User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Home time for new Roehl driver no experience

Hi, I am really interested in truck driving, but home time is very important to me. Even if it costs me money, I'm okay with that. From what I found (looking through these forums) is that Roehl has the best home time. 7/7 or 7/3 would be amazing, but I am wondering how much experience is needed to actually get home time like that? Is it even possible right out of school? I haven't even started school yet, and I just want to have realistic expectations.

I am located in Long Beach California which is in the middle of Los Angeles and Orange County. Does anyone know of any companies out here that have good home time?

Any help would be appreciated, I really just can't find any truthful info anywhere.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Senior Board Member

You could get into a 7/7 program or something like that after training. For training you will be out over the road for about 6 weeks with only a possible chance of swinging by the house. Once you complete the training it's up to you & the company BUT for a 7/7 program you and another driver must live close together and will switch off in one truck. Your pay will also be cut in half so instead of makeing say $40,000 a year your gross would be $20,000 can you really live on that? Also keep in mind your food costs while out will be higher.
It may work for some but I don't know how.
OH BTW Roehl does have a drop lot someplace out there, Orange???

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Rookie

Thank you very much for your reply. I know it might sound crazy, but I think I could deal with that salary ( It wouldn't be my only source of income, and I also have very cheap housing). I am really looking to just get my year of OTR over with so I can look for a local driving job. I was wondering though, will affect my chances of getting a local job later? If I do a lot of home time in my first year, I wont have as many miles under my belt, will that be okay? Is one year experience good enough or will they look at how many miles experience I have.

If anyone has any info, please let me know, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulL View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. I know it might sound crazy, but I think I could deal with that salary ( It wouldn't be my only source of income, and I also have very cheap housing). I am really looking to just get my year of OTR over with so I can look for a local driving job. I was wondering though, will affect my chances of getting a local job later? If I do a lot of home time in my first year, I wont have as many miles under my belt, will that be okay? Is one year experience good enough or will they look at how many miles experience I have.

If anyone has any info, please let me know, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
It may effect the local job hunt because of the lack of miles but I really don't know for sure, some local places will hire newbies with NO otr exp. but thats getting tougher to find.

As far as other income goes, you do know that lagally you have to log all hours worked as long (even if you clean houses) as your getting paid for your time. That may effect your available hours to drive and no company will want that!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Rookie

I went through their driving training. It was 5 days a week for 4 weeks. 1.5 days for flatbed securement. Then otr with the trainer was something like 10-11 days. If you're not use to being out for a while, maybe try their 7/7 or 7/3 untill you get use to it. But I wouldn't stay on the home time plus plan for too long.

Like repete said your income wouldn't be great. Also school I think is fully paid off after 120,000 miles. So right out the gate if you were NOT on that 7/7 or 7/3 it would take you a little over a year to get that 120,000 miles. Payment of the school is pro rated in 10,000 mile increments.

I wasn't with them for too long, just remember everyone has a different exp. with each company.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
OH BTW Roehl does have a drop lot someplace out there, Orange???
Terminal in fontana.

http://www.goroehl.com/downloads/LocationsMap.pdf
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Board Regular

I did the math on their programs back in the day man. 7/7 sounds good but the money is really REALLY low
The 7/3 program though you get the best of both worlds.
You need 1 driver or 2 drivers close to you respectively to do those programs.
And youre smart man dont let anyone harass you for wanting to be with the people you love. Id try seriously hard to get a 7/3 gig.