User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need to get back out on the road!

I'm tired of getting laid off here in the Nickel City (Buffalo)
I am Class A licensed, been driving straight truck for 7+ years,
Been out of the big rigs since 2003 due to a rollover.
Currently unemployed, need to get back in the big rigs.
I think a refresher or complete truck school is in order.
Any advice on who is better, no $$ to spend, A company
based school?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Avoid the Company school if at all possible. Your not working so you should be able to get funds for a refreasher course, check withyour employment office.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Rookie

Kinda in the same boat..I rolled one over in 2007.. I didn't get charged per say but it's not easy thing to get passed.. Bad thing is on top of that I got a 20 mph over in my personal vehicle a ill over 3 years ago now.. Guess when it rains it pours in my world..lol.. Anyway if you happen to find a company that doesn't mind the roll over please let me know..
Old 01-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member

The roll over and ticket .. well I guess you all ready know. Have you tried the trash haulers? Garbage has to go somewhere and the pay (from what I hear) isn't to bad ya just gotta keep the cab upwind. Also check out the rock haulers in your area and don't forget the small 1 or 2 truck outfits. Ex. about 2 years ago Keystone Auto. was looking for a driver to leave Buff. go to Roch. (pick& drop) then head down to Corning (unload) then back to Buff. easy gig and home daily.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikidave54 View Post
I'm tired of getting laid off here in the Nickel City (Buffalo)
I am Class A licensed, been driving straight truck for 7+ years,
Been out of the big rigs since 2003 due to a rollover.
Currently unemployed, need to get back in the big rigs.
I think a refresher or complete truck school is in order.
Any advice on who is better, no $$ to spend, A company
based school?
If you want to stay in a straight truck, there are several expedited carriers who may need either company drivers or help with placing drivers with owners. If you have had the class A for several years, without a lapse, then you may check with some of the training carriers to see if they can put you with a trainer for a few weeks. It may be necessary to take a refresher course. The challenge at this point, will be to get with someone and stay for at least a year to get recent experience. With it being nearly 10 years since the rollover, it may not be as much of a problem as you might think. Some carriers may still exclude you due to the rollover. If everything on your record is clean, I think that someone will give you a chance to get back in the saddle, depending on the circumstances of the roll over. I believe that your lack of current experience will be more of a problem than anything.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
Kinda in the same boat..I rolled one over in 2007.. I didn't get charged per say but it's not easy thing to get passed.. Bad thing is on top of that I got a 20 mph over in my personal vehicle a ill over 3 years ago now.. Guess when it rains it pours in my world..lol.. Anyway if you happen to find a company that doesn't mind the roll over please let me know..
All carriers will want to take a closer look at the rollover. The 20 mph over the speed may not be an issue as long as it is over three years old. However, it does demonstrate a potential liabiliy due to a lack of concern for public safety. Like the op, the lack of current experience will be something you will need to over come. If you kept your CDL up to date, that will help when it comes to the insurance companies. All you can do is start calling carriers and plead your case.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Rookie

My personal opinion is stay in the straight truck.Pound the pavement and look for a job there..

If you breakdown every single hour in a ''sleeper'' truck,you will be amazed.Many of us only make $6.00 an hour after food and taxes and long long hours away.....Just a thought...Being over the road is a long tough life.I have been at it 25 years as an O/O and i am so happy to be home.If you are married,have kids and a personal life.You may as well say good bye to that...Just a thought...