User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 8 days with a horrible trainer...

I went out on the truck with what CFI called a "professional" finisher and well things just didn't go well at all. I thought I could spend a couple of weeks with just about anyone, boy was I wrong! Here is the cover letter I sent in to safety after I returned to Joplin. (I "Xed out" the finishers name because it's just not important that his name be placed on a public forum like this.)

To: Tom Edwards – Safety Department

Date: March 1, 2007

Re: XXXXX XXXXXX - Finisher

Tom,

Attached is form SC-037 (Student Evaluation of Instructor) as requested. I also felt it was important to include the following observations regarding my experience with Mr. XXXXX XXXXXX during the 4000+ miles as a student on his truck.

1. Negative Attitude – XXXXX constantly expressed a negative attitude and made rude comments towards CFI as a company and CFI’s management and staff. While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions about the company they work for, I think you would agree that this is not a good way to inform a new student about the company.

2. Logbook Falsification – I was repeatedly asked by XXXXX to make false entries in my logbook. I refuse to start out my new career as a Professional Truck Driver by falsifying my logbook and/or operating a CMV in an unsafe manner.

3. Speeding – I was told several times to exceed the posted speed limit by 5 to 10 miles per hour and that “law enforcement would not care if I went over the posted limits”. It is important to note that we where not behind schedule and did not need to speed to meet our expected time of delivery.

4. Pre Trip Inspection – During the time I spent with XXXXX we did not do any pre trip inspections. We did in fact check the oil in the engine one time. It was my understanding that not only is it a DOT requirement but that CFI was adamant that an inspection be completed at least once every day on all CFI trucks. And, I do not want to operate a CMV unless I am personally sure that I have completed an inspection on as many things as possible to insure that it is mechanically safe to drive.

5. Coffee Thief – I know that this may seem trivial to some people, however I really have a problem with someone who feels it necessary to steal their coffee refills when they stop at a truck stop 3 or 4 times everyday, especially with a student on board. The excuse for this behavior was that “with all the money CFI spent with the truck stops for fuel they somehow owed CFI and it was our job to collect”. At $1.40 (average) per refill that’s $4.00 to $6.00 per day and $1500 to $2200 per year.

6. Attitude Toward Other Drivers – Several times XXXXX would yell and use profanity towards other drivers. I was embarrassed several times by his impatience and almost childlike manner in dealing with other drivers. He would yell comments like “If you hit me B*%$# I will bleed all over you car” and “you spent a lot of money for that new jeep and I’m gonna put a big red truck across your hood A#$%^&*”

7. Disgusting and Abusive Language with Wife – I do not usually “listen” to another persons telephone conversation, however, since I was sitting next to XXXXX in the front seat and he was yelling most of the time it was hard not to be distracted, annoyed and very uncomfortable listening to him talk to his wife in a manner that was abusive and disgusting. These telephone calls would occur several times a day from the time we started driving until long after we shut down for the day. And after most calls XXXXX would still be angered and obnoxious after talking to his wife and he would try to direct that attitude towards myself or other drivers.

8. Smoker – When I arrived to leave with XXXXX the first day he made the comment that he was a smoker and notified me that his last student was not a smoker and he didn’t have any problems. He said “he would roll down the window and turn the heat up and it would be just fine” Needless to say he did not roll down the window and would complain when I asked him to roll down his window a little. He would smoke all day and at night and early in the morning while in the bunk and this smoke would permeate my hair, skin, clean clothes, leather coat and all of my bed linens. I remember that the orientation paperwork stated that I was a non-smoker and I was assured that I would go with a non-smoking finisher.

In summary, I hope that XXXXX XXXXXX is not the “norm” as far as the level of professionalism offered by the CFI finishing program for new students. Having developed several training programs and train the trainer programs for my companies, I cannot imagine that I would want this experience to be the “first impression” of CFI’s training program for a new driver associate.

I made the decision to become part of this profession after months of research and I made a promise to my wife, my family and myself that I would never operate illegally or unsafe as long as I was driving a commercial motor vehicle. After spending the time on the truck with XXXXX, it was clear that I was not receiving the training to meet that objective. My reason for coming to CFI was based on the fact that I think CFI is a great company and I think this is the type of company that I would want to be a part of for the long term.

Give me a call if I can be of further assistance or answer any questions you might have. I would also like to know what my status is with CFI.

