User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey GMAN, are you the same GMAN in the Truckers Report Forum?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

allways use the clutch thats what its there for mate .seen lots of smart asses gear boxs in workshops with broken shafts and they say they bin doing it for years
Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchno1 View Post
allways use the clutch thats what its there for mate .seen lots of smart asses gear boxs in workshops with broken shafts and they say they bin doing it for years
If you are a Driver with one year on the road, you should be able to shift without the clutch! Only for reverse and first gear. Why, your left legwont fall off after shifting every shift. Less wear on the clutch $$$$ and it's smoother. Just never force any gear like GMAN said. Now if you want to replace Clutches and Clutch break every 8 months, then clutch all the time!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver of the Year View Post
If you are a Driver with one year on the road, you should be able to shift without the clutch! Only for reverse and first gear. Why, your left legwont fall off after shifting every shift. Less wear on the clutch $$$$ and it's smoother. Just never force any gear like GMAN said. Now if you want to replace Clutches and Clutch break every 8 months, then clutch all the time!
our roads are hilly and windy and we use 18 speed gearboxs,double clutch all the time ,replace clutch bout 500,000miles ,dont see were you need to do it every 8mths
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Board Icon

Cheryl, you are doing fine. Don't let the trainer stress you out. Are you still in school... or with a trainer on the road (an actual freight run?) There is a difference. The LATTER will yell at you and give you very little help. The FORMER should NEVER yell at you, as he is an "instructor" and you are there to learn.

I was "trained" (in school,) on older trucks. 8 speeds, 10 speeds and 13 speeds. They are ALL different. What are you driving?

My school provided a "chart" of sorts for which gear at which ROAD speed.... for each of the different trucks. You might try asking if they have one.

The rpm's will differ for the different tranny's (a little,) but I tend to go with the higher estimates here. Upshifting, you need to get above 15k for most tranny's in order to get the road speed up AND to be able to let the "load" off the tranny as you let up and "ease" the shifter into the gear which you should already have it positioned to "fall into." The reason shifting without the clutch is called "floating gears" is that once you get the rpms AND the road speed up to a certain level, letting off the gas will feel like "coasting" as you ease the shifter into the next gear. Works the same way using the clutch.

Don't "baby" the truck! If you're afraid to accelerate, you'll NEVER get the road speed OR rpm's up to a point where you can take "the load" off of the tranny! You cannot shift while the gears are "engaged" and under strain. As soon as you depress the clutch, the road speed will decrease faster than you can keep the rpm's up.

That's why GMAN said you needed MORE (higher) rpm's when downshifting. Because the weight of the truck/ momentum/ will keep going while the rpm's will drop quickly.

Also, as Roadhog mentioned, LISTEN to the tranny! You do need to "wind it out" a bit... but, don't overdo it. There's a point at which the truck will reach a road speed that is too high for that gear. The sound will "flatten out" and you will be "REV LIMITED." At this point, you can get locked into that gear and will have a hard time getting it OUT of gear let alone into the next one.

Double clutching is like doing the Texas Two-step. And as someone said.... you just need a couple of inches on the clutch. More like a "tap." So, technically... it is left foot, right hand (to neutral), then left foot, and right hand to next gear. But, it happens real quick with the left foot! In fact.... If rpm and road speed are synched perfectly... you can just single clutch. The next step is just "floating."

The reason you "grind" gears is that you let the rpms fall too quickly before you make the change with the right hand. This CAN be alleviated by keeping your foot on the accelerator and "maintaining" a certain rpm level.... or even slowly raising them to the level they should have BEEN at.

Like others said.... never try to force a gear. Put the shifter in the proper position [ and that means in LINE with the slot for it ] and then raise, lower, or maintain the rpm's at which it will just fall into place. [when going for the upper gears in each range, the ones to the far right, stick your elbow out like a chicken wing and make sure you get the shifter OVER to that slot!]

Ever hear that great country/folk/rock song by my favorite group (that I can't remember right now).... "Take a load off Annie!" Well.... that's the trick! You gotta get it up to a speed that you can "take the load off the Tranny!" And that load will differ between an empty trailer (in a training situation especially) and a loaded one! Then "two-step" it into the next gear before you lose the feeling!

Don't be afraid to DANCE! The truck already KNOWS the steps! If you hesitate... you will only step on her toes!

Good luck and keep us posted!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
our roads are hilly and windy and we use 18 speed gearboxs,double clutch all the time ,replace clutch bout 500,000miles ,dont see were you need to do it every 8mths
It'd help the clutch last longer if ya stay outa that ditch! How long you been in there anyway?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Ok mitchon, i'll take your experience as your word. To be honest, I never learned to double clutch. I just started shifting without the clutch and to this day I cannot double clutch as fast as just shifting. It's true that a bad shift will damage a u joint or tranny. That's why you never force a gear.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl View Post
hey guys today was better. grinded some gears and on my downshifting, need some work but its my third day on the road. we are driving an older truck and for some reason i have a hard time finding 7th gear and my instructor tends to yell at you instead of teach(if you know what i mean).thanks again for your help you guys anytime you need to tell me how to improve please feel free i need all the advice i can get.
Cheryl, you haven't quit right? we have not heard from you so hopefully you are doing all right.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Board Icon

I'm starting to smell Tiffany here.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver of the Year View Post
Ok mitchon, i'll take your experience as your word. To be honest, I never learned to double clutch. I just started shifting without the clutch and to this day I cannot double clutch as fast as just shifting. It's true that a bad shift will damage a u joint or tranny. That's why you never force a gear.
Mitch is okay. But, he drives dirt roads on an island! lol. Personally? I started out learning to double clutch. But, one of our "instructors" showed how easy and cool it was to "float 'em." I was impressed... and thought I'd never get that good. lol.

Now... like you and most other drivers... I can float 'em, double clutch 'em or single clutch 'em. Skip 'em, slip 'em, or just totally create them out of thin air! lol.

It is... after all.... about the speed with which one can complete the task. The only way the "two-step" works, is if the right hand is lightning fast.

Personally.... I use the clutch (usually double) up to about 6th gear (starting in 3rd, 4th, or 5th.) That gets me above the splitter on a 10-speed, and rolling fast enough to start floating. I can float downgear.... but, I don't usually like to. More wear on the engine, and more chance of "damage" to the tranny. I don't mind tapping the clutch. Besides.... I don't go through every friggin' gear on an OFF ramp.

Class over.... carry on.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.