User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help me please!

First off I am not new driver but own 3 trucks but do not drive any even though I have CDL. Okay what I need help is if anybody knows any place to get cheap-or financeable prosthetic arm? I was born without lower left forearm and hand, haven't worn prosthetic since 3. Well FMCSA says I have to have to get a skill performance evaluation certificate to accompany physical, without that cert my physical is null and void until I get one. I found out hard way about 4 years ago when got put out of service. I haven't had itch to drive our trucks but now I need driver and it would be nice while in driver search if I could hop in and keep miles rolling because god knows insurance and that crap doesn't. This is stupid rule of FMCSA, its mandatory, it should be up to state evaluator guys discretion. I wouldn't use the prosthetic but to get my physical current and weight stations, etc. I drive a 170+ mpg drag car that is sometimes very hard to keep straight (because track not my driving ability) but yet FMCSA doesn't think I can drive a truck without. Please any assistance,, guidance or whatnot is appreciated!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 AM
Rookie

Ya the FMCSA regs on that are BS, If you can drive, you can drive. Seems there should be a discrimination lawsuit over that one. If your prosthetic allows you to drive just as good as anybody else, it should be a moot point. It's not like your friggen blind! Seems like it would be a violation of the ADA.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I can only offer the whatnot.

Don't you dragsters drive those cars with your brass balls?
My Dad use to fly his aerobatic stunt plane the same way. Seat of the pants was how they called it.

I hope you get things worked out so you can drive. Slip seating will be nice for you like you mentioned, but also to get you out of the office.
You will love making a run now and then, and it will keep you more in tune, with your equipment, and your drivers.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Rookie

This will me a multi-step process.
First thing you need to do is get a state issued vision/limb waiver, once you have that, you will then pass the physical. If you are required to have a CDL because you're an owner, you will need a Intrastate CDL (your state only). I just went through this process in Texas and am now applying for the Federal one through FMCSA.
I just hope you are not in California. The process there is so convoluted and impossible to navigate and is a never ending loop of B.S.
I found the Texas process online in 10 minutes and moved here a week later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc5952 View Post
First off I am not new driver but own 3 trucks but do not drive any even though I have CDL. Okay what I need help is if anybody knows any place to get cheap-or financeable prosthetic arm? I was born without lower left forearm and hand, haven't worn prosthetic since 3. Well FMCSA says I have to have to get a skill performance evaluation certificate to accompany physical, without that cert my physical is null and void until I get one. I found out hard way about 4 years ago when got put out of service. I haven't had itch to drive our trucks but now I need driver and it would be nice while in driver search if I could hop in and keep miles rolling because god knows insurance and that crap doesn't. This is stupid rule of FMCSA, its mandatory, it should be up to state evaluator guys discretion. I wouldn't use the prosthetic but to get my physical current and weight stations, etc. I drive a 170+ mpg drag car that is sometimes very hard to keep straight (because track not my driving ability) but yet FMCSA doesn't think I can drive a truck without. Please any assistance,, guidance or whatnot is appreciated!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Board Icon

Is the FMCSA saying you need the prosthetic? Or the skill eval test?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Senior Board Member

If I'm understanding correctly, he needs the prostheses in order to be able to take the skills evaluation test.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Rookie

I think you should contact the organization that's are working on it.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Board Icon

I hear there is quite a bit of cost in fitting, and setting up to use a prosthetic arm, too.
The costs vary so much in the equipment itself, and even the basic equipment is expensive.

I found this real interesting. A 17 year old has some really great ideas, which could improve prosthesis and make them more affordable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfmNXPMjChs#t=520

Old 12-21-2013, 03:16 AM

I have to have prosthetic to get skill performance evaluation certificate. I have not had one since I was 3. And yes by '56 Chevy at 170 in 1/4 does take something, don't know if brass balls or loose screws lol. I even shift that car, lol. Thanks for info btw.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, he needs the prostheses in order to be able to take the skills evaluation test.
So glad to see you still hangin' with us Useless! I just read the relevant portion of the regs that is included on my physical form. I'll need to read the regs more thouroughly, but...

It says... "a prosthetic OR equipment modifications which enable them to safely operate of CMV."

Clearly.... there has always BEEN a "waiver" program for those who have lost a limb. I have one of those "spinner knobs" on my steering wheel at the moment. I wonder if a "reverse" apparatus could be designed. Something like a CUP that the stub can be seated into allowing the same "spinner" motion of the wheel?? Any ideas?

They DO use the term "ability to perform NORMAL tasks associated with operating a CMV." He would need to get the SPE certification... but, he MIGHT not need a prosthetic to qualify if he can otherwise prove the "skill."

I'm going to look more into this.