Sincerely,

Today I called and talked to Tom Edwards and was told that my evaluation of the finisher was very professional, however, CFI felt I would be better off going to another company to obtain my expierience. Now you must also realize that I did REALLY well on all test's and driving while on the road with the finisher. I guess you really have to be careful who you complain to.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Board Regular

definately not the best of starts, sad to hear that so hopefully things will get better and other companies will line you up with someone better. Of all your comments I can relate to the smoking crap, i went with a trainer when i first started running, i was only southeast regional, and had been driving local for a few years so i was only supposed to be with him for a week, well 3 weeks later, and a possible diagnoses of lung cancer from second hand smoke, i was finally cut loose. Definately not being a smoker myself, it was real tough, and he would do the same thing in the mornings, or night, whenever he felt like lighting one up he would do so. Anyway, good luck with your next adventure....
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

One of two things is wrong with this picture:

1.) Either there is more to this story than you are telling us...possible, but besed upon what I read in you posting, I would not say "probable".

OR

a more likely possibility.......

2.) You need to rattle CFI's cage a little harder. Overall, I have always been impressed with CFI's quality as a company, and that has been reflected in the quality of their drivers. Almost every company the size of CFI is going to have a bad apple.

As far as your complaints, I know that riding with a trainer who smokes can be very difficult for a non-smoker; at the same time, it is up to you to adjust.

As far as him stealing coffee, I think that is very lame; nonetheless, you need to be focused upon how his actions affect you and your ability to be trained.

As far as the logbook falsification is concerned, I had an excellent trainer, but I had to deal with that issue. Did I like it??? No!! Did I do it??? Reluctantly, yes, I did. In the end, the benefits of being under the tutelage of this particular trainer outweighed my concerns.

Overall, I think that CFI is a very good company. I'd call them back, and see if you could work something out with them.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

That doesn't say much about CFI if they cut you loose because you complained about the behavior of one of their trainers.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
One of two things is wrong with this picture:

1.) Either there is more to this story than you are telling us...possible, but besed upon what I read in you posting, I would not say "probable".

OR

a more likely possibility.......

2.) You need to rattle CFI's cage a little harder. Overall, I have always been impressed with CFI's quality as a company, and that has been reflected in the quality of their drivers. Almost every company the size of CFI is going to have a bad apple.

As far as your complaints, I know that riding with a trainer who smokes can be very difficult for a non-smoker; at the same time, it is up to you to adjust.

As far as him stealing coffee, I think that is very lame; nonetheless, you need to be focused upon how his actions affect you and your ability to be trained.

As far as the logbook falsification is concerned, I had an excellent trainer, but I had to deal with that issue. Did I like it??? No!! Did I do it??? Reluctantly, yes, I did. In the end, the benefits of being under the tutelage of this particular trainer outweighed my concerns.

Overall, I think that CFI is a very good company. I'd call them back, and see if you could work something out with them.
So your saying that you where okay with falsification of your log while with the CFI trainer? The difference between you and me is I REFUSE TO DO IT TODAY JUST TO GET TOO TOMORROW!

It is not up to me to adjust to a smoking finisher when CFI stated that I would be sent with a NON SMOKING finisher.

And, it appears that there are at least two bad apples your finisher and the one I had...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Personally.... I would have waited to turn in a report like that "AFTER" I got hired. Also, if you had a problem with your trainer, you should have asked for another one. So you sit and wait a week or 2, better to have a non-smoking, legal trainer, than have to put up with one your not happy with.

"IF" I decide to go with Interstate, I already know who my trainer will be.
He is a non-smoker, I am a smoker. We made a deal sort of, I will not smoke in his truck ( it is his home ) and he will pull over every 3 hours or so so we can walk around and I can have my smoke.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Useless,

I can respect you admiration for CFI. I too think that they are a good company overall. The positive remarks on them far outweigh the negatives.

But what this poster has said, (if it is actually 100% accurate) IS NOT an isolated incident. If you do a little searching on the net, you will find that there are many complaints about CFI that are similar to this one.

IMO, I believe CFI has a problem with their finishers and hopefully someone, someday will take the blinders off and see what many people have been complaining about for some time now. Hopefully they will correct the deficiencies BEFORE CFI gets a bad name.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Personally.... I would have waited to turn in a report like that "AFTER" I got hired. Also, if you had a problem with your trainer, you should have asked for another one. So you sit and wait a week or 2, better to have a non-smoking, legal trainer, than have to put up with one your not happy with.
I was already hired and we returned to Joplin and I was told to write up a report and I thought I was going to leave out with another finisher for the balance of my training. I had several individuals support my statements who had been with the finisher on the truck before me and experienced some of the same things...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Board Regular

I understand you dont want to do false logs and put up with a smoker but I would have just delt with until I got my own truck thats just the way trucking is. Theirs is really nice drivers out their and some really bad ones. In your case luck of the draw you had a bad one sad to hear but it probally happens more than we think just the way it is.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 PM

Wow...after reading this I know when I go out with a trainer to just go along with the program until I get my own truck. Scary stuff actually, that is a tough situation to be in if asked to falsify by your trainer.