User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new driver need some help

I'm graduating from NTTS in Jan. I'm 25 and married with a kid, looking for a job that i can be home every weekend and still make good money. I live in Syracuse NY and would not want to uproot my family? Anyone Have any ideas?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Your going to need some training even after NTTS,I hope they explained that to you. Most likely you will have to go out with a trainer from an OTR co. for a few weeks then run OTR or N.E. regional (most drivers hate the NE). I don't know if Gypsum express does traing but they have a place in Baldwinsville and I'd talk to the trash haulers Champain (sp) and I think the name is MBI they took over Santaro off of 481. No need to "uproot my family"
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Rookie

I'm sorry, but this really struck me as funny. Coming out of training and saying you want to be home every weekend is like going in to the military and asking for the same thing- chances are- it ain't going to happen! As Repete said, and I agree, your going to do some OTR time with a trainer, which, for me, when I was a trainer; I keep a student, if he/she was any good; for a minimum of 2 months and we were out 2 weeks at a time before coming back home and if they needed alot of help; I kept them for 4 to 6 months! You won't have to "uproot" your family- they are just going to have to deal with you being gone quit a bit for a year or more. As I told every student before they got in my truck- trucking is not a job; it's a life style and you are either going to love it or hate it- that's just the way it is.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't know the local companies up there, but I know that Werner has an account with Family Dollar in Rome. There's also an account with Owl Wire, methinks, that's based somewhere in NY. Family Dollar will get you home weekly (after your training), but you will earn every cent of it. Oh, and make sure you have a doubles endorsement if you try that account.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Check with your local concrete outfit or a sanitation hauler. You can try the beer and soda companys for driving/ delivery.
down the hill