User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Heading to Schneider

Welp, unless something unknown to me pops up on the drug test I did yesterday, I'll be off to Minny Snowa Wednesday for a 3 day refresher course then onto to Carlisle PA for Schneider orientation. All travel, by plane, and lodging paid for by Schneider along with the refresher course. A late Xmas miracle for me. I made a mention to a friend with them about their silly refresher course instead of training me their way which is what they will do in orientation, 3 days later Schneider was blowing my phone up with this offer. In return, a 3 month contract and all the other paid for, take, take it twice on Sundays! In fact, they were willing to send me straight to Carlisle and skip the refresher course, which would then mean no contract, the catch was that I had to get thru orientation satisfactorily or I'd be sent home without any job. Egh, a few days extra help and practice can't hurt even if it's a 3 month contract. Most places want a minimum of 6 months experience anyways to move on.........so what's a 3 month contract?

Questions for drivers who may know Schneider better than what a recruiter would tell me, allowed 1 piece of luggage which has to go the truck with me the 2nd week of orientation, how big would fit in a Truck? I gotta get a sleeping bag and pillow in it while also traveling by plane for a week and a half prior. I'm going to get all my clothes in roll up space saver bags.

They require a kingpin lock, any they approve of less than $60?

I've got a medicine that has to stay chilled, how are trainers with using the on board fridges and coolers to keep it chilled?

Should I carry a wooden ruler with me for doing logging items? Wasn't on the packing list but I've seen drivers who do that. Speaking of logging, guess I should go get me a logbook, right, or is that something they supply in orientation?

Should I carry some small packs of laundry detergent with me? Or toiletries? Towels for showers on the road?

Make certain I take a notebook with me to write things down?

They said bring a rain jacket, but I have a full suit, just take the jacket to save space or take the whole thing?

Anything else that I may be missing? Their packing list wasn't very detailed or large.
Flashlight
Boots that are stamped non slip oil resistant
Pen Pencil
Calculator
Highlighter
Gloves
All weather gear and clothes
Sleeping bag or blankets, pillow
Shower shoes

How bout some empty milk jugs?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Rookie

Pack your stuff in a flexible bag, not a hard suitcase.
Empty milk jugs are optional....lol Ziploc bags are easier to throw out the window.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Board Icon

So an oversized duffle bag essentially, correct?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Rookie

Correct. A hard suitcase is difficult to store in a truck. A flexible duffle bag can form to the surroundings.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Board Icon

Seadragon, any particular brand or size I should look for? I don't want too large obviously. Looked at Dicks online store and saw some 30" x 15" x 14" which is larger than most suitcases. Need to have it by Tuesday afternoon to pack everything up. Any other places to look? I mean I plan on putting my pillow in a space bag and vacuuming it down smaller and not breaking it open until I'm on the truck. Same with either the sleeping bag or sheets. What's better, bag or sheets? I'm thinking at least a 0 degree sleeping bag.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Congratulations on the new job, I'll bet you're glad to get back to work!
Use two duffels, one for your sleeping bag/pillow and the other for clothing that way the sleeping bag one can be crammed under the mattress when empty. before you leave home set out your clothes as if you're going to wear them. Then put the pants on the bottom top with a T shirt socks and shorts then roll them up tightly and place in a walmart bag.
that way when you stop for a shower just grab a 'clean' bag and shove it in your shower bag. (You are taking a small shower bag with toiletries in right?) The wal-mart bag can then be used for dirty laundry. Make sure you take a few extra loose socks shorts ectra and sweatshirt or two (long sleeve flannels are nice but wrinkle). Pack about 5 complete outfits. Some laundry soap will come in handy, just make sure it's sealed up good.
Keeping meds cold won't be a problem. The trainer will allow you some room, but the fridge is small!
Sleeping bag will be easier to keep neat than sheets and blankets no need for a zero rated bag the trainer will have heat on the truck and you'll be on the top bunk so you'll be plenty warm.
They will provide you with a log book (if using paper logs) they will also give you a small plastic ruler marked off in hr increments.
I went thru training at the Carlisle term. and they have a nice place there, good food too! Speaking of food take a few munchie snack type items with you. It's a lot cheaper to buy at home than at the truck stop.
The king pin lock can probably wait till after your training and used to be available at the company store. It costs a little more there but it's taken out of your check in installments and it's the kind they want. $60 isn't bad, I've got about $200 in locks that I "needed" and I keep them in my garage because I haven't used them in 10 years! Oh well I'll get my money back when I turn them in.
Good luck! I've got nothing but good to say about the training I received there, not so about some of the other companies I've driven for!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Board Icon

