User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You will likely never get "rich" driving a truck. You do have the opportunity to make an above average income. Those who are smart will plan for their future, save and invest. I have known of some who have done very well as a result of this business. It isn't always about what you earn, but what you save and invest wisely. The difficulty is in having the discipline to put aside a certain amount of money designated for savings and/or investment purposes. There is nothing wrong with driving a truck for a living. It is one of the few professions where you can work as long as you can pass the DOT physical. You don't even need a good education. Some people will never have anything regardless of how much money they earn. They will find ways in which to blow all their money. There are many ways to spend money while on the road. You have video machines, chrome shops and big radios. There is nothing wrong with spending money on any of these things, if done in moderation. Put aside a budget to just spend or have fun. ONLY spend what you have set aside.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Board Member

that deer hunting game sure is addictive :lol:
Old 11-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Go to college instead.

Even IF make a living off $1.26/mile, what career will you move into when you have kids? Many prospective employers will want more education and experience than driving a truck can offer. Despite what the magazines and schools say, I don't see it as a wise career move. One mistake and your "career" is over. You are left with a small nest egg if you're lucky (and a mound of debt and bankruptcy if you're not). Then you'll need to bo back to school anyway.

You limit yourself to being a dispatcher or broker when you leave the road.
Dont go to college, colleges are filled with underachievers and have numerous underachiever alums. Use that CDL, make as much money as you can, save, invest, make more money. I never took a college course on how to make money. What is the fastest money you can make legally? Answer is running the wheels off that rig at a profit. If you disagree, what do you suggest?
You're advising him against college because there are underachieving grads? College doesn't automatically guarantee success, nor does it guarantee he'll be an underachiever. You still have to work hard and make smart choices. There are underachieving drivers too. It's more about the person than the job.

Besides, my advice was based on the original posters desire to stay home after he has a family. This being the case, he would be forced to start a new career requiring him to throw away his driving income and go back to school. After graduation, he'll be back at the bottom of the income ladder in his field of choice....all the while raising a family.

And finally, obviously your income will depend on the field of choice. Sure there are college grads making $15,000 but you'd have a hard time finding a Engineering grad making <$80,000.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:54 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

I never in my life, EVER even thought about putting anything on my truck that wont make me money. That truck is a buisiness tool and i treat it as such, drive it and get as much out if it that you can and get a new one, its simple like that. Yeah, its nice to see the ,,moving light'' show when the dark sets in but at least for me, its pointless..why run my buttom line by buying bunch of chrome and lights then turn around make the same money that i could without it....but, to each its own.

God bless