Old 04-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Strike ONE!
Strike TWO!
Strike THREE! YER OUT! and that's why I'm a fleet of one. I have little to no patience especially with people that should know better.
Diplomacy? ahh, nah let's not even go there.
pecking order? I don't care who you are.
I didn't get to go to the same place and deal with the same people, over and over.
I ended up going to someplace new most of the time. I had a few picks and drops at the same location, but not very often.

The trade off was, i went through 47 of the lower 48 states and Ontario & Quebec during the course of my career. Met new people all the time.
I would have liked to skip the eastern seaboard completely. Union places were the worst, especially to independent drivers.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was going across Illinois on I-74 this winter. It was slick and I was running around 50mph and felt that was the max for the conditions. I look in the mirror and there is a CRST in the hammer lane passing everyone. He gets to me and gets the tractor and about half the trailer by and loses it. I am very thankful he jack-knifed it into the median and not in front of me.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Well he did slow down to 50mph.
To each there own, a couple winters ago I was talking to another Crete driver(going to the same place)and he was moaning about how bad the roads were and I was overtaking and passing him at that very time.
Personally I think he wussed out and canceled because he didn't want to drive in the snow and overnight. I didn't think the roads were that bad and proceed at about 50-55.But keep in mind that I do that same run on the same roads every night and have for 10 years now.
This is one area that I do keep my mouth shut, I will not tell anyone to hurry up or go faster!
Experience is key! So is using your head! I'm certain you run into conditions where you go nope, time to back it down or shutdown. I was slowing down the more I rolled into the teeth of the storm, on the verge of calling it quits for a bit, using my head and previous experience with what I was seeing and feeling. The conditions in that area where definitely not safe at anything above 35 at best and even that may have been slightly too fast.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Board Icon

experience also proves you also don't want to go less than 35/40mph, because some decent size snow drifts can knock aboot 10mph off your top end.
If there is a 4-wheeler buried in there, you want enough steam to knock it clear of your trailer, otherwise your tandems will go right up over the top of it, and you'll drop your load over, even with extra load locks.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Experience is key! So is using your head! I'm certain you run into conditions where you go nope, time to back it down or shutdown. I was slowing down the more I rolled into the teeth of the storm, on the verge of calling it quits for a bit, using my head and previous experience with what I was seeing and feeling. The conditions in that area where definitely not safe at anything above 35 at best and even that may have been slightly too fast.
I'm not shy about pulling the plug, I've done before and I'll do it again. It's rare, one time I finally said enough and stopped at the Petro on I90 xt41 in NY I went to the end of the lot and turned the wheel to the right and the truck kept going straight. I backed up and tried three times and it was just to icey and wouldn't turn right I finally gave up and turned left and parked behind the shop. If I ever pushed to hard and too long that was it.
My real motivation to make my stop is the fact that I park my truck and go home for my break, that and I don't sleep well in the truck. (some trucker I am!)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 04-28-2017, 03:30 AM
Board Icon

Here is a trend I'm noticing about truck drivers, we are some ignorant folks! Parking in no parking zones.......hey re-re, your now blocking the only exit! Or trucks who have zero business there, parking on Walmart dock areas and blocking it up/making it extremely difficult to get into without hitting something. It's disgusting and very frustrating! 1 store we deliver to, trucks park right in the way, hey idiots, behind you, the way you came in is an actual truck parking area WITH signs signifying it and ZERO trucks are parked there! I stand on the horn just to piss them off!

I understand truck parking is hard to come by these days and getting harder, but come on, think beforehand! We have 1 rest area that only has 1 exit. Regular cars have to use it to get out, but trucks typically block it completely up so nobody can get out! At another, they crowd around the entry, making it VERY narrow even for cars to get into. It also gives off the illusion at night that trucks are scattered across the road and blocking it. Many night drivers freak out and slap on their brakes. As you go past, you see spot after spot available............yes, let's all crowd around the entry though!

Sorry I'm ranting........just pisses me off at the level of ignorance by "trailer drivers"
Old 05-11-2017, 02:52 PM

Well, I had a situation - I accepted the load of watermelons. I have been told by my dispatcher that everything is ok just get there and pick it. OK.
When i got to the location it was raining hard and the TM told me, that these watermelons are yet to be gathered. So I spent 28 hours waiting for the loading just for additional $150.
Now this dispatcher is my former dispatcher. But I got aquainted with the TM - he is a really cool guy, and now I get his loads directly)))