User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tow Insurance

I am looking to start my own small trucking company and looking to purchase an 2005 Peterbilt 357, a 1992 GMC, TOPKICK C6500 and a 1994 ISUZU ECOMAX.

I have read some of these stories about drivers being charged high rates. Being that they are older vehicles, is it worth it to purchase towing insurance? What is the upfront costs compared to just getting the trucks towed?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgal35 View Post
I am looking to start my own small trucking company and looking to purchase an 2005 Peterbilt 357, a 1992 GMC, TOPKICK C6500 and a 1994 ISUZU ECOMAX.

I have read some of these stories about drivers being charged high rates. Being that they are older vehicles, is it worth it to purchase towing insurance? What is the upfront costs compared to just getting the trucks towed?
i never heard of tow insurance, but then i am not a company owner. i have heard of a national break down service, which the company i had worked for used when we broke down.

yes tow rates are through the roof, and needn't be.

then it calls to beckon, for how long will one pay for this insurance and never need it and are there any discounts from a previous year of not ever needing it??
Old 08-05-2017, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Towing is expensive and in some locations or roads your stuck with one towing provider but tow insurance would probably be expensive and the real question is would the tow company accept it? Chances are the insurance company wants a discount and if the tow won't give a discount who pays the difference?(you) Where are they going to tow your truck to? If they don't have payment or a payment agreement it's going to the tow yard and may need to then be towed to a dealer or repair shop.(you pay again)
I've got almost 2 million miles and only been towed twice, once was a mechanical problem that was traced back to a poor repair(dealer reimbursed for that) and the second was from a deer hit. With that in mind I think the money would be better spent on preventive maintance, after all you need to do that anyway.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Rookie

No idea about the tow insurance. But getting a truck towed by a towing provider would obviously needed some sort of documentation which is accompanied by insurance as well. Whether it is a tow insurance provided by the firm isn't answered yet. And I think such firms would accept tow insurance provided by the insurance company. Well, one can find out this information directly from a towing company owner itself.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:55 AM
Board Icon

Tow insurance is just another way for insurance companies to fleece money out of your pockets. Just call around for the nearest hook available if you need one and pay it yourself. Spend that money your saving by not having "tow insurance" towards upkeep of your fleet as repete said or going into an account that you only use as a rainy day fund for when a vehicle goes down.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Rookie

Insurance is must for transport companies. As clients hire vehicle carrier services to safely transport the vehicle to the destination, this is the reason they always for insurance that companies provide. My friend opted for transportation services for towing his car, he checked all the terms on the company's website, and after assuring safety terms he hired the services.

Tags
newbie, operator, repair