Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
where did ya mind that? I got this off Landstar's board.
My apologies . I didnt check that area and you did .

I checked another area so thats not quite fair.

However you did agree it was too low to wait and I thought it was too low period. But then you said it was to get you to a better paying load , so I stand corrected. I need to read a little closer . :sad:

Tim
Old 07-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I'm really confused about these loading docks. I hear this a lot and even about Walmart. Don't these places have a boss. Man, I would be all over the lazy bums and fire them. I pay you to work 8 hours and if not, I'll find someone else. At least that's the way it should work.

I would have left also!
Yes but most of the supervisors on docks started as dockworkers. That means that they have a mindset of "what is the least amount of work I can do and still keep my job?". Most of our outbound frieght is water heaters so we deliver to anything from major distibution centers to family owned plumbing supply places to big box home supply places (ie Lowes). My experience is the closer you get to retail the less interested they are in getting you unloaded. -jd
OOIDA Member #763478
Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I would have left too. Oh and grab the Pizza on the way out.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Bad Day with Landstar Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Volvo770
Well I took a load from Landstar DEX broker out of Monroe Michigan. Loaded at a place call Howard Ternes Packaging. Was told to be there just after 10:00am today. Got there at 10:15am for this and hit dock at 10:18am. They had to load 10pcs at 2500lbs. After sitting 45mins and only 2 trucks in the docks I called Landstar. Agent says it will be another 15mins, I said ok. Well after about 90mins I see they blocked my truck with a big steel container...hmm. Them a pizza delivery came for them and then it was lunch time :evil: Well 12:05pm came I told the shipping clerk to not load my truck and that I was leaving. So at 12:15pm I shut the doors and headed back home. This load had to be in Atlanta at 7:am tomorrow and I have already burned 4hrs in the coloring book :wink: . Landstar agent does not understand by I wouldn't wait 2-3hrs. without being paid? :roll: So now I am banded from moving anything for Landstar :cry: Was I wrong for this anyone? I own this truck and trailer 3hrs loading 756miles with 3 stops with the 1st at 7am for $1155 sucked :twisted: So correct me If I was being stupid.
Well, no offence, but i've voted "yes". :P

I wouldn't say about rate, if you believed it worth it, so be it...

Here is what i think;-
You've got to the shipper quarter after 10am, so you should be reasonably believe, that you got loaded at around noon.
Your first stop, comes off in 19 hours, and 756 miles later, how did you planned to do that? :roll:

So, even if everything, was go normal,(never does), you still would be in a hot spot, not to mention, that it was 3stoper, which gives you even more variables.

That was a wrong choice, right from the start, and as a business owner, you should be able clearly to see that.
I wouldn't comment on your living the dock, but as the other have mentioned, you didn't really well worked with the broker. :sad:

Once again, no offence, just an opinion! 8)
Old 07-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not clear whether you run your own authority or lease to a carrier. It sounds like you may lease to someone. I think you could have handled it differently. To begin with, you need to allow at least 2 hours to load and unload. I have been in this situation before and the way I handle it is to tell them that they have 2 hours to load me before I go on detention time. If they don't pay detention time, I let them know that I will be leaving in 2 hours, loaded or not. That usually gets them motivated. If the load comes from a broker or agent I let them know the same thing, and that I will be pulling out at that time if I am not loaded unless they are willing to pay for my time and put it in writing. That way I am not burning any bridges and handle it in a professional manner. If they don't load me within that time period, I pull out and it was their decision. You put the monkey on their back. That is the business way to handle this sort of thing. I have handled it the same way many times and never told that I could never load for a broker because of it. This is a business and you should conduct yourself in such a manner to not shoot yourself in the foot. And Landstar or any other broker can refuse to load you should the choose to do so. They are not obligated to load anyone.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:00 PM

thanks GMan...I am leased to a carrier. I did sit for 2hrs in contact with Landstar agent. She was told at 12:00 noon I was closing the doors. Landstar agent told me they don't pay detention. So at 12:15pm and not touched I closed the doors. Thanks for all the post about this. Good or Bad I respect what you all have to say. Never too old to learn I think.