User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Concerns

I recently got my class a in the state of Alaska it was rough finding a job but i got lucky and got hired on by someone who is willing to train me ill be driving from ANCHORAGE to SEWARD a few times a week im lookig for advice on maintaining control on mountain roads and what other experienced truckers have gone thru during the start bof there career Ihave a lil girl who needs her daddy to come home everynight.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sly View Post
I recently got my class a in the state of Alaska it was rough finding a job but i got lucky and got hired on by someone who is willing to train me ill be driving from ANCHORAGE to SEWARD a few times a week im lookig for advice on maintaining control on mountain roads and what other experienced truckers have gone thru during the start bof there career Ihave a lil girl who needs her daddy to come home everynight.
Can't say as I'm familiar with the particular route (or mountains) you will be driving, but...

When topping ANY hill or mountain, expect the worst conditions on the downhill side. Maybe icy even tho it wasn't going up. If it says use a lower gear, DO IT! You should always go down a hill in at least one gear less than the one you were in when you topped it. If you have Jake brakes, make sure you are in a gear that will allow you to USE them to control your speed going down. You should only have to use the brakes on a very limited basis, and may even need to "rest" your foot on the clutch occaissionaly to keep from slowing down TOO much. [This kicks off the jakes for a minute or two.]

Remember that the posted speed limit is for CARS... not trucks. You have a lot of weight behind you that will try to take over on the way down. YOU must keep the tractor in control of that weight.

If there is no traffic behind you, and it's not illegal, don't be afraid to change to the "inside" lane going around curves. ALWAYS expect the worst, such as a steer tire blowout on the outside going around a curve. You don't want to go over the edge.

Take your time. You want to arrive alive! Don't let ANYONE behind you force you to drive your truck to suit them! But... be courteous of them.

If I think of more, I'll get back to you. Oh... and that "white knuckle" feeling the first time? It's normal. We've ALL experienced it. It will pass as you become more comfortable with the way the truck handles the curves. Remember... all that weight will help "nail" you to the road. Just don't "test" it!

Oops, one more thing. People will tell you that you CANNOT downshift going down a hill. That is not true, and could cause you to lose control or burn your brakes if you chose too high of a gear. If you find you should be in a lower gear, use the brakes sharply and with purpose, to slow you down to a speed LOWER than the gear you want to go to. Then, use the clutch to downshift to that gear. Don't be going too fast for that gear, or you will get "stuck" in neutral. However, if that happens? Just go back to the higher gear and use the brakes again to keep from losing speed control. It's not a good idea to downshift after you've already started down the hill. But... it is NOT impossible to do! Just try not to get in that situation.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm going to add one little piece of advice , You can go down a mountain a hundred time to slow but you'll only go down it once to fast! Think about it!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I NEVER get in a hurry when it comes to mountains. The few minutes you may gain by going faster could result in your death or that of someone else. Back when I first started, we didn't have engine brakes, so we had to take it very easy off mountains. Often, we would hug the shoulder so that traffic could pass. An engine brake, when properly used, can save your brakes and could save your life. No load of freight is worth your life. Always give yourself extra time so that you are not pushed to hurry.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice Ill Definatly keep it slow and safe I love being alive for some crazy reason...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Concerns

I don't use a Jake on wet road surfaces.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Rookie

Hey thanks for the advice Golfhobo I am a lot less fearful now that I've had the time to let it all soak in I'm really looking forward to the challenge its why I got my license in the first place. I start my training hopefully tomorrow I'm actually excited my long term goal is to drive the haul road up here just so I can say I did it...
Old 03-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Rookie

Also just found out that my truck is a free kin automatic never drove one but I'm curious to hear anyone's opinion on them.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sly View Post
Also just found out that my truck is a free kin automatic never drove one but I'm curious to hear anyone's opinion on them.
In the mountains? You're screwed! Sorry.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 AM
Rookie

DAng there taht bad huh? Ive only driven a manual when I was in school and i liked it i felt like I had alot more control with my spped and engine power I kinda figured that there would be some kind of issue not being able to shift gears to control my spped. Now Im gettin leary