User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Shifting killed me on my road test {FAIL}

When I pulled out on the road from DPS,I had forgotten the small amount of training I was given in school,and tried driving like I was in a car.The examiner began bouncing like he was on a bull.I was taught to be in the right gear for the speed.I forgot to "NOT USE THE THROTTLE" I got to the first light and thought I was in third,but was in first.Let out the clutch while giving it fuel chased the RPM's all over the tach trying to find a gear.I ended up impeding traffic,and was told to go back to DPS.I do not understand the whole gear for speed thing.Being around Eaton Fuller's 10 speeds in the past when I was a carnie I never heard of it. I do remember hearing from other drivers that it is about knowing what RPM to take it out,and when to put it in gear.I really need some lessons here drivers.I get to retest in a few days.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should be able to shift at around 1,100-1,300 rpm.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM

ohenry, they should of teach you this in school, and you should go to them for a person to person reteach leson. ok im going to take you though a few begenr lesons. 1st gear(also called grany gear or low gear) only use when heave loaded on up hill start, 2nd gear( most the time to the right of rev) this is the gear you will learn in to start the truck in mostion(moving). when starting out place the truck in 2nd gear and slowly let out the cluch(never give the truck any fuel untill the truck is moving and the cluch if fully out, if the truck stalles then the cluch is not ujusted right!!) for beggeners you should be shifting out of gear at 1500 rpms to a higher gear, this is a 2sec/200rpm tranaction entring the next gear at 1300rpms. down shifting is mostly the same let the rpm drop to 1200 cluch out of gear rev up to 1500 cluch into gear about 1400/ learn to 1sec out 1sec in reathom/ older trucks have a cluch brake the only time the cluch should be pushed in all the way is when the truck is compltly stoped ans other time you should have a 2inch gap from floor get use to that now. use the hill of your foot to stop you from pussing your foot toes to the floor and the cluch.

if the trany has a low gear then 1st is same as 2nd ie. rev,1st,2nd(start gear) 3rd,4th ect......rev,low,1st(start gear),2nd,3rd,4th,ect.....

G-man is right as for the newer trucks liking lower rpms but as a begener and for passing your test you will not make the shift in the 2-300rpm and will have the same problum jecking the truck due to low rpms. use the 1500-1300 range and let you traner latter teach you better.

Last edited by LogBook; 11-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Rookie

this is one of the reasons why I really dislike driving schools- they only teach you enough to pass the skills test. Anyway. Learning to shift is something that takes time and practice; one hundred drivers here can give you their advice and you can try every trick or technique we suggest; but really the only way you're going to get it is to get back behind the wheel and spend some time there.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM

O Henry, I have road tested many many drivers over the years. The number one thing I see is drivers trying too hard! Try and relax, take a deep breath and make believe there is an egg on your gas pedal, remember you cant ever break the egg! Most driver have a tendency to over rev a diesel engine and shift when the rpms are too high. Slow it down and excelerate slowly and smoothly, watch your rpms and try shifting at the proper rpm. Also, look on google and google shifting a ten speed truck and lots of videos will pop up that will show you how to shift better.

Practice will make you better. I am an old school driver and really never look at my tachometer while driving, I use my ears instead and shift when I know the engine is at its "sweat spot" this will come with time. Good luck and remember just slow it down and take your time, try shifting at lower rpms it should help.
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~