User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Class A for 8 years but havent driven for 4 years

Howdy all. I got my class A from Central tech in Drumwright, OK. (an Excellent school BTW) I then drove for Passmore and Sons (flatbed) for a year and a half. When he sold to Prime, I moved over to driving a tanker hauling crude oil out of the fields in Texas. I got hurt(at home) and had to drive a desk job for 4 years now. I decided I was ready to go back out on the road. I went to Lawton, Ok and took a 40 hr refresher that I paid for myself.($650) Problem is, I have gotten nowhere getting a job. Every company I have applied to says I have been off the road to long/ they don't accept refresher courses, etc. The only exception was glass hauling out of wichita falls, tx and I don't think my shoulder is up to what I have read about breaking down the equipment.

Now, I am 56 years old and started driving farm equipment when I was 14. I have NEVER in my life gotten a moving violation(3 parking tickets as a kid don't count do they?)!
I have 20 years in the US Air Force, 6 of them as quality assurance/safety inspector on Jet Engines/aircraft and 13 of them driving in Japan, Philippines, and various europeon contries so I know my way around a vehicle. I live in western oklahoma and am looking for a regional or dedicated in my area. Af anyone knows someone and could help me I would appreciate it.

I will try to check back here evry day, Thank you all
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Good luck.....I have over 15 years driving experience..haz/mat, gasoline, a few years w/ doubles. I decided to open my own business for a few years, then fix a long time back issue. 5/6 years no driving. Decided I wanted to go back driving, I had not been paying attention to what was going on with the industry (insurance/govt regulations) We like everything..the insurance industry RUINED this one. Your not getting ANY kind of decent Class A job w/o that VERIFIABLE experience. You can start over from scratch and go over the road for a year or two for **** pay. But that's about it. That's why there is suck a driver shortage..there are PLENTY of good qualified drivers who are getting screwed because of this bull**** !!! At least that's the way it is out here on the East coast. Sorta like how a company's want a degree in ANYTHING for a job, and will take the guy w/ a degree over an experienced veteran cause he does not have one.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Being in Western Ok. I start checking around with the oil compnys, you might have to spend some time away from in Tx but it would be a start. How long ago was that refreasher course? Have you tried all of the smaller local co.?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Board Regular

I was out (on purpose) two years. I knew beyond three every decent company would require a refresher (you can pay for one btw theyre like 2 grand tops) so i took a job at a moving company doing mostly class b work but i was hired as a class a driver (I did do class A as well.. the moving industry is different though). That 2 years would have been too much for large companies. Left there after a year (BAD management) and went to work codriving with a buddy in his lease truck (also had another offer that had excellent hometime but elogs and 60mph). Worked there 4 months til i couldnt stand it anymore. Point is i sortof wedged my toe back in the door just in time. You could follow the same path. Youre not going to ghet the .40-.50 a mile jobs though til you put 6 months or a year back in. Try a local moving company. Try foodservice. Or go to a training company
Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Out of the 29 companies I hire for, the only two that would look at you and most likely give you a chance is Averitt and Schneider
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Senior Board Member