hard it is to make 800 a week..
Not that hard, if you are putting in the amount of hours that most truck drivers do.

$800 / 100 hours per week = $8.00 per hour.
$800 / 70 hours per week = $11.43 per hour.

Plus you sleep in your own bed every night. :wink:
You're comparing apples to oranges here, 70hrs in a factory its not the same as 70hrs in my truck..

And..you know, i have been told that all the time by the people who are just plain jelous that a 25yo can menage to make a pretty good living just driving a truck.We dont work all the time, we sleep as well as we would sleep at home. Go ahead and try to pull 70-80 Hr per week NO-STOP, trust me, im in pretty good shape, playin all kinds of sports and used to work 10-15hrs overtime every week and couldt handle it...please...let them talk and let us work, at least am working for my self and in 3-5 years ill have something, what will they have except a broken back and a maxed out credit card.. :roll:

keep on truckin..
Old 11-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
You're comparing apples to oranges here, 70hrs in a factory its not the same as 70hrs in my truck..
How so? Is it the fact that in a factory, you are getting paid for all 70 hours, but in your truck, you are giving some hours away for free?

Quote:
And..you know, i have been told that all the time by the people who are just plain jelous that a 25yo can menage to make a pretty good living just driving a truck.We dont work all the time, we sleep as well as we would sleep at home.
Say that again when you have a wife and two children at home who don't see their father for weeks on end.

Quote:
Go ahead and try to pull 70-80 Hr per week NO-STOP, trust me, im in pretty good shape, playin all kinds of sports and used to work 10-15hrs overtime every week and couldt handle it...please...let them talk and let us work, at least am working for my self and in 3-5 years ill have something, what will they have except a broken back and a maxed out credit card.. :roll:
Come back in 3-5 years and make that same statement after you hit that "glass ceiling". There is a reason for a 130% turnover rate in the trucking industry - people keep job hopping, looking for something better. They don't find it, so they hop jobs again and again.

The ratio of good paying trucking jobs to average is very small.

Quote:
keep on truckin..
No thanks - I have found that doing as little driving as possible makes me more money. :wink:
Old 11-05-2006, 06:21 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

I don't have any kids but am engaged and trying to make something out of myself before i turn 30 so when the kids come i can stay home do my own thing somehow...you're talking about that 70hrs again and i told you, go ahead and work them straight for a week and tell me how you like it?
Hours that am giving away for free as you call them i spend in my sleeper or a truck stop not doing anything, and you're comparing doing nothing with doing something FOR NOTHING...

Yes, you'll get paid for all 70hrs but you'll work too...

And whats a glass ceiling, as long as you work you'll have, am not trying to be a millionaire doing this any time soon but I CAN clear nice bottom line even when i was paying 2.90 per gallon and loads payed 1.14-20. Its all about how you're able to handle things and manage money, YOU CAN NOT GO BROKE. I don't want to do this when i have kids, GOD FORBID!

And i know that you can make dough by not driving and that's what i started to look at for past couple of months so when the comes ill know what to do...
Old 11-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I don't have any kids but am engaged and trying to make something out of myself before i turn 30 so when the kids come i can stay home do my own thing somehow...you're talking about that 70hrs again and i told you, go ahead and work them straight for a week and tell me how you like it?
70 hours in a week is 70 hours in a week. Most carriers want you to use EVERY hour available to you.

Quote:
Hours that am giving away for free as you call them i spend in my sleeper or a truck stop not doing anything, and you're comparing doing nothing with doing something FOR NOTHING...
Free time:

1. Short miles
2. Unpaid loading
3. Unpaid unloading
4. Traffic jams
5. Fueling
6. Pre Trip/Post Trip inspections.
7. etc.

Quote:
Yes, you'll get paid for all 70hrs but you'll work too...
You're right - most truck drivers aren't really working. They are just holding a steering wheel and warming a seat.

Quote:
And whats a glass ceiling, as long as you work you'll have,
Nope. Not necessarily.