Well, I'd love to take 2 but the packing list states I'm only allowed 1 piece of luggage. I'm still going to carry a backpack that will fit inside of the bigger bag when I need it to. Got to keep my meds with me on the plane vs in the cargo hold. Just don't want to get too large of a bag.

Yes, a separate small baggie will have toiletries. Not sure on what foods to bring that would survive transport on an airplane. Pop tarts are great, love them but they won't survive being in a bag and tossed about! What about little go packs of laundry detergent, cheaper than on the road right?
Old 01-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Board Icon

Bit disturbed up here at this "school." Stay away from them if you can help it. I'll name them come next week. Getting 2 different stories of what they want to see at this "refresher course" and it's frustrating. The head guy acts like we need to be 100% instead of close. Chewed us out about doing pre trips yet they got us on a truck that is nothing like we will be driving. Everything is in a location that won't be the same at SNI. Got 2 trucks from SNI and the one isn't even roadworthy, it failed on us when I tried to do the Schneider brake test. Can't practice backing or pre trip on the other because it's being used for doing our practice road driving. The head guy keeps talking about how we can sign a new contract tomorrow if we don't "pass" and stay another week here......yet his minions tell us that last weeks SNI class was much worse than us and none of them are still here......I almost feel like I partially wasted 3 days up here. Drove for an hour and a half today, so now I have a grand total of 7.5 hours in a 10 speed. IMO I did great once I started getting the concept of downshifting the 10. Just have to be better upshifting into 7th but dang guys, last week I couldn't get a 10 past 3rd gear. Today I was rolling down the highway in 10th and downshifting closer to a pro.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:29 AM
Board Icon

Ok stay away from Heavy Metal Truck Training outta Newport, MN. Trucks of course are rolling wrecks. They only have a couple of trainers and of those, 2 are decent and patient. Pretty much everything we were told as the Schneider way was wrong. Got here to Carlisle and it's like WTF! Your allowed and required to get out of the truck at least once on your backing. And take as many pull-ups as needed. This school wanted us to 1 shot it with no pull-ups. Shifting points are a fair bit lower than the range we were told at the refresher. They also want us to skip gears at Schneider whether going up or down. None of that was allowed at the school. Or told us the wrong gears for what Schneider wants us doing turns in........

First day actually driving, I was a bit nervous, made some shifting misses. The roads of Carlisle SUCK for trucks! And the people got no patience for us, swinging around us illegally into oncoming lanes! My instructor for the week is a nice guy, his truck isn't the greatest, clutch needs looked at. Even he can't get a smooth takeoff or shift. Steering wheel vibrates and shakes pretty badly on braking. BIG class I'm in, had 30+, 2 are already gone. Everyone passed the physical the first day here. Class the week before us had only 20, it's down to like 10. These guys mean business and take safety very serious.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I take it SNI sent you to some other 'school' first? They used to do it all down there at Carlisle. When do you get out of there?
I'll be right down the road from you sometime this week at the New Kingstown terminal getting some new tires and work done. Supposed to get a new truck but its not here yet and will probably arrive a day or two after I leave.
SNI has a particular way of doing things and that's it, nothing else will do. Sounds like your doing ok. Keep us informed.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington