User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Diesel wholesale?

Where I can buy Diesel on wholesale? I would like to storage 10,000-20,000 gallons of diesel on my place. How to do that? Any advice?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Rookie

If it was me, I'd get a used 10K to 20K gallon capacity tanker trailer to store the fuel, and most important; NEVER TELL anyone you have hazmat diesel on the property. Anyone ask, say "…there's water in that tanker, and I have a high volume water pump mounted in a pickup truck. In a fire emergency, I can put out the flame myself instead of relying on the fire department." So besides the tanker, you'll need to procure a small pickup truck with a pump in the back, fire hoses, and make it look like you're equipped to put out a fire. If anyone learns you're storing hazmat diesel in large quantities, you're looking at fines for not having proper legal documents to keep hazmat diesel. You're only allowed to have 5 gallons of hazmat chemicals, more if its stored in a vehicle's fuel tank AND its fuel for that vehicle's use. Now I'm talking about a private non-commercial business property. If you're running a small trucking operation, I think that's allowed, but you'll need to check with a lawyer specializing in commercial business. Some states like communist CA requires double-lined underground tankers to keep large amounts of diesel fuel, so fleet operations keep it hush-hush and do it anyway. When state inspectors show up, a driver is immediately dispatched to move the trailer to make it look like he's making a routine delivery.

You'll need to resarch the nearest oil refinery in your region to buy diesel wholesale. You'll need to furnish documents the diesel is for business fleet operation to qualify for bulk volume discount.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passingtrucker View Post
If it was me, I'd get a used 10K to 20K gallon capacity tanker trailer to store the fuel, and most important; NEVER TELL anyone you have hazmat diesel on the property. Anyone ask, say "…there's water in that tanker, and I have a high volume water pump mounted in a pickup truck. In a fire emergency, I can put out the flame myself instead of relying on the fire department." So besides the tanker, you'll need to procure a small pickup truck with a pump in the back, fire hoses, and make it look like you're equipped to put out a fire. If anyone learns you're storing hazmat diesel in large quantities, you're looking at fines for not having proper legal documents to keep hazmat diesel. You're only allowed to have 5 gallons of hazmat chemicals, more if its stored in a vehicle's fuel tank AND its fuel for that vehicle's use. Now I'm talking about a private non-commercial business property. If you're running a small trucking operation, I think that's allowed, but you'll need to check with a lawyer specializing in commercial business. Some states like communist CA requires double-lined underground tankers to keep large amounts of diesel fuel, so fleet operations keep it hush-hush and do it anyway. When state inspectors show up, a driver is immediately dispatched to move the trailer to make it look like he's making a routine delivery.

You'll need to resarch the nearest oil refinery in your region to buy diesel wholesale. You'll need to furnish documents the diesel is for business fleet operation to qualify for bulk volume discount.
Thank You for your replay!

I was thinking to buy some tank like this.
USA Tank Gallery - USA Tank
I would store maybe 20,000 gallons in start and later to add more on site fuel storage.

Yes I would go thru lawyer and other legal stuff about this.

I just wonder how much is difference from wholesale diesel price and retail diesel price? Is there any economy sense for doing such thing?

I would secure property on best possible way :-)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Buy it and have it dumped in a local fuel stop. Pay a few cents handling fee. Can't buy it without fed/state taxes unless you have a wholesale license. Putting out 35-70K upfront you will only save a little compared to a decent cost+ fuel program.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=Passingtrucker;528395][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]If it was me, I'd get a used 10K to 20K gallon capacity tanker trailer to store the fuel, and most important; NEVER TELL anyone you have hazmat diesel on the property. Anyone ask, say "…there's water in that tanker, and I have a high volume water pump mounted in a pickup truck. In a fire emergency, I can put out the flame myself instead of relying on the fire department."

