User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Inexperienced driver needs help ASAP!!!

Hey so this is what happened:

I went to school with England back in Dec. and got my cdl and went out otr with a trainer for my phase one 20k miles. A week after I started driving they gave me a load to the Bronx...during a Noreaster...due at 0200. I had an accident in NJ on 95 that involved another truck. No injuries, no citation, purely due to weather.
I was told I had to do a safety review so we started getting loads headed to SLC area. Two weeks after my accident I was pulling into a mom and pop truckstop in NE that was needless to say ill equipped for the size of a 53. I scraped my tandem tyre on a curb, popping it and slightly bent my rim. The next day went in for my safety review. Now remember I have driven only for 3 weeks.
England terminated me. No citations or injuries and still they terminated me. I have tried every company I can think of and noone will hire me because of the termination due to accident until I work for another company for 6 months. I am a single mom and in dire need of this job. Please help!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Rookie

I'm sorry you're going though this. As far as otr companies go you're mostly sol. If your child is under 18 why would you want to be otr anyway? I don't know where you live but my only suggestions is maybe try local dump truck companies or refuse companies like waste management or national serv all. it's not glamorous work but it's consistent pay and recession proof if you can get used to the smell. You'd also have an advantage being that you're a woman. If those two options don't sound like something you'd like to pursue, then forget about trucking and do something else. There's no money to be made out of driving school. The companies are in the driver's seat because you have no experience and they know your options are limited. Insurance companies dictate hiring and with your inexperience and accident they'll pass on ou for another warm body out of school. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Senior Board Member

It may help if we know where you live
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Rookie

You can always try buying your own truck,but then your insurance will be sky high,not to mention most companies will probably shy away from you.you should probably try waiting about 6 months to a yr before you get back out on the rode!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm trying to understand why you had no one to ask about the decisions you made. No one was with you? What's your DAC say? BOL
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member

It would help if we had your location, but have you tried the online apps available thu this site? One app goes to hundreds (IIRC) of companies. Thats a good way to start from there start narrowing the list down and then start visiting each companies web site and file THERE app. Many company's don't pay much attention to the generic/mass app.
Also look around your town, go to a nearby truck stop and see what local trucks are there, (You might want to mention what your doing to the T/S managment) and talk with the local drivers. like some one said check with the local dirt movers/septic haulers ect. that way with a little luck you could be home every night.
DO NOT BUY OR LEASE A TRUCK!! Thats some of the WORST advice anyone could give!
This may be a blessing in diguise! Your now free of CRE and there fleece program.
Tell me, where was your trainer when these incidents happened? I bet she/he was in the bunk right? Thats not training thats team driveing!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh yeah I forgot! Do NOT wait! Your CDL has a shelf life. As a newbie if your out of the seat for much more than a month or so companies will start to lose interest in you as your limited skills get rusty. GOOD LUCK!!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Rookie

I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania. And yes my trainer was in the bunk when they happened. Thank you so much for the replies.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Board Regular

Youre ok. Dont freak out. the guy who said yorue sol is a moron. It sounds like your trainer was a pos and backstabbed you.
RE the truck wreck i dont know the details but how much was the damage and did it go on your dac as a preventable.
The tire thing is nothing. ive never bent a rim but i once blew a tire on by having one tandem run across the edge of a freakish shipper scale (found out later you had to be like 40 feet back to make it around that 3" high ledge). No serious company is going to give a sh**.
CR England has a HORRIBLE reputation for robbing drivers. Nothing else just that they rob and mistreat drivers. Theyre a "christian company" i believe? that should tell you everhything. Theyre amoral thieves.

If you live in PA you should be able to hire on with ANY major training company. There is a crapton of freight in and out of PA and people dont particularly like to run it because of the weather and mountains.
Dont look for companies on thsi website other than in the forums. Look on craigslist and search the net hard. Also head to a truckstop and grab some of those ad-books that masquerade as magazines.

This isnt hte end of your career. Unless you flipped a truck, have an abandonment, hurt someone or did major damage due to Bad driving youre fine. IF that accident was really no fault a reputable company isn't going to worry about it. And most training companies are self insured so no insurance company to say no. Dont get depressed man bad **** happens to everyone.