View Poll Results: Buying new truck, Freightliner Coranado, Volvo vn780, or Kenworth T-600
A. freightliner coranado 0 0%
b. volvo vn780 13 61.90%
c. kenworth t-600 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Freightliner Coranado, Volvo VN780, or Kenworth T-600

As I stated in an earlier post, I will be leaving my company job in the spring and moving into my own tractor, and leasing onto the carrier I currently work for. My question to all current o/o's is this. I will be buying a New truck and paying cash, there will be no truck payment. I operate primarily east of the missipp, on the I-95 corridor maine to florida, will be pulling a reefer or flat/stepdeck. I am considering strongly the freightliner coranado, volvo vn780, or as a last resort the kw t-600. I want aerodynamics, fuel economy, nice ride, and dependability. I am not as worried about resale because I plan on running it 8-10 years. I have driven all but the coranado, so if anyone has any insight into this it would be appreciated. Need info quick as I will be buying soon. Thanks again.
:wink:
Old 03-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Board Regular

You have to decide on what job you will do before you can settle on a truck. A truck that is good for reefer will be horrible for flat or step deck work. Do you intend to run shorter runs and be in the sleeper less or will you go out for several days and stay in the sleeper alot. You mentioned in another post you were planning to move to North Carolina, if you do there is plenty of short run freight for flats that pays well and could have you home often but why would you spend the money for a 780 when a 610 or 630 would be better for the job.

I think the T600 is the best all around aero truck. It is clearly built better than any Freightliner (the Coronado is still just a century). Kenworth has a legendary reputation for product support and quality. Volvo has a great truck but has had a history of electrical problems and the are far fewer dealers to support their product.

Please spend some time on your decision. If you go out and buy a condo truck and then end up working flats you will be unhappy.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, I geuss I should be more specific. I have a young family and want to be home at least every other night. But I also want a truck that can pull both van/reefer or flats. I am a big guy, 6'5" 285lbs. So I need a big sleeper. And more than anything I want a dependable quality aerodynamic truck. Since I was akid the T-600 was always my favorite, but I want to have all the info I can to make the best possible decision.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Just my two cents here but at your height and weight I would think getting into the sleeper on a t-600 would be a PITA.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Rookie

I picked the Volvo based on what you listed. But my personnel choice would be the t600. I like the Coronado but i have been driving this century for 6 years.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I would have to vote for the 780 but I am a bit biased. I drive a 770.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The 780 will be the most comfortable but not as practical for flatbed work. Volvo 780's are going to be heavy. Personally, I don't care for the Coronado. They simply don't seem to be that well made. For pulling flats or steps a mid roof or flat top would be best. The 780 is a condo and most of the coronado's we see are also condo's. These catch a lot of wind. I own a T600 with a 72" sleeper. I also have a 9400 International. I know you didn't include the International, but I prefer it because it has more room. Mine has a 72" sleeper. Both are mid roof's and I have plenty of head room. I am 6'2". The Coronado and 780 will have more open area. Of the trucks you listed, I would go with the T600. You will have plenty of living room, the bed is comfortable and it is aerodynamic. In fact, the T600 was the first aerodynamic truck. :shock: The only down side is that the seats are closer together (a Paccar trademark) so it may be a little more of a challenge getting in and out of the sleeper. I suggest going to a dealer and check the fit. :wink:
Old 03-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Rookie

Dealer told me they now have swivel seats available in the T-600. So that wont make it as bad. I am still leaning heavily towards the volvo, my dad will give me tons of grief about it as he drives a 2005 Pete 379XL. But I just like the setup of the volvo best, although in my honest opinion the t-600 flat top is a sharp looking truck. And kenworth has always been my favorite truck. I just have never been happy with the transition to the sleeper or the head room of the T-600. As I said before thanks for the input GMAN I appreciate your time and effort. Gotta gowatch Trick My Truck. :moose:
Old 03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One thing you need to watch out for with the Volvo, it when you get up out of the drivers seat to go to the sleeper. I tend to hit my head with them. At least I did with my friends 770. Volvo does make a nice truck. 8)
Old 03-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
One thing you need to watch out for with the Volvo, it when you get up out of the drivers seat to go to the sleeper. I tend to hit my head with them. At least I did with my friends 770. Volvo does make a nice truck. 8)
Agreed, I am 6'1" and have to watch it when I stand up from the drivers seat. Stand up slow and watch it or you might be sitting back down with a nice headache. :lol: