User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What not to do

Learned 2 things this week, be nice/courteous to security and DO NOT listen to dispatch, go with your gut!

I was picking up a preloaded back haul from Smithfield bacon, got there 15 minutes later than planned, different story and really don't want to discuss it because I nearly got sick in the truck at what I saw. I got there just as the shipping clerks were leaving for the night so they hand all pickup paperwork to security. These 2 kids ambush the gate, PRO Transport and Swift..........both break ****ty with security and demand they do something to get THEIR load ready. I'm standing there laughing at them, 5 signs inside say SECURITY.............you really think these 3rd party guys have any say or pull? The Swift kid was real foolish and I told the guards as much when he left in a huff. He was whining how he'd been there sitting for 9 hours already.........dude chill for an hour then you got a full set of hours to run on! Told the guards that so if he came back in they would have some pushback on him! Be nice, heck the check in hardly looks at me now, check out got the same way after this incident, they like seeing me come in to get a load.

As for the 2nd, got sent out in the winter storm, I survived but a companion wiped out right in front of me. He was lucky to not roll it. Both of us were told the same thing, roads were ok. I knew they weren't good, but I had pulled over into a place I could park if need be and called in. Roads further ahead were better, just slushy...........I figured heck, I've made it this far just doing what I know to do, take it very easy and don't let others push me, plus I'm empty which is good and bad in these conditions. I also knew I had a few other spots I could stop at if roads turned out to be worse. He was fully loaded, prolly going a little too fast and got into the real bad stuff in the center of the road and away he went. I never had an issue and made it back safely. The other guys gut told him don't do it but he went with the load anyways.....and he wiped out. My gut said it wasn't great but it was doable as long as I stayed focused and didn't go faster than I was comfortable with. I got back in, dispatch said we have a run right back past our wrecked truck, I laughed and said it could stay in the filing cabinet till about 4pm cuz I had a pounding headache and was going to bed plus 2 hours left on my clock wouldn't be enough to get it there in time. The other driver, he was shook up and angry at himself, disgustingly I was the only one to stop and check on him. Car ahead of me stopped, looked over and then drove off. State plow truck stopped then drove around him and went on. I offered to stay and let him sit in my truck for warmth since I had no idea if his truck would run still or if the ESPAR heater was still working after he did a Dukes of Hazzard.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:02 PM

loaded would have/should have been better than empty. he obviously either hit the slush over ice, or packed snow. when ever i can, if i take off on my runs, i hold back my speed considerably and stay in the right lane. i never make sudden movements with the steering wheel, or brakes. been doing this for over 3 decades, never had a problem. not saying i never will, but i stay behind all the yahoo's that think they are god's gift to winter driving, and of course, i do mean truckers as well as the dopey 4 wheelers.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 PM
Board Icon

Thats what I did, let all the super truckers blow on past and hoped that if they wiped out, it was beyond my exit! Had a bobtail blow past me.........just shook my head
Old 03-25-2017, 02:36 PM

yeah, i try not to figure out the minds of morons..if something happens behind me, so be it, if something happens ahead of me, like you said...after my exit.....
Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 AM
Board Icon

Found out our boy that wiped out.........was doing 50 mph at the time...........he had the gall to blame dispatch for giving him bad info. If your THAT dumb to not realize how bad it is yourself when you get out there........smh. Mind you, he told me the roads were real bad behind him, yet he never slowed it down?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Had a bobtail blow past me.........just shook my head
That made my toes come out the bottom of my slippers, when I read that.
We get a lot more experience driving in conditions like that in Northern Michigan, and the absolute worst, is bobtailing on icy/slushy roads. Up here, we don't leave the yard without a trailer, even to just go across town, for any reason. Too dangerous.

Mr.Ford, I also came from a construction background, before I went into OTR trucking. I noticed a big difference in what people skills are needed to get along on the job. My biggest adjustment was learning patience. Second to that was learning diplomacy.

Third was learning the politics and pecking order that you see at your pick ups and drop locations. Bring candy with you.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Found out our boy that wiped out.........was doing 50 mph at the time...........he had the gall to blame dispatch for giving him bad info. If your THAT dumb to not realize how bad it is yourself when you get out there........smh. Mind you, he told me the roads were real bad behind him, yet he never slowed it down?
there will ALWAYS BE those that think they are the best at what they do and can do no wrong.your co-worker needs to be fired.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:39 AM
Board Icon

As far as I know he is still here, he told the office that next time there is any weather, he will refuse the load...........

Hog, I learned most of that at my last job. 15 years worth! Funny thing is when a Wal-Mart store tries to reject a Wal-Mart DC load. I just cackle and go OOOOOOKKKKKKK! Simple call to the office and it's taken care of.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
. My biggest adjustment was learning patience. Second to that was learning diplomacy.

Third was learning the politics and pecking order that you see at your pick ups and drop locations. )
Strike ONE!
Strike TWO!
Strike THREE! YER OUT! and that's why I'm a fleet of one. I have little to no patience especially with people that should know better.
Diplomacy? ahh, nah let's not even go there.
pecking order? I don't care who you are.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well he did slow down to 50mph.
To each there own, a couple winters ago I was talking to another Crete driver(going to the same place)and he was moaning about how bad the roads were and I was overtaking and passing him at that very time.
Personally I think he wussed out and canceled because he didn't want to drive in the snow and overnight. I didn't think the roads were that bad and proceed at about 50-55.But keep in mind that I do that same run on the same roads every night and have for 10 years now.
This is one area that I do keep my mouth shut, I will not tell anyone to hurry up or go faster!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington