User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie advice from veterans

My biggest concern beginning has been when arriving at shippers or receivers not knowing what to do or where to go. Dont want to annoy other drivers by me being stupid. I drive flatbed by the way. But each place is totally different. Most have no signs or instructions. Do i scale before or after or both. Example i was going to lumber yard to pick up load. Pulled in an another truck was on scales so when he pulled off i pulled up, the guy in booth started yelling on cb that i had to back up an pull to the left side. I sat there while he let log trucks in an out one after the other finally 30 minutes later he called me. Another time i was delivering load so i called an lady said i needed to go to building 5. When i got there i saw a line of trucks on side of road but there was numbered buildings everywhere so i figured they were waiting for another building. So i pulled down into building 5 parking area. Two guys came out all pissed wondering what i was doing i said lady said go to building 5. Well you have to go back out an get in back of line. So i had to turn around in tiny area an go out. How was i suppose to know? Most of them are rude. So any advise how to be smarter
Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You need to pay closer attention. Most shippers have signs posted to tell drivers where to go. Often, they have a specific CB channel that you can use to contact them. I sometimes call another truck to get directions or to find out where to go when at a new facility. You can also call ahead for directions and information. The most important thing is to pay close attention as you enter the shipper's property. Keep your CB on and don't hesitate to hail another truck. Most are more than willing to assist you. No one wants another truck to run ahead of them. Communication is the key.

Tags
advice, confused, receivers, shippers