User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for guidance regarding best way to obtain training I need

Hello I am new to this forum and am seeking guidance from all or any experienced CDLA drivers that visit here.
I am in my mid 40s. Good health. Out of work. Have always worked in manufacturing and equestrian jobs.
My father drove tractor trailer for over 30 years. And he drove all of the types of trailers if memory serves me correctly.
Anyway...to get to the point. I am out of work...no jobs in my area within 100 miles for manufacturing or equestrian. I am single and only have my one small dog who has been with me for years now.

I want very much to become a CDL A driver. I traveled with my father a great deal when he drove and found it to be a hard job but yet one that seemed to be what I could call...my idea of living. I DO realize it is hard work and not great pay most of the time. It is bad roads, hard deliveries, DOT regulations etc.

I have my CDL A permit. It is going to expire soon. I do not have the money to attend a training school for CDL and I am in arrears in a student loan so I do not qualify for New York State tuition assistance. I have read about companies that will train you and then you repay them as you work for them. I have heard good and bad in relation to these companies offering the CDLA.

I was wondering if any of you would know of a company that would offer me the chance to hire on with my permit and drive with an experienced driver...gain the experience I need and assist me in being able to obtain my license. I KNOW this is a long shot. But I am a good hard worker. Not afraid of giving a hard days work for an employer who appreciates me and my labors.

If nobody knows of how I may be able to hire on with a permit; would you have guidance on any other way I could gain my needed training/experience in order to achieve my goal of CDL A license? Any and all solid guidance would be appreciated.

My email is [email protected]
Or I will check in here for responses if I can figure out how to check back...this is my first time here.

Thank you in advance for your support and guidance. I appreciate it!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would check some of the training carriers such as Roehl, Swift, Millis, Covenant, US Xpress, Schneider, CRST, Stevens. You will need to check with them for current requirements. Most require a minimum work agreement of usually a year. If you leave prior to that time you will need to pay them for your training.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Check with your local NYS employment office, they may have training funds availalble for you to attend a local school and get your cdl thru them.(out of a class of 10, I was 1 of 2 that paid our own way! the rest was state paid) That would be MUCH better than oweing a company and end up working at starvation wages for a year to repay them.
Question; Do you have plans for some one to care for your dog while your away? You may find a company that allows pets but not while your training and that will be atleast 4-6 weeks.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Rookie
Default looking for guidance

Thank you for your guidance. I did check our local E&T and they will pay $1000 towards a local CDL A training class but the class total fee is $4000 and I cant come up with rest of the tuition.
Sounds like I am running up against the provervial brick wall....which makes me very upset as I was really hoping to get a way to do this.
I have heard horror stories of the company training and how they rip you off and take all the tuition $ out of your checks first...so I really dont want to go that route.
As for my dog...yes I think my Mom would watch out for her while I was gone...but sounds like I dont have to think about that now right...
....darnit!!
I do want to thank you for your time in responding...wishing you a safe trip wherever you are going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Check with your local NYS employment office, they may have training funds availalble for you to attend a local school and get your cdl thru them.(out of a class of 10, I was 1 of 2 that paid our own way! the rest was state paid) That would be MUCH better than oweing a company and end up working at starvation wages for a year to repay them.
Question; Do you have plans for some one to care for your dog while your away? You may find a company that allows pets but not while your training and that will be atleast 4-6 weeks.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Rookie

Thank you GMAN.....I have heard some bad stories about training carriers....would you happen to have any type of info on which company may be the best IF I decide to try to go this route??
Thanks again for your help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I would check some of the training carriers such as Roehl, Swift, Millis, Covenant, US Xpress, Schneider, CRST, Stevens. You will need to check with them for current requirements. Most require a minimum work agreement of usually a year. If you leave prior to that time you will need to pay them for your training.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Board Regular

Contender dont take anything you read on these boards too seriously from any of us (well except gman and maybe vassago if he's alive). Truckers bitch it's our thing.
Any of the training companies will put you in an awesome truck. Most of them will make you money if youre a worker (dont go to swift for gods sake).
Your only shot without school period is a farm or a local moving company. At a farm you can just get a cdl and drive. Moving companies train their drivers from the inside. It's rough work. Some companies will never hire you without school. Ever.

The real "bad" about training is youre under extreme stress (it's worse than basic training). Some trainers are scumbags.. make that a lot of them. Even the good ones can be hardline cause they have to be.
when u get your own truck youre lonely, a lil scared about the future, stressed and not sure what is expected. Truthfully you'll never get feedback on how youre doing.
My very wise truckign school president said "you have 3 choices : hometime, money, truck. You pick the order.. you cant have all three."
For money and to see the country go schneider.
Roehl used to be the king of hometime (with hidious trucks and crap money because of the hometime)
Covenant is a "christian" company. Translation they'll rob you blind.
Swift .. jsut dont.
Stevens heard some good some bad.
CRST same.
US Xpress ive heard very bad and very very good. They ran electrolux. If theyd give me a dedicated from the Iowa plants down to the sc plans you couldnt pry me out of their trucks.
There are smaller companies that do training. Check craigslist, careerbuilder, indeed, etc etc.