User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TEXAS ONLY Job Hunting Help

I am looking for a Texas ONLY truck driving job. I am a truck driving school graduate with Class A CDL in hand. I have tanker and double/triple endorsements.
I have DOT Med card, clean driving record, squeaky clean background, clean everything and even scored a 95% on my driving test.

The problem seems to be that companies that can keep me here want a year or two of OTR experience. I would love to go OTR but can't just yet. I'm on a state vision waiver and have a federal waiver application working through the system and hope to have it by March '14.

I got a job right out of school that keeps me here but its a bad, really bad situation. They short me on pay, change my pay rate without telling me, won't put more than $100 - $200 of fuel at a time and if I'm in a situation where they don't respond and I have to put fuel in it and I do, they won't reimburse me because, and I quote "we don't like the receipt you turned in, it looks like you printed it or got it from someone else". Seriously? Like I keep a dot matrix printer from 1987 in the truck with no computer to hook it up to??? Was out for three weeks and came back to get only half of what I was owed. Gave me a completely ridicules contract to sign that is still unsigned.

What do I do?
How do I work for people that treat me as guilty until I prove my innocence?

Thanks for reading. Hope someone has a good solution.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Texas is a big state. Where are you, and what are you hauling?? Do you have any other health related issues??
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Rookie

No sir. No other health issues. The vision issue was inflicted by a tennis ball when I was 15. I am in the Arlington area of D/FW. I'm currently driving a 48' spread axle flat bed and have hauled all sorts of commodities. Re-bar, shingles, crane mats, bagged mulch, steel straps and so on. Love the job, not the other stuff.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Check with Celadon. When I worked for them, they had a Texas regional division. You would be based out of Waxahachie (just south of Dallas).
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Werner has a yard in Dallas off I-20. Schneider also has a yard near the TA and Flying J off I-20. I would check to see if they have some regional opportunities. I recall a couple of trucking companies near Joshua that have had signs advertising for drivers. I have also seen some off 67 going south.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Thanks. Celadon wants OTR. I need to stay in Texas and that seems to be a tall order to fill. The companies that will keep me in Texas want 1-2 years of OTR. I seem to be stuck.
Werner and Schneider reserve the local/regional stuff for the "experienced" drivers.