User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Path to Heavy Haul

This may not be the correct place for this but was unsure of what the correct location would be.

I am just re-entering the industry after an 8 year hiatus. Currently I am operating with Schneider on a Dedicated Team Truck. I plan to stay here until the end of 2015, but after that I want to move on to something else.

I keep seeing these ATS (ATC?) Trucks hauling these massive Wind Turbine parts and can't help but think how incredibly challenging that must be, how rewarding. I'm not saying that I necessarily want to do that specific job, but something like that.

What is the best path to working Heavy Haul? Flatbed-Stepdeck-Oversize? All the above? What order? How much time should be spent with each (given a slightly above average ability to learn quickly)? Currently I am taking home around $1k/wk and something that I need to maintain, with that in mind, which companies are best (I know very subjective) to gain experience with? Also which companies will allow me to stay in the Central US, or Central to Pacific? I have no desire to ever cross the Mississippi again, and I draw the line at the Ohio. Will I need/want to own my own truck or can you still earn high wages as a company driver?

Thank you in advance for all serious responses. If you require more information from me to better answer my question please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistNATruck View Post
I keep seeing these ATS (ATC?) Trucks hauling these massive Wind Turbine parts and can't help but think how incredibly challenging that must be, how rewarding. I'm not saying that I necessarily want to do that specific job, but something like that.
Hi, ArtistNATruck!! Welcome to CAD.

If you're wanting to learn more about the science of wind farming, I would invite you to contact the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Just Google NREL; that will take you directly to their website. I would also encourage you to Google West Texas A&M University Alternative Energy Institute as well. The people at WTAMU could probably help get you pointed in the right direction. Texas A&M University in College Station Texas has an excellent meteorology program; in fact, it's the only university in Texas that offers a degree program in meteorology. Obviously, wind farming has much to do with meteorology, and for the most part, A&M's people are top notch.

Please understand that it's unlikely that any of the above mentioned institutions would be able to help find placement as a driver, but they might be able to help you develop a viable network of "people who know people, who know other people". Referencing your remarks about seeking new challenges, and working in a rewarding profession, you strike me as being interested in learning more about the wind energy industry, as well as the logistical and transport aspects of the industry.

I've been on this board for about nine years, and in that time, I don't know of any drivers here at CAD who work, or who have worked in this niche that you are wanting to explore. We do have a Board Administrator Extraordinaire who calls himself "GMAN". He was driving trucks before trucks were invented, he's older than dirt, and he's nowhere near as handsome as I am, but he owns and operates a small fleet of trucks, and he is the king of drop decks. He's arguably the best "go-to" person on this board........ or for that matter, any other industry related boards.

I know that you're going to find this very hard to believe, but in matters of trucking, he knows more than I do....... but don't tell him that I told you that!! Seriously though, he's grown and prospered through the good times in the industry, and he's managed to survive through the industry's most difficult times. He won't steer you wrong.

If you'll Google "Trucking Windmill Blades Transport", you'll find a number of trucking companies serving that niche in the trucking industry. Contacting their HR Departments might be a place to start, as they can give you the particulars regarding hiring. I would also encourage you to speak to someone in their safety departments as well, as they can offer you more specifics regarding what makes for better drivers in that market niche, and what they like to see on driver's resumes.

You may need to rethink your geographical preferences and limitations. For one thing, you're wanting to work in a specialized area of trucking, and you'll need to go where employment and training opportunities present themselves. Another factor to consider is the fact that there is considerable activity in the wind farming and alternative energy activity in regions that are west of the Mississippi River. In many respects, the open lands, including the mountainous and desert regions west of the Mississippi are more ideally suited for wind farm development.

About half of the electricity produced in the U.S. is produced by coal. The coal industry rules in the Appalachian regions of the nation and their lobbyists' coffers are flush with cash. Obviously, the prospects of wind power don't excite them. Also, bear in mind that the majority of nuclear power plants in the U.S. are situated east of the river, so the prospects for developing wind farms east of the Mississippi aren't as bright as they are within the western half of the United States.

Something To Consider:

Just over a year ago, (November 2013) Lincoln Renewable Energy, LLC received approval from the Texas Public Utilities Commission to begin construction of a 300 megawatt wind farm in Castro County, which is about 50 miles from Amarillo, Tx., in the Texas panhandle. The possibilities of developing a wind farm off of the Texas shores of the Gulf of Mexico are also being explored.

Gotta' run, but I hope this helps. Here's wishing you the very best, and please let us know how things go!!

Last edited by Useless; 12-18-2014 at 09:12 PM.