User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2014, 03:24 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Back and joint problems...

I've been seriously thinking about driving for about a year now, but it will be a few years before I'd start because I must go through college first (going for business degree)... But I'm an equestrian and due to the inevitable "horse accidents" that have happened and will definitely happen in the future, plus wear-and-tear on my joints from riding all the time, I have both a bad back and bad joints. Thinking it's something more than that, going for back and knee x-Rays soon and then bloodwork to test for any other problems.
My questions are, how would OTR affect chronic back pain? I may be a lot better than I am now by then, but what options are available to ease back pain besides meds? And would the oh-so-wonderful joint problems affect anything, or would it just be a nuisance?
Thanks in advance, any other advice would be appreciated too
Old 12-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Senior Board Member

don't drive a older cabover kw an you be rite
Old 12-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Hi, Allyxon! Welcome to CAD.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I was a radiology tech and a degreed radiology nurse (BSN) before I became a driver. I've also taught osteology on an adjunct basis. That was a long time ago, and I haven't driven OTR for nearly a decade. I can tell you with absolute certainty that had a disproportionate number of patients who were ex-truck drivers, so I do have some direct experience in these realm, both as a health care provider, and as a driver. I may not be the accomplished equestrian that you are, but I do know how to sit on a horsee!!

A few questions to consider:

How old are you?? Have you entered college yet?? Do you have a degree plan?? Have you declared a major?? Any idea of when you anticipate graduating?? I'm a firm believer in education. You'll never do it any younger, and the longer you postpone your education, the harder it will be to complete it. In today's world, you really do need it.

Without more specifics regarding the nature of your injuries, it's really not possible to offer you anything more than general observations. Based upon your posting, it sounds like your maladies are more degenerative in relation to injuries, as opposed to being pathological; but whether they are injury/degenerative or pathological in nature, they still cause pain. You don't need me to tell you that!! The only prognosis that I can offer you is that a career in trucking will certainly not help your situation. I wasn't a "career driver". I only ran OTR for a couple of years, and I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I came off the road looking, and feeling like I had aged five to ten years. Looking back through family photo albums confirms that observation.

Even under the best of circumstances, truck driving is hard on your muskuloskeletal system. Hours of sitting in the cab, rolling down some highways that aren't always so smooth will leave your spinal column talking to you. Climbing in and out of the cab, as well as the trailer will take it's toll on your knees. Then, there's the additional wear and tear that you'll encounter while pre-tripping, post-tripping, airing up tires, etc. If you have to fingerprint the loads, (that means handle the freight) the demands upon your body will obviously be harder. These are just a few factors to consider. Add inclement weather to the mix, and your scenarios only go even further downhill. You live in Pennsylvania, so you don't need me to tell you that, either!!

After obtaining your Class a CDL, whether it's through a wholesale freight relocation university, (diploma mill training school) or a company sponsored program, you'll still need to spend a hitch as a driver trainee. During your period as a driver trainee, you'll be most likely be running teams, at least for a while. Now, try to imagine sleeping in a berth, after you've been sitting behind the wheel for some long hours. Your spinal column is screaming at you, so now your going to bouncing along in the sleeper berth, while trying to get some restful sleep??

Not likely.

Another problem with driving is that poor dietary habits are all too much the norm, and that will wreak havoc with your body's metabolic, digestive, urinary, and immune systems, as well as glucose/insulin balances. Over time, your body tends to shift into increasingly acidic realms, and the toxins in your system build. Those increases in toxicity will also play sheer hell with your muskuloskeletal system; particularly with your spinal column. More than a few of my patients were former drivers with diabetes, and they were dealing with various stages of ESRF/ESRD. (End Stage Renal Failure / End Stage Renal Dysfunction/Disease) Google those terms. Trust me, it isn't a pretty sight.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but unless I'm misreading your situation, I really don't see driving as a very promising possibility for you.

Here's wishing you the best.

