User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving History what to disclose? what not to disclose?

I am doing further research in the idea of becoming a Werner Team OTR. I couldn't locate the eligibility requirements for the incidents on your driving report. Does anyone have additional information? What types of incidents (moving violations, accidents, etc.) need to be reported? I accidentally backed into a lady at a 4-way stop because someone turned too sharp and I feared they would hit me. The woman I hit, demanded we call the police, and the cop made a report but noone was ticketed. Does that sort of thing need to be reported? Is there are way to get the records, because I do not remember how long ago this happened, but I know it was the last driving incident I have had in the past 3 years. Would this type of incident keep a place like Werner from hiring me? Any info is appreciated!

*Newbie*
Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Go to your local DMV or Driver's License Office or Secretary of State (whatever the place is called where you got your driver's license in your state) and tell them you need a print out of your past driving history for employment purposes. They may charge you some nominal fee (anywhere from free to $20 is normal, depending on the state), and they will give you a copy of everything they have under your drivers license number. Some states offer a variety of reports that vary from 3 year history to as much as ten year driving history. Whatever is on that report is what you should report to your prospective employer.

The above is assuming that you do not currently possess a CDL or are newly licensed and have never worked as a CDL driver. If you have worked as a CDL driver, then you need to also get a copy of your DAC report. Read the page at the following link for all you need to know about DAC: DAC Reports for Truckers ? Get Your Report, Fix Problems

Good luck. I hope your future in trucking turns out to be all that you hope it will be.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Anything that the company finds and you did NOT disclose will be grounds and they will give you the boot. Keep that in mind when your 1000 miles from home with $2.00 in your pocket and no bus ticket home!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
I am doing further research in the idea of becoming a Werner Team OTR. I couldn't locate the eligibility requirements for the incidents on your driving report. Does anyone have additional information? What types of incidents (moving violations, accidents, etc.) need to be reported? I accidentally backed into a lady at a 4-way stop because someone turned too sharp and I feared they would hit me. The woman I hit, demanded we call the police, and the cop made a report but noone was ticketed. Does that sort of thing need to be reported? Is there are way to get the records, because I do not remember how long ago this happened, but I know it was the last driving incident I have had in the past 3 years. Would this type of incident keep a place like Werner from hiring me? Any info is appreciated!

*Newbie*
Just because there was no ticket doesn't mean that there isnt a report and why there was no ticket is a mystery.. clearly you were at fault. Was the backing accident in a car or tractor trailer?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:37 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Anything that the company finds and you did NOT disclose will be grounds and they will give you the boot. Keep that in mind when your 1000 miles from home with $2.00 in your pocket and no bus ticket home!
WHY would anyone go into trucking, with only $2 in his pocket? This concept astounds me.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:46 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Just because there was no ticket doesn't mean that there isnt a report and why there was no ticket is a mystery.. clearly you were at fault. Was the backing accident in a car or tractor trailer?
Hey, Fozzy... I got a question. Why don't companies just require a "down payment" of $10 or so with the application. This will cover the company's expense for pulling WHATEVER term MVR they want! AND... cover the cost of a subsequent DAC report if they think they NEED one. THEN.... they can tell the applicant right up front whether or not they should make the trip to orientation! But.... the RESULTS should be "binding" on the company! No more drivers showing up at orientation just to be sent home! Drug tests, of course, are a different story. Anyone stupid enough to show up without being "clean" is an idiot!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Hey, Fozzy... I got a question. Why don't companies just require a "down payment" of $10 or so with the application. This will cover the company's expense for pulling WHATEVER term MVR they want! AND... cover the cost of a subsequent DAC report if they think they NEED one. THEN.... they can tell the applicant right up front whether or not they should make the trip to orientation! But.... the RESULTS should be "binding" on the company! No more drivers showing up at orientation just to be sent home! Drug tests, of course, are a different story. Anyone stupid enough to show up without being "clean" is an idiot!
Cost's a lot more than 10.00 to clear someone.(MVR,DAC,D/A,National Criminal reports through Hireright are about 60.00 plus administrative time) And you can't determine a hire just from a DAC report. More so if the past employer doesn't subscibe to Hireright. Takes time to send/recieve past employment requests,and sometimes those conflict with a DAC report.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Senior Board Member

When I hired on with USXpress, they didn't even begin to do the background checks until the first day of orientation. They said the reason they do that is that they don't want to run background checks on people that decide at the last moment to not to go to work for them. As many people as they move through their company every week, it makes sense.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

I would tell them EVERYTHING!! Just because it may not have been reported does not mean it did not happen. If you don't report something and they find out, your done!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Rookie

Good luck. I hope your future in trucking turns out to be all that you hope it will be.