User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Failed Pre-Employed Road Test, Local Job

I am a recent CDL School Grad/CDL/w/endorsements looking for a local job (I have learned how difficult it is to find a company that will take on a new grad at the local level, just cannot go OTR at this time). I had not driven a truck for over a month and one half, so I was rusty and was getting some blocking gear shifts (not bad grinding at all). Once I became used to the shift pattern I did much better. The company knew I was a new driver but, the senior employee who graded me failed me, said I would have to stay in their yard and get lots of practice. I feel that I am trainable but I need time behind the wheel. I have read other forums and found that even experienced truckers said they failed prospective employer driving tests. It is obvious that this company does not have the time to train me. What do I do? Any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Board Icon

I'd try hard to find another company. I might be in the same boat to a point. I just did an interview, wasn't informed a driving test would also be done at the same time.......didn't do too hot on it. I have very little experience in a 10 speed, my current ride is a straight 6. Funny thing is, I drove an 18 speed about 6 years ago for about 15 minutes and took to it like a duck to water. My muscle memory kept going for the next set of gears that weren't over there in the 10 speed. He was amazed by my backing ability though, so I got that going for me! Heck I was dressed to the nine's to make a good impression for the interview, wrong footwear on so I couldn't feel the pedals and feels funny wearing dress pants while driving a truck!