Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

you know whats really FUN! bobtailing on a little ice. Yeeeehaw …….. oh ohhhh

Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

When ice shifting, keep your toenails clipped, and you won't go through so many socks and boots.

Nobody ever told me that, and it took me awhile before I figured that out.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

cdreid said:

Quote:
And when you guys luck runs out i hope you survive to apologise to the people you kill.
I don't drive "lucky." If I'm not in control.... and KNOW it.... I get off the road.

Quote:
Ive run all over in ice. Ran through a blizzard in illinois and ohio so bad the DOT shut down the salt trucks and we were literally the only truck on the road... Drove through kansas at 20mph and had the truck and trailer try to slide off the road over and over and over for 150 miles when i wasnt even turning the wheel or changing the rpm.. I had all 18 wheels break loose across a bridge.. the truck started 'folding' and my lumper who was always all about going faster turned snow white.. i Barely saved it by using the breaks.. lightly.....very very very lightly..
I gotta question some of this. For one.... if the DOT shuts down the salt trucks, they usually close the road. Kansas, I KNOW, has road closure gates and would never allow traffic if it was that icy. And.... you drove "out of control" for 150 miles? Really? Why didn't you PARK IT like a smart trucker would? And you think "I'M" crazy? lol.

Quote:
Ill shift in snow. As long as you know what youre doing and arent a hotrodder youre good. But if youre wheels are on ice shifting is like stabbing the breaks.. you may get lucky and not have a problem. You may be good and compensate for problems. Or the back end may decide to go its own way.. or worse the front end. Shifting on ice (not 2' of snow which actually doesnt give bad traction at all) is suicide.
This thread started off with a question from a one-hit poster. If you'll recall... some of us were just trying to figure out what the "term" meant. I still think there may be quite a bit of differentiation in the type of conditions we are talking about. But, for me.... I was trying to describe a type of shifting where the traction between the wheels and the road is NOT disrupted (as it would be by stabbing the brakes - or double clutching.)

Just last winter (I think) I was eastbound in Nebraska on some "icy" snowpack and ice mix. Had already seen a few turned over in the median. Came up behind a snowplow and changed lanes to go around him. All of a sudden, I realized HE must be the "lead" plow, cuz.... immediately the road changed from glazed with a bit of salt, to some really slippery ****! (Didn't even LOOK any different!) My drives slid out from under me, and my doubles started to "fold" (is that what you were referring to?) I let off the fuel, corrected my steering, then upshifted and slightly increased my speed to straighten out my train. Then, after regaining control, I gradually slowed down and then DOWNshifted once before taking the very next exit which luckily had a Bosselman's at it, and parked it till the sun had a chance to work it's magic. It took me about 5 seconds to realize that there would BE no steering control, let alone drive traction, on this stretch of road... and even "I" don't push my skills to that limit.

Anyone who would drive on that stuff (even at 20 mph) for 150 miles is crazy.... unless you want to stay BEHIND the snowplow, and I ain't gonna DO that.

I think it comes down to knowing your truck, FEELING your truck and the road, and experience. Some of us have it... others shouldn't be on the road. Everytime we have a big storm (like is happening now,) there are many wrecks... usually involving big trucks and inexperienced drivers. People get killed. I don't plan on being one... or causing one. If you don't know how to drive in it... get off the road. In fact, if you have the option, get off the road anyways!

Good luck to all of you out there. And be safe. If you don't KNOW how to shift on "slippery" stuff (whatever it might be,) then don't. But, if that means you can't keep up with the SAFE flow of traffic.... YOU are the "hazard" and you need to park it.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Senior Board Member

If my drivers didn't shift on ice they would maybe get one trip from WI to CA and back each winter. Instead of each week.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Board Icon

WI to CA is an easy trip most of the time. Especially if you can drop down from Salt Lake City to LA.
Donner Pass can get ugly, and slow going when Wyoming is icy and 50 mph cross winds… but I love that trip far more than going to the eastern seaboard in a snow storm.

Ice sucks, but I don't like white outs even more.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

I just get a kick out of those that don't drive in bad weather. Or tell others not to. Or sit for 2-3 days in Reno because"I don't throw iron".

Had one call me in the middle of the night to say they were in the rest area on elk and it was snowing bad, what should I do? Told them to park it until june and I would have the other drivers stop each day and give him change for the vending machines.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Board Icon

Sounds like you have a good crew, and may God be with them this winter!
The storms are already fierce this year, and it's going to be a challenging winter driving.

So far my area (Traverse City) is getting a normal start to winter. The worst has been stopping short of us, but hammering Wisconsin and Minnisota ugly.

I'm not driving this winter, and planning to do lots of ice fishing.
This is the first winter in a long time for me to get out on the lake, and I'm looking forward to it, no matter how brutal. ​Ice Road Trucker with an ATV

Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Eastern WI(GB area)has had just a little snow. Kind of cold yesterday but it will get colder. Over on the lake(Kewaunee)it's still being warmed by the water. Of course in may it will still be cooled by the water.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Board Icon

Y'all boyz need to move SOUF! (spit!)

Elk Mtn is a "dicey" spot! That's where I've encountered most of my "white-outs." And the wind can be brutal... especially if you have empty doubles, or a light load. But, you'll never find ME parked in that rest area! I always check what's ahead of me, and if I don't like it... or trust it... I shut down in one of the truckstops on either side of it. I like my showers and steak dinners! lol.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I'm not driving this winter, and planning to do lots of ice fishing.
This is the first winter in a long time for me to get out on the lake, and I'm looking forward to it, no matter how brutal. ​Ice Road Trucker with an ATV
Really glad to hear that, Hoggie! I know you've missed it!