User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default America Truck Driving School in Corona, CA

Hi, I'm a 24-year-old male from Orange County, CA. I currently drive a 2 axle, flatbed, straight truck (International 4300) for a metal distributor that deals with aerospace and military contractors. I've decided to obtain my CDL on my own accord and got my Class A permit/combination vehicles and air brakes endorsement yesterday at the DMV. I plan on obtaining my HazMat, tank, and doubles/triples endorsements later on.

I'm currently in the process of finding a school to get training in order to pass the DMV inspection/skills/driving exam. I want to stay with my current employer so I don't want to take the train and hire route like CR England does. I was referred to America Truck Driving School in Corona by my friend's father and uncle. They both attended that school a few years ago and said they had a smooth experience and passed their exams on the first try. They only trained in 8spd day cab tractors with 28' trailers, though. I realize you typically get what you pay for and you should learn as much as possible but my schedule and financial situation limits my options.

Has anyone here attended this school? They're a small school so it's been difficult to find outsider information and reviews. They said I could pay as I go at no extra cost and they're able to train me on the weekends since I work 8-5 Mon-Fri. I'd prefer not to attend a CR England/Swift type school unless I'm stuck without any other options. I do realize most companies want a driver with experience and OTR is a great way to gain it.

Here's their website: America Truck Driving School | Commercial Truck Driving Orange County

If anyone here can recommend another school to check out I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by bp88; 03-31-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I went to Advance Driving School in Fontana. I went to a weekend program they had. You'd have to check and see what their program is now. In went in 2006.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
I went to Advance Driving School in Fontana. I went to a weekend program they had. You'd have to check and see what their program is now. In went in 2006.
Is that the school off of Jurupa Ave? These guys: Veterans Truck Driving School | Just another WordPress site ?

I read a review on them yesterday and it wasn't very good. I realize people will have good things and bad things to say about a particular school, but so far America Truck Driving School in Corona is the only one around that does pay-as-you-go at no extra cost, weekends, and all one-on-one training; at least as far as I'm aware of. And they don't charge much compared to other schools. They train in single axle, day cab FL70's with 8spd's and a 28' trailer. I plan on doing local flatbed driving picking up metal bars and other pieces for aerospace/military so that's essentially the type of truck I'd be driving for work. I'd drive whatever I had to for work, though, but I'd probably take a refresher course first or at least drive with a trainer for a bit if I worked elsewhere with a longer trailer/bigger truck.

How was your personal experience at Advance? I'm definitely open to other options but I really want to narrow it down based on reviews from real alumni.

So far I'm looking at ATDS in Corona, Dootson in Arcadia, and Advanced (one you mentioned). Anyone have any other schools to look at?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Rookie

Not to beat an old thread, but I stumbled upon this. I just finish training at America Truck Driving School. They were a great school. The hardest part I had was testing at the San Bernardino DMV site. Those examiners are hit or miss. I got a nice lady, but I saw others had some real picky examiners. Too bad I didn't finish a little later. The DMV just moved to Fontana to a brand new place. Looks nice, right off the 10. Anyways, the school is good in my experience. They have day cabs/short trailers and sleeper trucks with long trailers, just depends on the course you do. I opted for training in both, since it gives you more experience with a variety of equipment. I've been a lurker here for a while. Now on to the job search.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Camarodan, how's the job search going? Any luck?