Last edited by Useless; 12-06-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Useless is right on. Look what happens to buildings during and after earthquakes. Vibration causes things to crumble. Your skeletal system will feel like it's in an earthquake daily. The positive thing is the human body is alive and regenerates itself, but the continuous stress takes it's toll.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Board Icon

And now for the other side of the story. Not questioning the opinions of the others... let me tell you my situation and experience. I have a (minor) genetic deformation of my 5th Lumbar disc. S1,L5 Spondylolisthesis (I think it's called,) and one leg a "silly centimeter" longer than the other. Needless to say, I've lived with chronic lower back pain all my life. Had to quit football in Jr. High due to being temporarily paralyzed by a blow from the side. When going for my flight physical in the A.F., they wanted to fuse it all together... which I would not allow.

I have been going to chiropractors since adolescence, and swear by them! Any MD worth his salt will admit that many ailments can be avoided or corrected by "spinal manipulation" or adjustments. But, the trick to good spinal/skeletal alignment and health, is keeping the attending muscles in shape. We would all crumple like the above mentioned brick house during an earthquake if we didn't keep the muscular system "toned." Indeed... that is pretty much what happens as we age later in life.

It is important, of course, for you to find out the extent of your injuries and whether or not "manipulations" combined with proper back exercises will help. I would not want you to make matters worse. That being said...

I've been driving for 9 years with this condition. My back gets a bit stiff if I sit too long, so.... stop and take breaks. Get out of your truck and move around... perhaps, do a few quick exercises or stretches. Don't even try flatbedding, as those tarps are somewhat heavy and you have to use your back a whole lot more. There are MANY trucking opportunities where you don't have to lift anything. My biggest problem has been with older trucks where the driver's seat is no longer LEVEL. It is NOT good for you to sit all day with your lower back/hip area "skewed" downward on one side.

Also... I have spent most of my career as a Team driver. Yep, sleeping in a moving, bouncing, vibrating truck. And what a blessing it is! You're probably too young to remember the hotel beds called "magic fingers," where you insert a quarter and the bed vibrates for a period of time. But, why do you think they had those? Why do we have vibrators? Because.... it relaxes muscles that have gotten tightened by the workload, and that allows your spine to "realign" itself... especially with the HELP of the bounces and vibrations. This works best if you sleep on your side with the upper leg "drawn up." This is essentially the same posture the chiropractor puts you in before giving you a JOLT (like a bump in the road) to "ease" your spine back into the correct alignment.

As for knee joints: I personally think that working a clutch is good for it... but, I'm not sure (especially in a traffic jam.) Use the cruise control whenever you can to keep from straining your right leg.

An older golfing buddy of mine, who has suffered joint pain most of his life, has recently been singing the praises of over the counter Glucosine? (not sure if that is the correct name.) It's supposed to help with joint pain. I've heard both good and bad about this, but it seems to work for him.

As you are obviously much younger than me, I can only suppose that (barring serious problems from your "falls,") you could do just fine in trucking if you start now developing a regimen of back and joint exercises, maintain good muscle tone and keep your weight within norms.

BTW... in case you don't know... most of today's trucks have "air ride" seats that absorb most of the bumps in the road, and even have lumbar supports adjustable by "air balloons." Likewise... both the cabs AND the sleeper bunks are "air rides."

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Well I might as well toss my .02 in. When i started driving my knees hurt so bad on a bad day I could barely climb out of bed let alone go down the stairs. It was so bad that I installed a second hand rail so I had railings on both side of the steps. I also had problems with hands and wrists all from being young and invincible.
I'm nowhere near 100% but I can hike and do stuff like that, I think just the change in occupation combined with the Glucosamine tablets and giving the joints a chance to heal was worked wonders. I now work a lot smarter not harder!
Glucosamine really does help, it even helps my 12 year old Chocolate Lab!
But I have a question for the OP. Why go to collage if your going to drive a truck? Are you wanting to start your own company?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Rookie

Wow that was fast! Yall are awesome
mitchno1: I probably won't be haha

Useless: you're not useless XD I'm in high school now, I know it's "young" but at the school I'm at it's never too young for college and career planning. It's a vocational school and I'm in the nursing program courtesy of my parents. Just isn't for me. I'll be graduating and heading off to a college for my business degree in 2016. I figure anywhere I go, whatever I do, business will always help and a degree certainly looks good. I know it's hard to tell over posting what it is and I'm not sure myself yet. I'll probably post another update on what it is, if anything, and figure out where to go from there. Would take too much space to explain the pain it's very strange and comes and goes depending on weather and activity.
I'm 99% sure I'll be taking the CDL program at my school, they have the adult education programs and I know one of the CDL instructors, so I figure, why not go there after I get back from college?
Actually, on the way into school I sleep on the bus (can't drive in) and I sleep better in those 2 hours than I do in my own bed. I'm just different I guess haha.
You're not being pessimistic, I've spent hours weighing it and thinking of it and it's affect on me.

Bigmon: yeah I know that earthquake feeling haha! Just take my pain and stuff day by day and it works.

Golfhobo: I would definitely keep it toned. I do stretch a lot and that seems to help. Since I had my appointment and got the order for x-Rays finally, I've really been looking forward to the chiro if that's what I need. I probably won't do flatbedding unless I have a change of heart because of the tarps... Read all about that!

Repete: first of all, I like your picture there haha XD and your George Washington quote!
Being in the medical program, I have heard that it's great for joints. Used to give that to our old golden before he passed, he had real bad hips. Was 16 by the time we had to put him down, and he had an awesome life. When my parents lived in Arizona he ran half way across the desert to see my dad at work. Smart dog.
Anyway, it's more of a personal goal for me and a family "requirement" and business helps just about anywhere. And I may be O/O once I get out there a bit. The family really doesn't accept what I want to do with my life, they all still push nursing even though they know full well I can't be anything "medical", it's just not for me. And I've always wanted the "college experience" being away from home since I never get out and spend most of my time alone. It'll be good for me haha oh I need a life.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I broke my back about 15 years or so ago. I also broke my pelvis and both wrists at the same time. I did have some problems with driving the first few years. Now, I rarely have a problem other than some stiffness, if I drive for too long. Once I start moving around, the stiffness goes away. Everyone expected me to have problems for the rest of my life. I was in a body cast for about 4 1/2 months and a back brace for about a year. I was very fortunate. I mostly pull a step deck, so I tarp, chain and strap loads. Many years ago, before the newer suspensions, most drivers who had been in this business for any length of time, had back problems. We have air ride seats and suspensions, so it is much easier on the body than a few decades ago. It can be a challenge to ear right while on the road, but it can be done. It just takes a little more effort. You can also take your own food along in your truck. I take vitamins and herbs but nothing else. If you have problems with arthritis, there are natural supplements you might want to start taking. Coral calcium can help build and keep bones strong. Check with one of the vitamin shops. They can usually suggest supplements you can take that might help.

I am glad you plan on going on to college. Many people who get into trucking find that they don't really enjoy it as much as they thought they would. It is always good to have options and a good education can give you those options. I spent almost 6 years in business school at a major university. I consider it time well spent. A business degree is one of the most valuable degrees you could pursue. It is a degree that can be useful in most any endeavor. You don't necessarily need a degree in this business, there are things you will learn that will benefit you for the rest of your life. An education won't make you smarter, but it will make you a more well rounded individual. It will also give you time to learn about yourself, your interests and what you want to do with your life. Upon graduation you will be ready to start your real learning.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:50 AM
Rookie

Ouch! Sounds painful!
Was thinking about taking supplements but right now I don't know what it is, so I take Aleve and stuff as needed, and once I find out what it is, I'll take stuff for it of course.
Yeah that's exactly my thinking. The hard part for me is trying to find a less expensive college that has what I want, outside of classes. I still plan to ride through college, there's a national association that allows us to compete and I know I want that if I'm still riding, and those would probably be my last competitions. If I'm still riding by then, anyway haha! The right college is important to me and I've been struggling with the "But what's the point" issues lately.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Back and Joint Problems???

1.) Kick BACK.....

2.) Fire up a JOINT.....

3.) No PROBLEM!!

J/K!!!

Last edited by Useless; 12-07-2014 at 10:41 PM.