Ok that is really stupid advice, No offense meant but seriously NEVER TELL anyone you have Hazmat on your property???? As I say in my job of delivering Fuel the chances of a fire are slim if you follow procedure, however??? there is always a chance of the unexpected happening, are you willing to pay the price if the unexpected happens??? lets say an explosion, fire ending with someone losing their life, you are in for a long stay in prison.. Is it worth it??

a 20,000 gallon tank will only hold 18,000 safely (90% rule) my advice educate yourself properly and follow all laws pertaining to storage of Fuel product in your state.....

Timberwolf

The Irony behind the fact that I find Solace behind the wheel of 80,000 lbs of explosive material..
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
a 20,000 gallon tank will only hold 18,000 safely (90% rule) my advice educate yourself properly and follow all laws pertaining to storage of Fuel product in your state.....

Timberwolf

The Irony behind the fact that I find Solace behind the wheel of 80,000 lbs of explosive material..
I am trying to do some research online but it's not easy to find. Do You have idea how much is difference from wholesale price to retail diesel price. I found so far about $0.45 per gallon is that realistic?

I would buy tank to storage about 100,000 gallons and would start with 20,000 gallons of diesel. I would follow all procedures and laws requirement for sure. I would also take some insurance.

At the moment I am trying to see if there is some economic sense to do all of that.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 PM

[QUOTE=Dejan Novakovic;528414]I am trying to do some research online but it's not easy to find. Do You have idea how much is difference from wholesale price to retail diesel price. I found so far about $0.45 per gallon is that realistic?

I would buy tank to storage about 100,000 gallons and would start with 20,000 gallons of diesel. I would follow all procedures and laws requirement for sure. I would also take some insurance.

At the moment I am trying to see if there is some economic sense to do all of that.

The cost of purchasing a proper fuel tank along with all other cost required for storage of fuel will far out weigh your dream to save a few cents... Once again no offense but something about this post is off... the numbers you are talking about are way to high for personal use, !00,000 gallons???? in your last post however the first post states 10 to 20 thousand?? either way you look at it, it would be years before you would recover any savings..
good luck..

Timberwolf
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
The cost of purchasing a proper fuel tank along with all other cost required for storage of fuel will far out weigh your dream to save a few cents... Once again no offense but something about this post is off... the numbers you are talking about are way to high for personal use, !00,000 gallons???? in your last post however the first post states 10 to 20 thousand?? either way you look at it, it would be years before you would recover any savings..
good luck..
Timberwolf
Ok let me try to explain myself completely. First sorry for my bad English. I will have some cash for investment in mid-2014. Now I am in stage of making plans. I already have 5 acre land in industrial zone California. (worth about 600k maybe little more).

I plan to buy for start maybe 3 or 4 brand new trucks (150k each) and each truck will have 150 gallon tank. Then I would hire drivers for those trucks. Also I would hire 2 persons (brother and his wife) for dispatch and other finance job. They are outside US but so salary's will be really low I will have to invest in some phones and VOIP systems.

I was thinking to buy also fuel storage tank on my yard so drivers can fill tank on 'site'. Tank would be in start for maybe 100,000 gallons or more but until I got more trucks maybe no sense to invest in 100,000 gallons of fuel so I would start with maybe 20k gallons or so. I was thinking something like this
http://www.basepic.com/2014/Jan/01/04859525.jpg

I just wonder if there is economic sense to do something like that or not. I don't know how buying from wholesale works in US but I will try to investigate for next 6 months at least before I jump in something.

Any idea?

Last edited by Dejan Novakovic; 01-01-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

If you have the cash to pay up-front you will come out about the same as pre-buy at a local fuel stop. Used to dump 10K gallons at three stations every month. At that time I paid about .03 handling fee at the stations. Check around with some.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan Novakovic View Post

Yes I would go thru lawyer and other legal stuff about this.

I just wonder how much is difference from wholesale diesel price and retail diesel price? Is there any economy sense for doing such thing?

I would secure property on best possible way :-)

I'm quite sure its a trade secret. Otherwise, too many O/Os would pool their $$ together to buy a tanker, then buy diesel wholesale, and that would put small independent stations and truck stops out of business because too many )O/Os have a source to procure diesel at the same cost as truck stops.