Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Class A for 8 years but havent driven for 4 years (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/43785-class-8-years-but-havent-driven-4-years.html)

CoffeeFreak 02-17-2013 06:29 AM

Class A for 8 years but havent driven for 4 years

Howdy all. I got my class A from Central tech in Drumwright, OK. (an Excellent school BTW) I then drove for Passmore and Sons (flatbed) for a year and a half. When he sold to Prime, I moved over to driving a tanker hauling crude oil out of the fields in Texas. I got hurt(at home) and had to drive a desk job for 4 years now. I decided I was ready to go back out on the road. I went to Lawton, Ok and took a 40 hr refresher that I paid for myself.($650) Problem is, I have gotten nowhere getting a job. Every company I have applied to says I have been off the road to long/ they don't accept refresher courses, etc. The only exception was glass hauling out of wichita falls, tx and I don't think my shoulder is up to what I have read about breaking down the equipment.

Now, I am 56 years old and started driving farm equipment when I was 14. I have NEVER in my life gotten a moving violation(3 parking tickets as a kid don't count do they?)!
I have 20 years in the US Air Force, 6 of them as quality assurance/safety inspector on Jet Engines/aircraft and 13 of them driving in Japan, Philippines, and various europeon contries so I know my way around a vehicle. I live in western oklahoma and am looking for a regional or dedicated in my area. Af anyone knows someone and could help me I would appreciate it.

I will try to check back here evry day, Thank you all

AUGIE351SVT 02-19-2013 05:20 PM

Good luck.....I have over 15 years driving experience..haz/mat, gasoline, a few years w/ doubles. I decided to open my own business for a few years, then fix a long time back issue. 5/6 years no driving. Decided I wanted to go back driving, I had not been paying attention to what was going on with the industry (insurance/govt regulations) We like everything..the insurance industry RUINED this one. Your not getting ANY kind of decent Class A job w/o that VERIFIABLE experience. You can start over from scratch and go over the road for a year or two for **** pay. But that's about it. That's why there is suck a driver shortage..there are PLENTY of good qualified drivers who are getting screwed because of this bull**** !!! At least that's the way it is out here on the East coast. Sorta like how a company's want a degree in ANYTHING for a job, and will take the guy w/ a degree over an experienced veteran cause he does not have one.

repete 02-21-2013 07:35 AM

Being in Western Ok. I start checking around with the oil compnys, you might have to spend some time away from in Tx but it would be a start. How long ago was that refreasher course? Have you tried all of the smaller local co.?

cdreid 02-26-2013 06:07 PM

I was out (on purpose) two years. I knew beyond three every decent company would require a refresher (you can pay for one btw theyre like 2 grand tops) so i took a job at a moving company doing mostly class b work but i was hired as a class a driver (I did do class A as well.. the moving industry is different though). That 2 years would have been too much for large companies. Left there after a year (BAD management) and went to work codriving with a buddy in his lease truck (also had another offer that had excellent hometime but elogs and 60mph). Worked there 4 months til i couldnt stand it anymore. Point is i sortof wedged my toe back in the door just in time. You could follow the same path. Youre not going to ghet the .40-.50 a mile jobs though til you put 6 months or a year back in. Try a local moving company. Try foodservice. Or go to a training company

Sheepdancer 03-07-2013 05:45 AM

Out of the 29 companies I hire for, the only two that would look at you and most likely give you a chance is Averitt and Schneider

Bigmon 03-08-2013 03:54 PM

and they wonder why there is a so called driver shortage