Quote:
am not trying to be a millionaire doing this any time soon but I CAN clear nice bottom line even when i was paying 2.90 per gallon and loads payed 1.14-20.
Now that is just ridiculous. Try and peddle that BS somewhere else.

Quote:
Its all about how you're able to handle things and manage money, YOU CAN NOT GO BROKE. I don't want to do this when i have kids, GOD FORBID!
$2.90 per gallon fuel is $2.90 per gallon fuel. A $1500 per month truck payment is a $1500 per month truck payment. Most drivers' fixed and variable expenses are about the same, and $1.15-$1.20 per mile doesn't cut it.

EDITED TO FIX A BBCODE TAG
Old 11-05-2006, 10:30 PM

"I agree that $0.50 / mile is a fair rate for an O/O. "

I just about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that.
Why would somebody ask if $1.26 is enough money to operate.

Personally, I think if you have to ask that question you should find a new line of work.

At rates like that nobody has to worry about Mexican trucks because they couldn't afford the pay cut.

That's just plain crazy.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:58 PM

If somebody wants to pay you less than 100 per cent of the FSC run don't walk to the nearest door, then slam it behind you.

If they're trying to screw you on the FSC then they will be screwing you on something else.
Count on it.

How do you think clowns like JB and Schneider are making so much money right now.

Where I went to school if you charge a FSC that is intended to offset the fuel expenses incurred by the truck hauling the freight and then pocket ANY of that money, then that's fraud.
Straight and simple.

The next biggest laugh is "it's in the Rate".

Once I get back up off the floor from laughing I ask them how much they calculated into the rate.

Obviously now if they put it "in the rate" they should have a number.
No?

The simple advice is to to not deal with anybody like that.

I find pretty much true that these people that try to screw you over on fuel FSC and rates are usually the people that have garbage freight that will hang you up with appointments or some such BS.

If they think that they can own and operate equipment at the rates they want to pay then I encourage them to go out and buy equipment for their own use.

When I say buy equipment I don't mean buy some rustbucket that nobody else wants and some trailer that can barely sit on it's own rims.
It costs money to make money.

These guys and their "backhaul" rates really screw things up.

I used to run to California empty , run around doing 7 or 8 LTL picks and then go home and unload sooner than most of the trucks that hauled their cheap "Oh well, it pays the fuel" freight. and I made more money than them not to mention I got more rest and I didn't beat the crap out of my truck or myself for that matter.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Go to college instead.

Even IF make a living off $1.26/mile, what career will you move into when you have kids? Many prospective employers will want more education and experience than driving a truck can offer. Despite what the magazines and schools say, I don't see it as a wise career move. One mistake and your "career" is over. You are left with a small nest egg if you're lucky (and a mound of debt and bankruptcy if you're not). Then you'll need to bo back to school anyway.

You limit yourself to being a dispatcher or broker when you leave the road.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:24 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Go to college instead.

Even IF make a living off $1.26/mile, what career will you move into when you have kids? Many prospective employers will want more education and experience than driving a truck can offer. Despite what the magazines and schools say, I don't see it as a wise career move. One mistake and your "career" is over. You are left with a small nest egg if you're lucky (and a mound of debt and bankruptcy if you're not). Then you'll need to bo back to school anyway.
good post..
Old 11-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member

What i do know about being an Owner Operator is that if you do get less than $1.26 a mile, you are getting jipped, ripped and told to bend over and reach for your ankles.

However, i am not an Owner Operator yet, the thought has crossed my mind a few times. Between $1.26 to about $1.75 is pretty decent, some owner operators can make more if they shop around and find THE right kind of freight to haul.

This country has gone to shit since Richard Nixon and is hair brained scheme to deregulate trucking. Look this up, Nixon did and has deregulated trucking, company drivers were making just as much as a Owner Operator did. Who can make a living on 9 cents a mile? Or less than 25 cents? for a company driver and for Owner Operators, who can live off less than $1.00 a mile?