User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That's a pretty good outline for a guide for basic exercises one can do with just a barbell while OTR...When i was on 11 western I passed the 24 about 4 times a week running through utah ...that stopped when i went 48....But did not really change my work outs much as I only really do heavy basic barbell exercises I just had to put my bench together every time I bench or squat ...kind of sux but you do what you got to ...I love popping up 3- 4 plates on the bench press at our drop yards ,as the look on other werner drivers faces is like WTF....squating with 5 bills (easily) in view of others is also fun...And knocking out70 lb Dumbell curls with a pair of hex dumbells in view of fellow drivers is fun too...a show off...YES SIR...I was actually embarassed to be doing this when I first started driving , But nearly every time I bust a workout at a truck stop or drop yard the reaction is like I can't beleive your that dedicated ,and then they ask ..HOW MUCH IS THAT..love the look when I say 500 like just anyone can climb under it and bang out a set 6-8 with it ...
Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Know exactly what you're saying Big Jeep!

Of course, my eye-poppers are a bit different than yours (I reckon I'm a lot smaller than you are at 5'7" and 200 lb. :roll, but still produce the same effect nonetheless. Namely throwing about 700 on the leg press and knocking out a couple of high rep sets (15-20), or the same rep scheme on stiff-legs with 250. I know light weight for most but I tend to keep a very slow and controlled pace... :wink: I still enjoy the looks though with a 100 plate strapped around my waist for dips!!!

Be safe bro and keep pushing hard, heavy, and smart.

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 10-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Golds Gym on 101A in Nashua NH has plenty of space to park in back and easy to get in and out of.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

BUMP!

Still working out religiously as ever out here myself, though as I posted last year I no longer carry my weights with me due to the availability and access of normal gyms along the routes I run. I've actually backed off of my training frequency though and am still seeing positive results, mostly due to the increased rest I am getting and the lack of stress in my life.

As for my routine, I'm still keeping things purely basic and very abbreviated. As far as progress from 14 months ago, I'm holding at 204 lb. and have had a small, continuing increase in overall strength with minor fat loss as well (I'm the worst person in the world for doing cardio...virtually non-existent! :lol.

My current routine...

Day 1
Stiff-leg Deadlifts
Shoulder Press or Flat Bench Press

Day 5
Leg Press
Weighted Dips
Shoulder Width, Reverse Grip Pulldowns or Dumbbell Bent-over Rows

Day 10
Repeat cycle

Y'all take care and be safe out there :wink:...

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 12-11-2007, 04:34 PM

i run western region. would any of you recommend a particular gym that has many chains throughout, with possible truck parking nearby?

i was considering the YMCA, Golds, or Balleys...

any recommendations for quantity of chains throughout the west...
Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Road Warrior
i run western region. would any of you recommend a particular gym that has many chains throughout, with possible truck parking nearby?

i was considering the YMCA, Golds, or Balleys...

any recommendations for quantity of chains throughout the west...
24hr fitness...But it's just best to come to the reaization that if your going to be consistant you will have bring your own weights ,and resign yourself to lunmping all that stuff in and out of the truck every work out ..You get pretty efficient at it ,and learn how /where to store stuff so it take but 45 minutes to get a heavy work out in ...One of my guilt pleasures was pulling the weights if poosible at shipper/receivers and hitting a max work out ,because the stafff is alway more friendly after they see you put up 425lbs on the bench
Old 12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Hey CYANIDE, I'm glad I came across your post. I'm also into weight lifting. I am a soon to be newbie driver (finishing up CDL school) and my biggest concern about trucking is not being able to work out anymore. I've done research and do know that there are gyms (Gold, World) gyms that do have plenty of parking space, but my question is realistically how often can I actually get to one. Plus, wouldn't the trucking company freak that I'm adding several extra miles to my trip to drive off your intended route to get to a gym?

Also how much extra weight (max) do you think I can carry in a truck if I am looking to bring weights on with me and improvise a workout? I know trucking takes alot out of a driver, but I love to workout and would hate to lose everything I've built and accomplished in my workout routines.