View Poll Results: NEW O/O TO PULL A FLATBED, REEFER, VAN OR SOMETHING ELSE?
A. FLATBED 2 25.00%
B. REEFER 3 37.50%
C. VAN 2 25.00%
D. STEPDECK 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default FLATBED, REEFER ,VAN OR SOMETHING ELSE?

I will be leaving my company job, and putting my own rig on the road this spring. My question to current o/o's is this, What type of trailer to pull? I dont like the waiting game that goes with reefers, I have pulled vans for years and want something new. I am leaning towards a flatbed or stepdeck but dont want to sit alot. Does any one have any info on turn around time, waiting , pay rate etc with a flatbed or any other benefits that may come from hauling a flat or step deck. Or if you have any input on another type of trailer it would be appreciated. My priorities are as follows 1. profit 2. load availability 3. turn around time/ waiting game. I operate primarily on the I-95 corridor from Maine to Florida. Thank you very much for your time.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Did you consider pulling a Tanker, hazmat or food grade ?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: FLATBED, REEFER ,VAN OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDADDY44M
I will be leaving my company job, and putting my own rig on the road this spring. My question to current o/o's is this, What type of trailer to pull? I dont like the waiting game that goes with reefers, I have pulled vans for years and want something new. I am leaning towards a flatbed or stepdeck but dont want to sit alot. Does any one have any info on turn around time, waiting , pay rate etc with a flatbed or any other benefits that may come from hauling a flat or step deck. Or if you have any input on another type of trailer it would be appreciated. My priorities are as follows 1. profit 2. load availability 3. turn around time/ waiting game. I operate primarily on the I-95 corridor from Maine to Florida. Thank you very much for your time.

It is usually easier when you make a major change such as going from a company driver to owner operator, to pull the same type of freight you are accustomed. That doesn't mean that you can't do well by making the change. If you want to do well with a flat bed you will probably need to change where you are running to do well. I have never done much in the northeast with a flat bed. Freight going into Florida pays fairly well, but stinks coming out. The same with the northeast, although a lot of the flat bed freight going into the northeast isn't as good as it used to be. If you want to continue running Maine to Florida on I-95 you will probably do better with a reefer. Good luck. :?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 AM
Rookie

Along with my change from company man to O/O, I plan on moving back home to North Carolina. Freight moves in and out of their fairly well. With this in mind what would you suggest g-man. I see a ton of freight for flats and stepdecks on load boards, but what I would like to know is how well does it pay, and is there a lot of down time, unloading issues etc. Any info would be great. I am going to buy a trailer, so I just dont want to make a mistake, and I am sick of running van freight. Thanks again. :idea:
Old 03-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Rookie

Instead of buying right away. Why don't you try a short term lease, and put in writing that will allow you to switch trailer types at least once if you want to.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDADDY44M
Along with my change from company man to O/O, I plan on moving back home to North Carolina. Freight moves in and out of their fairly well. With this in mind what would you suggest g-man. I see a ton of freight for flats and stepdecks on load boards, but what I would like to know is how well does it pay, and is there a lot of down time, unloading issues etc. Any info would be great. I am going to buy a trailer, so I just dont want to make a mistake, and I am sick of running van freight. Thanks again. :idea:

Rates for flats and steps out of the Carolina's usually pays fairly well. You can normally get something which will take you home if that is where you live. I have pulled about everything but reefers. I prefer flats, steps or similar trailer. I prefer being outdoors. Typically, van freight pays less than most any other type of freight. There are good paying van loads, but it seems that flats usually pay more. There are exceptions. During the last few months there was an area where vans were paid a premium over flats. It is a matter of supply and demand. The up side to pulling a flat is that receivers are usually glad to see you. Waiting is usually not that long compared to vans. Rates will vary according to the time of year and part of the country. Rates in the midwest are usually decent for flats. Going into Florida usually pays well.....coming out stinks. :evil:

If you go to Denver, you may find yourself either sitting or deadheading out if you pull a flat. Texas us usually good, but I was in Ft. Worth a week or so ago and had a very difficult time finding something which paid decent going to where I needed to go. It is usually not difficult for me to get something out which pays fairly well.

If you think you might want to pull flats, perhaps you could lease on to a carrier who does both. CRST Malone has mostly flats, but also has some vans. You could always change if you didn't like it. If you qualify for to lease on with them they will teach you basic securement. Landstar has both vans and flats. They will also teach you about securement. Their training programs is longer than CRST Malone's. I believe you will need to go to Rockford, IL to do the securement training. I am not sure about the training city. It could have changed by now. You will need to either own your own trailer or rent one from either of these carriers. There are some other flatbed carriers, but I like both of these because they pay percentage. You will make much more money pulling freight on percentage than you will by running mileage.

If you do decide to go the flatbed route, I suggest you rent a trailer for a while to see how you will like it. With both of these carriers you will need about $2,500 of securement equipment and tarps. I believe both will finance the needed equipment for their leasee's. You may find used equipment for less.

It boils down to what you want to do. If you want to get some exercise and be outdoors, flats may be the way to go for you. 8)
Old 03-11-2006, 03:01 AM
Rookie

Thanks a lot gman, Info is greatly appreciated. I have been watching load boards and have seen that going into Fla the freight pays well, coming out is hit or miss. And I would prefer to run to fla than go to the northeast. Still a tough decision but I have to decide between flat or reefer very soon. A few guys have suggeted the rental idea, and I might just give it a try. My problem is I am almost certain I am going to buy the volvo 780, and logic would say that with that truck the reefer is the way to go. All in all this info from all you guys is extremely helpful, and greatly appreciated. Thanks again, wishing you all good road and good miles. :moose:
Old 03-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Board Regular

I would have guessed flat bed and a low profile truck would have gotten better miliage but it wasnt mentioned. :?: