User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2016, 03:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Almost a year without renewing license, medical card. Do I need to take road test?

5 years experience over the road. July 2015, I had to stop because of spinal stenosis affecting my feet and legs in order to get surgery.
My medical card expired 9/15/2015, my license changed over to D on 11/17/15 here in Massachusetts.
Took a long time to convince the insurance companies to pay for my surgery April 2016. I'm doing some rehab, but have drop foot on both feet.

I use braces and go to rehab, I'm driving cars etc, I won't have any problem driving.
I worry about getting a medical card, but my surgeon cleared me for work. I hope there are some exceptions so I can get the medical card, as I have read and seen handicapped people drive. Driving will be no problem.

I want to get a new card before a full year passes, the same with the license. Couldn't find the notifications explaining how to get license reinstated and no luck on DOT site. Will go by DMV tomorrow to ask, hopefully they are helpful.

Do you think they will reinstate the CDL if I get the medical card? Or do I have to get a CDL first, before going to the clinic?
Will I have to start over, since it's been less than a year, with road test, and backing, and having to come up with a truck?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Board Icon

Depends on your state! If they have already removed the CDL then sounds like you will have to start all over by taking the tests again. In VA, you have 30 days beyond your medical card expiring before they completely take your CDL, which means starting all over again with the tests unless you do some self exempting paperwork at which point you have a 6 month extension to get your medical card renewed and still keep your CDL.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Rookie

MA. I just made a phone call today to the RMV, I was put off by checking up on the RMV site to find that the office I had been using was not listed, like maybe done away with. So I called first and they switched me over to the CDL section to ask my questions.

Was very busy and scheduled a call back for tomorrow.
Also I got to do some studying before I go to a clinic to apply for medical card to see how they allow people with disabilities to drive. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:27 PM

in MA...this

Drivers who fail to comply will be disqualified fromoperating a CMV. If updated information is notreceived, the CDL will be downgraded to a Class Dlicense within 60 days. Failure to restore the CDLwithin 12 months will require retesting.

here is a list of all the states and what they require to get the CDL back

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcs...ions-FINAL.pdf
Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAnthony View Post
in MA...this

Drivers who fail to comply will be disqualified fromoperating a CMV. If updated information is notreceived, the CDL will be downgraded to a Class Dlicense within 60 days. Failure to restore the CDLwithin 12 months will require retesting.

here is a list of all the states and what they require to get the CDL back

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcs...ions-FINAL.pdf
Thank you, that's good news. I wasted another day, waiting for their call, but the CDL dept, told me to call the licenses dept, left another message.
Tomorrow I'm definitely going to the RMV.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

NEVER LET YOUR CDL EXPIRE OR GET REVOKED! EVEN IF YOU HAVE "HAD ENOUGH AND WILL NEVER GO NEAR A TRUCK AGAIN."

Life happens. Many curve balls come our way in life. If you have EARNED the right to our brother/sisterhood.........

At least give a doctor $50.00 and the BMV a few bucks to keep a life backup plan with an active CDL.

Ya just never know......................

Old 09-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Rookie

Well I went to the registry. For up to a year, all I have to do is get a DOT card, and come back to renew CDL for $55.
After learning this, I will wait another month before I go for DOT card. I need the time to rehab some more.
But a problem arose that I had gotten handicapped placards before the surgery because I couldn't walk for more than 200 ft or yards because of pain. So I have to clear it with Medical affairs, I would rather go back to work, than hang on to a handicapped placard. We will see.

But talking to medical affairs, I was told that if I had a loss of use (leg) or being deaf, they could give a waiver, but since I had not said loss of use, they couldn't help.
I'm just passing along information, not applying it to my case.

If I failed a DOT medical, I could apply to another dept, skills evaluation performance test. That's another story that explains how wounded vets and such can drive with bionic legs and such.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Hate to hear that. Who'd a thought that a 'handicapped permit' would enter into to the story? Great board advice.

There used to be an Indy fuel hauler with no left arm. I asked him one day, and he explained that he spilled hot tar on his arm and eventually had to be amputated.

He also advised that looking back..........it was just too painful and would have had his arm removed immediately. But, he still had a CDLA and running with the big boys.

Point being: Explore your options to the fullest.

SSG US Army. 82-01