User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default im new

ok so im 20yr old and working on getting my cdl. I drive a yard dog at hobby lobby distribution so I'm pretty good at backing. They let me get a truck and practice in the yard after work some times and I do fine shifting up and putting a 53 in a tight spot, my problem is down shifting. the truck is a freightliner Columbia with a 10 speed. Any help would be great.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You need to downshift at a higher rpm than when you up shift. You should be able to effortlessly downshift if you can get your engine rpm's at around 1,500 to 1,700 rpm. Never force the truck into a lower or higher gear. Use the engine to let you know when to shift. With some experience you should be able to shift up or down by only listening to the sound of your engine. If the truck doesn't want to shift without scraping the gears, use your throttle to raise or lower your rpm's until the shifter easily moves into the next gear.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Rookie

thanks. ill have to try it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Board Regular

What gman said is >exactly< right. Once you get it down you'll be able to float downshifting. Some tips: Dont let it go below 1000 or 1100 before you downshift (this stuff depends on the truck a lot theyre all a hair different). when you punch tthe clutch you can floor the accelerator, flip to the lower gear... not forcing it but put it to where you feel the pressure if you know what i mean. As it drops to the correct rpm it should just slide in. If you screw up and panic just drop another gear (or TWO ). As long as you have your flashers on and dont have some tailgating moron behind you everyone knows what's going on and feel bad for ya having to crawl up that hill while they fly around you.

Also: youre going to have huge problems finding a driving job at your age but gl and i hope you find it. Just remember be CAREFUL out there and make sure you keep family and friends. Dont give up your life for the road youre in the prime of your life now.

Tags
down shifting, new.