User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I noticed there was another side to the story on the CFIDRIVERS forum, something about a demand for time off not being met. (the same letter was posted over there)

That could be behind the termination, rather than the letter?

Regardless, I don't agree with the logbook falsification at all, but I know when I am being trained I am essentially a guest in someone else's home away from home...so if they smoke or curse or snore or whatever...I will just grin and bear it.

I want to put in my time and get my own truck...keep my eyes on the prize!

Otherwise, live and let live, and thank the finisher for the ride!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Board Member

I think that some of the things you wrote are valid points while others are very trivial. Truthfully, you probably could have avoided all of this if you had stood your ground from the beginning. You said you wanted a non-smoking trainer, but he told you he smoked before you even left out, why did you go out with him if you knew this would be a big deal?

As for the logbook and speeding issues, you should have reported them immediately and I'm sure the Safety Dept at CFI would have backed you up.

I agree that the coffee deal is stealing, personally I don't have a problem with paying 84 cents for a refill, but obviously a lot of guys do.

I agree with BC on the yelling at other drivers, it's not a good thing to hold all this in. Ditto on the wife thing. At some point she will realize those crazy Dixie Chicks were right about one thing, "Earl had to die" and he'll get what he deserves there. That part is really not your concern, nor is it CFI's. I don't condone his behavior either, but I wouldn't put it in my eval.

When you look at the entire scope of your letter, there are some valid points and some not so valid. It really does make you look like a whiner and most companies won't want to see that. Personally, I would've said in my eval, "He asked me to cheat on my logbook and break the speed limit and I refuse to do that" and I would've left it alone at that. For the one bad review that rambles on and on that you turned in, the guy probably has 100 others that praise him up one side and down the other. If you're a company looking at all of this, who would you side with? They probably thought, "hey what's gonna happen the first time this guy doesn't get home exactly when he wants to?" They decided to cut their losses before getting in too deep. No biggie, you just move on and hope to find a carrier better suited for you.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree with what most on here are saying......the safety issues should have been addressed immediately with the safety dept. IF after expressing your concern with the trainer went without resolution.

Smoking issue was your fault in that you should not have gotten on that truck if you knew he was a smoker and that was going to be a problem for you.

As for his wife.....you heard one side of the conversation. How do you know she wasn't being just as verbally abusive to him???? In any case, that was a personal matter between the trainer and his wife. It was NONE of your business or that of the company's.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
I swear and threaten cars ALL THE TIME. Makes me feel good to bitch about it. I'm not gonna commit an act of road rage...its the guy that gets pissed and bottles it all up that ya gotta watch after :lol:
I'm the guy who bottles it up. Traffic and a@$holes on the highway don't bother me.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

EagleEye .. I have to agree with many posts in this thread. Although your letter is grammatically well composed -- your letter sounds like a rant. Your safety concerns are buried in a plethora of observations and rather histrionic diatribe.

I worked in Customer Service for years. Letters that were direct, specific and requested reasonable remedies got read and addressed. Letters that ranted -- got a form letter.

What was your objective in writing this letter? To get this guy fired? How would that help you?

If in fact this persons behaviors was so dichotomous to your values A different approach would be to write a brief letter stating "personal differences" and that you request a different trainer. Especially given that CFI has such a good reputation -- you are more than likely to get your needs met.

The opportunity for correction of the drivers behavior would come if safety asked you "what did this driver do that made you uneasy?" There you could be quite specific in a meeting that how he interpreted the FMCSA's and your understanding differed and although he is successful, you would prefer as a newbie to run closer to the letter of the law. Otherwise you risk being a political liability. In my opinion you are not seen as a whinny troublemaker but as someone with a concern looking for an amiable solution.

Best of Luck sir ..
Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Rookie
Default The other side of the story

If anyone is interested, here's the link to the other side of the story.
CFI seems to be a great company with some fine folks there.

http://www.cfidrivers.com/phpbb2/vie...er=asc&start=0

There is always another side to every story.

CFI is a big company who tries treat its drivers fairly. If this guy had jumped onto the next available finisher’s truck and completed his training I don’t think he would have had a problem. Reading the thread, he instead, “demanded some time off”. CFI did the right thing by routing him back to Joplin where he could get off the bad finisher’s truck.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Everyone needs to understand that these posts are not meant to ask for my job back with CFI it is just to post my experience with the finisher. Was I angry when I returned to Joplin...DUH...very much. Who really wouldn't be. Did I take a few days off to finish moving to Joplin which was planned after I finished trianing, and to decide if CFI was the company for me after what I had experienced...yes I did. I also had to wash all of my linens and even my clean clothes to get the nasty smoke smell out of them. And after all this CFI decided that I was not the right person for them. That's okay because I will make someone a good honest driver who really does do everything legally or not at all. And the best part is I will sleep better at night because I did. Sorry if I stepped on some toes or offended anyone. Like I said I just wanted the new drivers to know that there are some finishers who don't do it right. And I was asked for the details. After hearing that one of his students that did upgrade had 3 accidents in a month, I guess I thought that maybe I could help out the next guy. And I am not the first to get off of this finishers truck.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Rookie
Default Flip that coin

Hey, speaking of tests, What if a trainer/finisher decides to see if a trainee is a true professional by baiting him to falsify logs to test his integrity. This would seem a more logical and useful way of training a driver, if the goal is safe driving, and not seeing how much crapp a person will tolerate. I'm sure this finisher didn't act like an azz just to test the trainee. And for what it's worth, I think that poster would have made a better statement by not diluting it with superfulous stuff. If I'm doing the hiring (as if...) my concern for safety and integrity trumps all else. IMO the finisher should have been questioned about the logs, and disciplined if found to be true. and reminded to always be professional, as he/she represents the company. AND the driver should be told his concerns and oppinions are valid (after all, they asked for them), but that "getting along" however difficult, is an attribute. I mean, why does it always have to be about deciding who's right and who's wrong instead of addressing the issue at hand?