User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is Prime Inc. a good company to start with?

Hi Everyone,

I been a school bus driver for 6 years now and I'm ready to haul cargo that doesn't talk back. lol. I been looking into Prime Inc. out of Springfield, MO because I don't live far from Springfield. I've thoroughly looked over their website and I like what I see so far. Unfortunately, I don't have money to pay for my schooling so I'm going to have to use a company paid training program, which Prime does have. My wife is also thinking of doing it, and after our training is over, we're both thinking of doing team driving together.

Does anybody know of some drawbacks or reasons why I might want to stay away from Prime? Has any of you worked for Prime and if so, what is it like? Do you think I should stay away from the company paid training programs? I appreciate any input you all can give me. Thank you so much for your time.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Senior Board Member

I know a lot of people get into these company paid training and then can't get out without paying hefty fines. I've had people come to work for me and we had to wait months because if they left early they would have had to pay thousands for the schooling.

Here in Florida, and you can check in your state, they have Vocational Schools run by the Public school system. I think they even have financial aid. I think it is now up to $1800 for a 13 week intense course, with time spend IN A Truck, night trips, scaling out, logs etc. From there you can go to any big company. As I have insurance that does not require minimum length, I have hired plenty right out of the school (the best in the class) and then put them with actual trainers.

So in short look for vocational schools, it will be cheaper and less baggage if things don't work out in the long run.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM

I've not worked for Prime so I can't offer any advice there, but when I started in 2006 I used the new student driver program for a company in Joplin named CFI (which is now Conway Truckload). I went to Crowder Colledge in Neosho for a month of training then through orientation with CFI and out with a trainer for 7,500 miles then pulled my first solo load, at which point all but $1,000 of the tuition for Crowder was taken care of by CFI (room and board was on me). I happen to be returning to drive for them this week as an owner/operator and highly recommend you at least consider that as an option.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Rookie

It is a great place.

Be sure to mention my name,

so I get the referral credit !!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I can't speak much for Prime, as I've never worked for them. However, it would be a good idea to check out the local technical/community colleges that may offer a CDL program. That way, you won't be tied to a company trying to pay for your CDL schooling.
Since nobody has said it yet, I will. One thing about Prime (or any other company): DO NOT LEASE! There have been a few threads floating around here about Prime and their lease program:
http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/t...g-program.html This is the most recent one, but the OP never did reveal the secrets to success. Since you're close to their terminal, go over there and talk to them, if possible. Ask their drivers how well they like it. That should be a good starting point.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Rookie

No first-hand experience either, but I've spoke to a few guys and they'll seem pretty happy.
I second the opinion, do not lease!

You might want to look into Maverick out of Arkansas, might be a better option

I actually live in Monett for several years, not sure how far that is from
are.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It is a great place.

Be sure to mention my name,

so I get the referral credit !!
Thats good!!

Never drove for Prime, but try to stay away from company paid training! It's tough enough getting used to driveing and being away from home now toss in a debt to the company store? You've already shown some mental issue by driving a school bus for 5 years! On second thought OTR just might be a walk in the park for you. Really borrow the money if you have to, use co. paid traing as a last resort good luck

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Rookie

Avoid the company paid training and what ever you do don't go into a lease purchase until you have a good year or two under your belt. There is more than enough to learn with out trying to run a business to start.