User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Dana,

Thanks for the update. I, too have been looking into Schneider, but I may return to the police department. I'm going to private message you with some questions, as I don't have access to a US land line right now b/c of my remote location (Afghanistan). If you don't mind keep us updated on your progress towards your new adventure.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Rookie

Actually I only had the option to email you so, I emailed you some questions.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
Thanks for the info GMAN. Is he clearing $750.00 after all his expenses, ie: truck payment, food fuel ect? I do have enough finances to carry me for several months concerning truck payments. My situation is kind of like playing with a double edge sword. I have no debt, no credit card payments, car payments or house payments. No criminal history.

I have a Class A CDL with a very good driving record. I do not however have 3 years combined prove-able driving experience out of the last five years. I walked into a local company this week and they loved my record and background. They told me that since they run the 150 mile radius and were not required to fill out logbooks that they were also exempt from FMCSA regulations. I just walked out shaking my head. I have deleted 5 e-mails from them asking why I just got up and left. I answered the first one, I guess they just did not like my answer. I was not rude, I just told them that I was not prepared to lose my CDL to further their gain.

I can drive for several companies in my area but they are the ones placing the drivers at risk. I get tired of seeing ads from the same company stating: "Driver Needed, Must have Clean Driving Record". Most of their fleets are not that large and most of their "Snap Shots" are deplorable.

So now I am trying to make an informed decision. I thought about teaming up. There are to many cons for me at this time. So I will just keep running through the threads and weight all my options and see where I can fit in the best. Thanks again for the advice.
That is after all truck expenses, such as payments, fuel, etc., It does not include food or personal travel expenses. It also doesn't include any expenses such as truck repairs, tires, etc., Those costs can vary from week to week. Although I would advise against doing a lease with a carrier, if you decide to proceed, you should make sure that you can own the truck if you can complete the lease. Schneider has trucks that they sell for around $20,000. I would expect that you can get one financed with a good down payment. I believe that Schneider has their own finance company. Having a little patience will save you thousands of dollars. If you can control your desire to lease a truck in order to save some money, you will have a much lower monthly payment and make much more money than if you get involved in a lease. Many leases are designed to only "rent" you a truck for a period of time without having the option of buying the equipment. If you paid the same amount for a good used truck as you would leasing one, you could pay the truck off in less than a year. The economy is soft. I would not want to commit to a big weekly or monthly payment. There are leasing companies who lease trucks to individuals where you own the truck at the end of the lease. Going with an outside source will allow you to pay a lower monthly payment and to move the truck should you decide that things are not working out at your current carrier. If you get in a hurry, you can easily lose your shirt.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
That is after all truck expenses, such as payments, fuel, etc., It does not include food or personal travel expenses. It also doesn't include any expenses such as truck repairs, tires, etc., Those costs can vary from week to week. Although I would advise against doing a lease with a carrier, if you decide to proceed, you should make sure that you can own the truck if you can complete the lease. Schneider has trucks that they sell for around $20,000. I would expect that you can get one financed with a good down payment. I believe that Schneider has their own finance company. Having a little patience will save you thousands of dollars. If you can control your desire to lease a truck in order to save some money, you will have a much lower monthly payment and make much more money than if you get involved in a lease. Many leases are designed to only "rent" you a truck for a period of time without having the option of buying the equipment. If you paid the same amount for a good used truck as you would leasing one, you could pay the truck off in less than a year. The economy is soft. I would not want to commit to a big weekly or monthly payment. There are leasing companies who lease trucks to individuals where you own the truck at the end of the lease. Going with an outside source will allow you to pay a lower monthly payment and to move the truck should you decide that things are not working out at your current carrier. If you get in a hurry, you can easily lose your shirt.
Brother, it is like you are reading my mind. I have decided to wait at least 6 months because that is what they are going to require. I will not lease in less I will own it. They do have their own finance co and I have already submitted my app. They need 6 months over the road experience and then can slide me over to their O/O side. This is my situation. I am not "Patting Myself On The Back", it is what it is.

I have no family commitments. I have no House, Car or Credit Card Payment, 0. I have a Cell Phone and Car Insurance Bill every month, that's it besides mostly food and cigarets. I have a Class A CDL with Tanker, Double & Triple and I just passed my Hazmat Test today and paid my $83.00 to Virginia DMV, I should have it in the next 3-4 weeks, according to them. I have a +5 on my license. -5 is the worst you can get before it is suspended. My license is valid till 2019. My DOT Medical Card is valid till November 2014 and I renew it every 2 years. I applied for my Passport Card this morning when I left DMV, cost $55.00, I should have it within 6 weeks.

My desire is to run OTR. I have the mentality to install the fridge / freezer and microwave as I am well aware of what it cost to eat at most truck stops and one of my passions in life is cooking. My paperwork is deadly. I use Quick Books Pro for my expenses and receipts. I use Microsoft Street and Trips 2013 with a GPS receiver, as my GPS, 17 inch screen with a mount made to absorb vibrations from the truck. I have the RandMcNally Motor Carrier Laminated 2013 Road Atlas for my Trip Planning. I use Eclipse E-Logs combined with the same GPS Receiver that I use for my GPS. I will run the split log as much as I can, as I very seldom need ten hours of off time, plus driving 5.5 hours driving is a breeze.

I did this in my 20's and 30's, we just did not have all the niceties that are available today. You had a cb radio, change for a phone booth and a cooler full of cokes. Drive Safe!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad that you have decided to slow down a bit. With limited bills, you can save a lot of money in a short time, especially if you plan on eating out of your truck. Eating out of your truck can also enable you to eat healthier. I always encourage anyone who is considering buying a truck to put money aside for emergencies. You have that opportunity while you wait for 6 months to pass. It can give you much peace of mind whn you know that you can take care of any breakdown. I think that Schneider sells mostly Freightliners. The brand should not make much difference, especially with your first truck. The most important thing is to start earning money and saving as much as possible. Once you pay off your first truck you can continue making payments to your savings for your next truck. It sounds like you have given this some thought and have begun to set yourself up in the right way.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the encouragement GMAN. I really have no problem with being a company driver as long as I can still reach my goal of being able to do my own thing. I know this is a hard industry to survive in but right now, so are most of the others. I am pretty good about setting up a budget and sticking to it. Once again, thats for your advice and I will take it to heart. Drive Safe.